Main Menu

Rebel's Fix Thread

Started by rebelyell, June 04, 2017, 09:49:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rebelyell

Going to check the plugs tonight. In the meantime, I'm looking at buying this carb..https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-67214/overview/

rebelyell

Left plug is from the bad cylinder. Right one is from #4.

rebelyell

Gap was all screwed up and I dont know why. I regapped it and put it back. Going to change the oil soon and try to run it again and see what happens.

Chryco Psycho

There you go , improper gap will cause misfire = less heat  :twothumbsup:

rebelyell

All seems to be well on the test drive today. Temp hit 200, then immediately came down to 180 where it stayed. Engine runs better on 8 cylinders than 7. Who would have thought? It's pretty quick. Afraid to drive it hard though, so I'll just cruise in it for the time being.

So I'm going to let it ride for a bit until I can check out black friday deals on car parts that I'm looking for.
Carb OR Fitech
Lokar throttle cable and bracket
Headers with 3.5" collectors. OR find somebody to fix the ones I have.
valve covers
Aeromotive fuel tank
MAD Electrical's rewiring kit
battery relocation kit
front suspension parts

Chryco Psycho

Often a plug gets dropped & then the gap is not checked , likely what happened
I am happy it is now working well for you .  :cooldance:
Holley Sniper is another option , it is hard not to go to EFI these days , the price is getting far more reasonable & it will run better than a carb / any carb  :bigthumb:

rebelyell

Thanks! And you're probably right about the plug. Good chance I overlooked the gap in my haste or frustration in getting the plugs around the exhaust manifolds.

Just going to get the Proform 850 carb for now. I need to upgrade the entire wiring and fuel system before I go EFI.

Anyone have tips on how to get collectors to seal? I smacked the edge of a trailer with the headers and now they won't seal. Tried copper gaskets, but that didn't work very well. Next step is to check the exhaust flange face with a straight edge and hammer into compliance then reattach with annealed aluminum gaskets.

Chryco Psycho

I would try that too flatten the surface as much as possible . use Alum gaskets with Copper silicone you could cut the flange off & use clamps also like these

rebelyell

Update:

Leaky breather looks fixed to me. Drove it a little yesterday and there's no oil coming from that side.

New carb is on. Holley 4160, 750cfm. Drove it to the gas station and back and it needs some tuning. At cruise, it pops like it's misfiring and isn't smooth at all. It starts and idles fine. WOT is fine. Cruising is bad.

Going to buy one of those tailpipe O2 sensor adapters and borrow a wideband from a friend to figure out what's going on. Knew it wouldn't be as easy as bolting it on.

rebelyell

I give up. I'm over this damn thing. Ready to burn it to the ground.

Replaced the spark plugs. Compression check on all cylinders says 110+. Replaced the spark plug wires. Ran them all pretty and nice. Got the car warmed up in the driveway, then set the idle mixture on the carb. Highest vacuum, then back out 1/8th of a turn. Drove it to the gas station last night and it ran better than it ever has before.

Drove it to work this morning and about 5 miles into the drive, it won't idle. It pops and acts like it's on 2 cylinders. I KNOW the plugs are fouled again. Probably several of the electrodes are bent too. Don't know why that keeps happening.

But I quit. I'm over it. Taking the damn thing to the speed shop near savannah and letting them fix it.  :pullinghair:

JpRngr

Quote from: rebelyell on January 17, 2020, 05:41:24 AM
Probably several of the electrodes are bent too. Don't know why that keeps happening.
  :pullinghair:

If you're getting bent electrodes on the plugs, you have something more than just a bad tune. I would look to make sure there's not something(screw, nut, etc.) in the cylinders. Are you sure you're using the right plugs and they're not sticking too far into the cylinder or something? It pretty much takes something physical to bend them.

Corey

rebelyell

I bore scoped all the cylinders this weekend after pulling and checking the plugs. There were no obvious dings or scratches anywhere and no more bent electrodes. Only left to assume that whatever was there and bent the electrodes went out the exhaust sometime. The plugs are BLACK from fuel fouling. I'm beyond my abilities in carb tuning at this point. 

cuda hunter

Don't give up on carb tuning.  You have a great carb to do it with.
Keep asking questions, maybe make a new post just about the specific problem.  Maybe more comments.
Carbs suck but it's all a turn here and a turn there and take this apart and change this and that and back and forth again and again. Eventually it tunes out.  Takes me forever to get a carb tuned.  YOU CAN DO IT !!!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

rebelyell

Thanks @cuda hunter

I'm just going to have to either send it off to someone who has the stuff or spend $200+ on an AFR setup to find where I'm at plus whatever other carb parts I'll need.

What are everyone's thoughts on un-fouling plugs fouled by fuel? Can I wire brush them clean so they'll spark again?

Speaking to the bent electrode, I checked the plugs after getting car back from shop that did work and found a completely closed electrode , I assumed it was dropped and they just put back into the engine without checking.

That went along with the cut short lower radiator hose that made it easier to install for them, but slipped off for me while driving, lucky was around the corner from home , no damage.