Main Menu

NorCal 73 Challenger

Started by 7212Mopar, November 12, 2017, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

Finally finished my rough front wheel alignment late on Sunday. I used the Fastrax gauge, wheel turn plates and toe plates I got from Amazon. After a few hours, I managed to get about -0.8 camber, 1/16 toe in. The caster readings were past the scale which is +12. I followed the YouTube video by turn out 15 degrees and set caster gauge to zero. Turn wheel in 15 degrees to read the caster scale. My garage floor is not perfectly flat and has a slight uphill slope. I figure that might be screwing up my readings. I have PST tubular upper control arms but don't think I can get readings like that. Steering wheel is now off center a little. It was centered before I started. I am going to make an appointment for alignment this coming Saturday and let the Pros handle it. I think I might have found an old garage near me in business for 60+ years and there were bunch of classic cars that they serviced. Four and a half stars on Yelp.

So after all that work till Sunday evening, I started the car, let the engine warm up and then back it out the garage for its maiden voyage around the block. Car went around the block at street speed limit of 25 mph. A few squeaks here and there. Engine is a little rough in gear idle at around 750 RPM, no ping and did not stall. Brake light stayed on (more checking and troubleshooting). Mixture reads about 12.6 to 12.8. Might need jetting down a little after things settle down. Overall very pleased. Saturday will be a 3 miles drive to the alignment shop. :banana:
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

RUNCHARGER

Sounds like normal adjustments needed. The wheel must want to return to center fairly bad on the turns.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

If you have it set close to where you want it all you have to do is add length to 1 tie rod by the equal amount removed from the other side to center the wheel , I have often found I liked the settings I created more then the ones a shop set to so you may have it set up better already  :alan2cents:

7212Mopar

Thanks CP. I will give that a try this weekend.  I measured the tie rods with a ruler and was trying  to set it equal length between them while getting to toe in setting. I am just off center just a little. So are the caster readings I have really matter much as long as it is positive? Other posts said get as much caster as possible.

RUNCHARGER

I assemble it with all the tie rods turned in the same amount, After I do caster and camber I keep the steering wheel straight and set the left tie rod so that wheel is pointing straight back (with help from a long piece of iron touching the front and back sidewall of the tire), then I do my toe in. After that I go for a drive and readjust if necessary but it usually isn't necessary.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

Worked on the alignment today. Some progress and got the steering wheel pointing straight. However two sides are not the same and I post a thread in the suspension part of the forum for help.

Saw a 73 and a 67 Camaros roaming down the streets in my neighborhood today and these Chevy guys are having fun. I need to get my classic Mopar out.

7212Mopar

I am sitting in the car on the side of the freeway waiting for a tow truck. I was driving on the freeway right lane going about 70 mph, below 3500 RPM. I gave it a little more gas and all of sudden a loud bang and car is shaking and engine die. Luckily I was in the right lane and got over to the shoulder. Pop the hood and I can see some oil dripping down at the bell housing. I don't even know what it is until car is in the garage. It won't crank over now.

I am very depress after all the work done to it in 3 years.  :crying:

RUNCHARGER

Yikes: Let us know what you find.
Sheldon

Brads70

Quote from: 7212Mopar on April 01, 2018, 04:54:09 PM
I am sitting in the car on the side of the freeway waiting for a tow truck. I was driving on the freeway right lane going about 70 mph, below 3500 RPM. I gave it a little more gas and all of sudden a loud bang and car is shaking and engine die. Luckily I was in the right lane and got over to the shoulder. Pop the hood and I can see some oil dripping down at the bell housing. I don't even know what it is until car is in the garage. It won't crank over now.

I am very depress after all the work done to it in 3 years.  :crying:

Yuck, sorry to hear this... :sorry:  "dislike"

Topcat

Oh... serious bummer!  :o

Hope you get this figured out soon.

7212Mopar

Car arrived home dead. Tow driver was nice enough to tackle a slope driveway and help position the car mostly inside the garage. He then helped me to push the car in all the way. I put the car on wheel dollies afterward to position the car to one side so wife can park.  All i can see is trans oil drpping down. Engine breather is blown out and gone. Engine won't crank over in park. It cranked over in neutral but won't start and backfire through the carb. I don't feel like looking anymore tonight. I will jack it up on Saturday, pull the spark plugs and see. I probably won't like what I will find. This is going to be a major setback. Also promised the wife to finish building the deck this summer thinking car is finished.

Car was moving along nicely. The alignment was good. All i did was gas it a little and it popped, not even half pedal. :madashell: Need to calm down and think through this. 

YellowThumper

Oh sorry to hear that one...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

nsmall

Quote from: nsmall on November 12, 2017, 09:36:27 PM
Just stole this of your cc thread...."Got news today that the engine is done. Builder said it runs strong, easy to start. Video sounds awesome. Dyno numbers came slightly under target at 491 HP and 528 TQ. I have no compliant and quite delighted to see this part done." :stayinlane:

The quote above is from the first page of this thread.  Does the builder guarantee their work?  1/2 throttle should not break anything.

I am trully sorry to hear this as we all know how much time and money we invest and then this happens.   :headbang:  Take a break like you have planned, maybe call the builder.

Sorry

Brads70

What a sickening feeling, feel for ya.  :sorry:   :popcorn:
Tomorrow is a new day.....