Main Menu

NorCal 73 Challenger

Started by 7212Mopar, November 12, 2017, 07:50:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

Got my new 727 trans installed about two weeks ago. It was a balancing act to jack the car and engine up high enough to slide the trans under. Too bad my garage is not big and tall enough for a two posts lift. It took me a few hours to line up the trans at the right position and angle to mate with the engine. The HF trans jack has too much play in it and would tilt over after I made the adjustment. Found out the trans oil pan did not come with a drain so I replaced it with a TCI cast aluminum deep pan. When I opened the trans up, I found a piece of packaging foam inside. So glad that I decided to change the pan. The TCI pan is nice but the hardware like filter extension and filter is a lot less desirable. The extension is made out of some kind of sintered metal whereas other deep pans that I have machined and polished aluminum block. Also, the filter is some kind of synthetic fine mesh screen of two layers. I wonder how well it works. The gasket is a thin paper type so I reused the thick molded gasket that came with the trans. The back up light did not work as suspected and I had to do the same surgery to the rooster comb again to release the NSS pin at the reverse position.

I ordered a new driveshaft and now waiting for delivery. The shop would not build the driveshaft the way I requested pretty much saying I am asking for trouble with the engine application I have. He convinced me so I am going with 1350 U-joints front and back. I will need to contact Cass to order a 1350 pinion yoke, seal, and crush sleeve eliminator for my 489 case. I will be getting a dial torque gauge to check the existing preload first before disassembly. l think it is going to be a challenge to torque the pinion nut to 285 ft-lb laying on my back. Will see how that goes when time comes. So more work to be done and hoping the car can be on the road for testing before raining season starts.

1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

RUNCHARGER

Looking good. It seems to me the kickdown linkage is different 904 to 727 but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone else knows.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

I am running Bouchillon Performance cable system.

nsmall

Very glad to hear you are moving along.  Reach out to Cass soon as I had a friend who recently had to wait for 3 months for a part, but your parts sound common so hopefully you will be fine.

Hopefully you are doing right this time so going  the extra mile will be worth it in the long run. :bradsthumb:

I know how its frustrating when one thing leads to another and another and another. 

7212Mopar

My attempt to change out the pinion yoke failed and I ordered a new 8-3/4 center section from Dr. diff about two weeks ago and it arrived today. The unit was placed in a new 5 gallons bucket and then boxed with a lot of cushions. That thing is heavy and UPs just left it next to my driveway. Plan is to install it this weekend. The housing is already cleaned and prepped. Afterward I will send in my last measurement for the driveshaft and hope to get it in a few weeks. Put the rear brakes and exhaust back on. Tidy up a few things and she is ready to start. Lesson learned is not to do your test drive on April 1, period.

The Dr. Diff piece is based on new 489 casting. My original is also a 489 case. When having my original section (silver) side by side with the new (black), you can see some slight differences. Most notably is the nose where the old has a step but the new does not and is bigger. Next is where the pinion snubber is mounted where the new casting seems beefier. Other than the LSD, the mounting hardware are slightly different as well. I am going to change out bearings on my old diff. All the gears seems to be in great shape and not much wear. I am sure it has many more miles left in it.

nsmall

Keep at it, so close now.   :bradsthumb:

RUNCHARGER

I have nothing to add except, dang that is a good looking car!
Sheldon

Topcat

Been a while. Gotta be close now.   :popcorn:

7212Mopar

Hey Mike. I worked on it whenever I have time but I do admit I am on the slow side. Also checking and second guessing myself on the work along the way. I hate to see it fail on me again. Anyway, I tightened the exhaust pipe clamps and align the tips last night and tonight will do some touch up painting on all the scratches I made. Other than that, the plan is check fluid one more time, get gas on Saturday and prime the carb and fire up the engine. I will let it run with the car still on jack stands to see how things go. If all goes well, I will take it down and go around the block and the neighborhood. Probably won't take it up on the freeway to shakedown until putting some miles on the trans and diff. Fingers crossed,  :andyangel: I will update this weekend.

I am taking next Wednesday off and going to swing by to Jeff's (70Pumpkin) place to see if we can figure out his engine stalling problem. We plan to look for vacuum leak, bad hoses, electrical and the float. 

Cuda Cody

7212Mopar

I tidy up a few things yesterday and poured in five gallons of fuel in the tank and prime the fuel bowls. Turned the key and engine comes to life with just a few crank revolutions. Engine was running very rich and the AF was about 12.8. After engine warmed up I start making adjustment of timing, mixture and idle speed. Initial around 11 to 12 and 39 at around 3000 RPM, no ping. The engine dose not seems to like less than 10 initial. I got AF down to about 14.5 at idle and it will drop to about 12.5 or so as RPM increases. I will play with it some more down the line.

Since the tail pipes are pointing to the inside of the garage (how tow truck pushed it in the garage back in April), I managed to fill the whole house with gas fumes and the smoke detectors kept tripping on. Naturally  I got an earful from the wife. It was pretty bad because I probably ran it for at least 45 minutes on the jack stands. I kind of feel bad about it because the air quality in the Bay Area is already bad due to the fires, probably the least popular guy in the neighborhood now.

The brake warning light stays on and I am going to try to bleed the rear brakes one more time. I will then lower the car and take it around the block to see how it drives.

Video link moved to a newer reply.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

nsmall

@7212Mopar

Your video is not playing.  Maybe its my computer/internet.

Sorry you upset the Mrs., but its time to get this project going so I was delighted to hear your newest post.

I had to change springs and make some changes on the distributor (didnt need the adjustable plate sold by FBO, my distributor is adjustable internally)  in order to get rid of the pinging.  My pinging is 100% gone and my car runs way better.  Chrycho Psycho helped me out big time.  Just tossing in the info in case you need it.  I am still surprised how crucial timing is in order to get a car to run right.

looking forward to seeing a nasty burn out one day from you.

PS running the car up in the air sounds like a good idea as long as its safe as I know you dont want to redo this car again as crossing the finish line on this baby has been a real  :headbang:

Topcat

Quote from: nsmall on November 18, 2018, 07:28:40 PM
@7212Mopar

Your video is not playing.  Maybe its my computer/internet.

Sorry you upset the Mrs., but its time to get this project going so I was delighted to hear your newest post.

I had to change springs and make some changes on the distributor (didnt need the adjustable plate sold by FBO, my distributor is adjustable internally)  in order to get rid of the pinging.  My pinging is 100% gone and my car runs way better.  Chrycho Psycho helped me out big time.  Just tossing in the info in case you need it.  I am still surprised how crucial timing is in order to get a car to run right.

looking forward to seeing a nasty burn out one day from you.

PS running the car up in the air sounds like a good idea as long as its safe as I know you dont want to redo this car again as crossing the finish line on this baby has been a real  :headbang:

Perhaps he didn't click on publish for public to see?   :notsure:

YellowThumper

Yep the video is officially a teaser because i also cannot see it...

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.