Main Menu

NorCal 73 Challenger

Started by 7212Mopar, November 12, 2017, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

If the engine is still turning over it sounds more like a trans problem but it should still fire up  :thinking:

RUNCHARGER

I was thinking trans problem as well but it sounds like it blew the breather off and it is backfiring. I think I would pull the valve covers and check everything and turn the engine over. After that I would find out what is going on with the trans. How does the engine oil and water look? I hate to say it but maybe something exited the block and cut a trans line? It likely wouldn't turn over though.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

Finally got around to face the issue. I tried starting the engine but no go. It would not crank in park but crank in neutral. Check the engine oil and there is no coolant. After jacking the car up, no oil leak found and no hole on the side of the engine. On the other hand, the transmission casing is split opened at the bell housing and extend to the back. I cannot see how fat it goes but at least to the casing above the transmission pan. I dropped the starter shield and looks like the flexplate and  torque converter is still good. No oil coming out from the crankshaft seal. I hope these are good sign. I am draining the transmission fluid now. It looks clean and no burn smell. Next step will be pull the exhaust and driveshaft and get ready to lower the transmission. Does anyone know where I can pick up a 4 speed housing and flywheel cheap so that I can test my engine to make sure it is good before replacing with a sb 727? I am thinking of picking up a TCI Streetfighter that has a warranty.

Anyone has ideas as to what could had caused this kind of damage? When I installed the trans I made sure the converter is seated all the way. I measured the torque converter bolt flange to the trans case per TCI's instruction and was all good.Torque converter line up perfect with the flexplate and bolted down with ARP bolts no problem. The trans was bolted to the engine and the two index and all bolt holes lined up and everything bolted together. Trans fluid was Dextron III and at mid way of the hatch mark when warm. I also have a trans cooler in font bypassing the radiator. Did I miss something during install that might cause this? The trans was rebiult by the shop that built the trans for my engine builder. He used the same A904 setup drag racing his Duster. The internal of the trans was upgraded with perforamnce parts and suppose to handle the horsepower level I have. I was may be at half pedal if not less, below 3500 RPM and around 70 mph when this happen.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

71-440

Holy Crap!  :rubeyes:
Man I am so sorry to see that after the work and money you put in it. I am sure the more knowledgeable people on her can give you
some advise.
Joe

RUNCHARGER

Crickets! First thing I thought of was the convertor not seated correctly but you checked that. Other than that I think something came apart in the trans, it didn't come apart because of you romping on it. It came apart because it wasn't assembled correctly. You can also leave the torque on the engine and use a bare 727 case to mount the starter and attempt starting the engine. You have to pull this trans anyway obviously, when you do pull the trans. measure your crank shaft end play before doing anything else.
Hopefully the trans guy will warranty the trans. Of course at this point it is all conjecture.
Sheldon

Topcat

Quote from: 71-440 on April 08, 2018, 04:42:58 PM
Holy Crap!  :rubeyes:
Man I am so sorry to see that after the work and money you put in it. I am sure the more knowledgeable people on her can give you
some advise.

Holy Crap is right.   :unbelievable:

Just glad nothing grenade'd up thru the floors on you.

7212Mopar

No kidding Mike. Thinking about putting down a Kevlar vest on top of the trans tunnel now. Looks like Mopar Alley this year is not happening but I should be there.

Brads70

Wow did that ever come apart!  :unbelievable:

peterro

Yikes! I feel for ya. Hoping for the best and the builder will stand behind their work.

Ugh, hate to see that happen .
Could it be that either the engine motor mount or trans mount are loose that caused a twisting motion to cause the break ?

7212Mopar

Shifter linkage, drive shaft, trans cooler lines removed. Front U joint brand new Spicer is busted with one cup disappear. Otherwise drive shaft and yoke is still ok. Rear ends spins smoothly so it should be ok and no leak. Looks like the crack extended to the top of the trans case. I am afraid the front of the trans is being supported off of the converter, flexplate to the engine crank.

I would think any trans, drive shaft misalignment will cause bad vibration which I did not feel any. It should not cause this kind of failure. Car was moving when gas pedal pressure was increased and was not from a stand still full throttle. I wonder if anything locked up internally :thinking:. I will continue next weekend.

RUNCHARGER

You won't know until pulling it apart and even then it might be hard to find the root cause. It could be the Sprag coming apart or a snap ring not being seated for example. I would deliver it to the builder as-is and let him dissect it.
TCI doesn't have the best reputation in the Torqueflite world, maybe talk to someone like Cope if you want a complete transmission.
Sheldon

nsmall

@7212Mopar

I am so sorry to read about your troubles.   :Thud:  Really stinks.

Have you had a chance to look into whats up?  I hope someone will step up and work with you on this.

Dont give up, take a break if you have to.  You got this, hang in there.

7212Mopar

Quote from: nsmall on April 17, 2018, 10:59:57 PM
@7212Mopar

I am so sorry to read about your troubles.   :Thud:  Really stinks.

Have you had a chance to look into whats up?  I hope someone will step up and work with you on this.

Dont give up, take a break if you have to.  You got this, hang in there.

Nsmall, Thanks for the encouragement. Been busy at work and at home (last minute tax filing). Plan is to get back under the car this Saturday to continue disassembly and drop the trans. Thinking of JB weld the case so that I can at least mount the starter and test firing the engine. Best scenario now is hoping engine is ok. I will post what I find. Thinking some more on what might happened, the TCI Streetfighter torque converter has a 3 to 3.5k stall speed and I was right around that in engine RPM. So it probably happened when the converter starting to lock up.

I emailed my engine builder and the only response was that he never seen a trans failed like that. He acted as the middle man only to get my trans rebuilt at my request. Sort of like doing a favor for me. My mistake not to take care of it myself personally, lesson learned. I seriously doubt that I can get anything out of it from the trans guy. I do not know who he is and it is too far away for me anyway. I just pray that the engine is ok and then move on.

I will read some more about TCI. Hard to believe their stuffs are no good for such a big and well known outfit. If TCI is not good I will call A and A Transmission. I know they are serious Mopar trans builder and I bought stuffs from them before.

Here is a picture on the day when car was being towed. I am very impressed with the Hagerty roadside service. Both times I had it towed was flat bed tow truck. I just hope this is the last time I need to use it.

nsmall

Yes let us hope the engine is okay.  I just looked up A and A, whats $1300 at this point?  Its cool that transmissions are affordable IMO vs basically everything else.  You can drop 2k in a dash rebuild, no problem.  Sounds like a good idea to avoid the original transmission builder, been in a similar situation.  Find someone new and move on.

I know next to nothing about whats up with your car so hopefully you can dial it in and safely fire that engine and see where you at.  Good luck and keep us posted.