Main Menu

NorCal 73 Challenger

Started by 7212Mopar, November 12, 2017, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

I got the engine crank over at P and in N the other day but no reverse light. I just changed the switch and got no crank in P or in N but I have reverse light. When center wire at the plug is grounded then the engine crank over. Why I can't get both to work. I am going to pull the switch back out to compare the two. May be is a manufacturing process defect. :steamingmad:
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

7212Mopar

Now I got engine crank and reverse light except the reverse light is on in all forward gears.  This is with the first switch afted i rotate the white plastic part of the switch a half turn. The second switch centrr metal pin is shorter than the first by a little. Not sure if that is making a difference. I am heading to Napa auto parts and try a new switch.

7212Mopar

The third switch from Napa auto does the same as the first. :angry: looking inside the trans I can see the green plastic cover rotates with the gear lever. The P and N positions have the metal contacts and they line up with the switch in their respective positions. The reverse position has a depressed slot and line up with the switch. It should allow the center pin to extend fully. I tested the switch with a test light and power is made when pin is not depressed and open the circuit when the pin is depressed. It all make sense with the setup but i don't understand why it is not working. The wiring and grounding of the reverse light is good because it stayed on with the first switch after I rotated the plastic part. I think I damaged the first switch doing that as the pin do not depressed freely and that is why light stays on in all forward gears. I also tried putting on two o rings with the metal gasket on the third switch but got cranking and no reverse light.

I am going back at it after I finish my coffee. I will pull the switch and measured the depth of the plastic gear to the trans housing. This should be a fairly simple circuit electrically and not sure why it is not working.

Worst I get one or the other. What would you pick, reverse light or safety engine start interlocking?

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: I would try unplugging it and just use a jumper wire in the plug, that will see if your circuits are okay. You can get it all working, just stay on it.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 28, 2018, 10:17:10 AM
Hmm: I would try unplugging it and just use a jumper wire in the plug, that will see if your circuits are okay. You can get it all working, just stay on it.
Switch, wiring  all tested ok. Played with the linkage but still no go. Got engine cranking and the stubborn reverse light won't come on. I am going to drop the transmission pan to try to see from the inside. I am guessing that the rooster comb may be off just a little  preventing the pin to release and make the circuit.

71383bee

I agree that it sounds like an alignment issue with the NSS.  If i recall correctly the factory manual has a procedure for installing and adjusting.  I can check mine tonight when i get home.

Are the threads into the tranny good and clean?  if they got paint or grime in them maybe its not getting the switch to seat right. 

I had similar issues on my super bee.  the new switches are garbage too unfortunately.  i've been through several. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Chryco Psycho

you may be able to tweak the rooster comb a little through the hole without dropping the pan
could be a problem with the new switches as well as you said the pin is longer on one switch

7212Mopar

Thanks for everyone's inputs. I fixed the problem tonight by trimming the rooster comb insulator at the reverse position to create more depth allowing the pin to fully extend. I think it was just shy a hair. I made a separate post and hope it might help others like me. The long version here with pictures.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/neutral-safety-switch/5460/

RUNCHARGER

Good work! Great news, glad you got it working.
Sheldon

ToxicWolf

7212Mopar

I finally got the engine started today. I prime the carb with some fuel at the vents and filled about 5 gallons of 91 octane into the tank. It started on first crank and the engine ran like crap spitting unburned fuel at the tailpipe. It felt like something is missing but no backfire. I shut her down after about 5 minutes and started scratching my hair. I checked the coil connection and then the sparkplug wires and found one was loose at the distributor. After I started her the second time, the valves at the PS was tapping a little. It quiet down after about two minutes. This time it ran much better and no more smoke at the tailpipe. Temp went up to about 180 F and stay there. 13 in of vacuum and steady and volt meter read about 13.8 volt. After warm up, it idle at around 1050 RPM from the timing light. Seems high and I slow it down to about 900 RPM but the engine does not seems to like it. It has a Comp Cam XR292-HR-10, intake 242 (.549), exhaust 248 (.544) at 0.05 with 1.6 rocker. Timing is way off and I will be working on that and some tuning next weekend. I have to do some reading first since it had been awhile. Overall not too bad and way better than I imagined before turning the key. There were just a few drops of coolant from the water pump alternator bracket bolt, had to fix the fuel leak at the line to the carb and tighten a few joints at the brake line. Fuel gauge was not moving and it has a new sender. May be not enough fuel in the tank?

After some tuning, I will lower the car on it's wheels, tighten the LCA pivot pins and try to set the front wheel alignment before taking her around the block. Then I will try to replace the passenger side window.

Here is a video that I took from today on the second start.

RUNCHARGER

That's looking good. Always nice to get the first start out of the way.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

Just keep picking the bugs off 1 at a time. You will get there.
Love the color.

Moke
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Topcat

Can't wait to see you and your car again.

Let's put some miles on the roads sometime.   :cheers:

7212Mopar

Thanks Mike. Look forward to the drive. :stayinlane:

Before that, I need to tie up a few remaining loose ends and hope there are no more surprises. Then comes the actual road tests to flush out the bugs.