Main Menu

What goes on first, valance or bumper?

Started by Mrbill426, July 18, 2022, 09:49:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

Finishing up installing the new exhaust and am ready to install the valance to align the exhaust tip with it... bumper is off too.  Now... what goes on first bumper or valance?  Any step by step instructions... lessons learned tips?

Thanks!
:wrenching:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

@anlauto  that is what I figured but there are two little screws that secure the valance in the center to two brackets that are mounted to the rear cross member; I am not sure I can get those in with the bumper in place.  Same for the bolts that secure the top corners to the rear quarters.  Can do??
My book says to install and "tighten" the bumper guards to the bumper before mounting it but it looks like they should remain loose until the valance is in so you can center them in the slots in the valance.  Thoughts/experiance?

Thanks

Quote from: anlauto on July 18, 2022, 12:04:10 PM
I put the bumpers on first :alan2cents:

anlauto

YES, those four screws are hard to get at, but can be done, easier if they are a Phillips head. I usually tighten the bumper guard in a straight position and it usually works out well  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FE5CUDA

The rear bumper was installed after the rear valance originally, much easier if you have the retainer clips that hold the bolts to the bumper brackets installed.

Mrbill426

Matt13

I just took off my rear valance. Couldn't do it until the bumper came off.