Main Menu

Aluminum Filler for SE rear Applique Panel

Started by kent_goins, August 05, 2018, 10:23:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kent_goins

Just got my rear SE Applique Panel back from the Michigan restoration vendor which I located in Hemmings Motor News. The guy did a good job on the general metal work and Argent color. He did a terrible job on the finish of the silver boundary edge. There are pits, dings scratches all around the polished silver edge. Does anyone know of a way or filler to fill these imperfections and resand and polish? Let me know of a good technique. There is no paint on the silver boundary. It is just polished aluminum, so any repair I make has to blend well.

Thanks
Kent G

RUNCHARGER

It should be hammer and dollied back then sanded and repolished. It can be finicky work. The quick way home on an SE that isn't concourse (and if the ends are in really tough shape) is to trim them off and use repro quarter trim from a normal 70 Challenger overtop of them.
Sheldon

soundcontrol

Mine had a drilled hole in it, I filled it with an aluminum soldering stick, (soldered with a torch), worked well but I still have to sand and polish it, I dont know if it will blend in perfect yet.

It's German product, called al85plus, here's a YT link to a video: https://youtu.be/NTqmwnZcDL0

kent_goins

Thanks for the response...that is good information. My particular case is not so straightforward as a hole to be filled. My case is dings and scratches and divits all along the surface which needs something more like a epoxy filler  or similar. But yes, I like brazing with a aluminum rod if the situation warrants... Thin aluminum is so tricky....it tends to evaporate of it gets too hot with little to no warning.

KG

soundcontrol

Quote from: kent_goins on August 05, 2018, 04:00:09 PM
Thanks for the response...that is good information. My particular case is not so straightforward as a hole to be filled. My case is dings and scratches and divits all along the surface which needs something more like a epoxy filler  or similar. But yes, I like brazing with a aluminum rod if the situation warrants... Thin aluminum is so tricky....it tends to evaporate of it gets too hot with little to no warning.

KG

This material that I used, al85plus, does not require heating to the point where the trim melts, the alu rod melts way before that point, but it merges well anyways, my only concern is that it will match later. Before I tried it on my SE trim I practiced on a piece of alu, and there it matches perfect, and its superstrong, I tried soldering 2 pieces together, and I can not break it afterwards.

kent_goins

Very good thanks and I will check it out :bigthumb:

KG

cordodge

I used Patmia near Roseville and my trim came back amazing, they did a repair on my finish panel and i can't even see where the damage was.

kent_goins

Here are a couple of pics of the divots and dings along the SE Panel...anybody have any ideas...They are small so either a metal filler and silver touch up paint or small torch heat and braze/solder. What do you think?

KG

kent_goins

YellowThumper

Technique on the thin trim is you have to utilize the existing metal. The deeper low spots are tapped out to be at minimum flush. After that any high spots on the parts are sanded to be flat again. Removing high spots. Obviously there is very little thickness to work with. Every area on trim will take a creative buck and hammer setup to correct close for finishing.

Very time consuming.
Good luck.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

anlauto

In my opinion, that trim was not worth restoring and they should have told you that up front. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

soundcontrol

I bought this, and a bunch of files, gonna try to fix my own trim, it can't be rocket science. If I screw it up, I'll get new trim, but I gotta try. Got some scraps to practice on first.

kent_goins

Just talked to the guy on the phone who did the restoration in Michigan and he felt he sent out a substandard product....So looks like I might get another one from him no charge. The work was good but the bottom edge is pitted....so he may make everything better. I will know in 10 days  :banana:

Sometimes it pays to be friendly....

KG

YellowThumper

Quote from: soundcontrol on August 07, 2018, 11:43:39 AM
I bought this, and a bunch of files, gonna try to fix my own trim, it can't be rocket science. If I screw it up, I'll get new trim, but I gotta try. Got some scraps to practice on first.

Use anything and everything at your disposL.
Old files work great for grinding down into forming tools.
Hard wood can also be your friend.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

I think Alan is right: That metal is too thin to work by the look of it. I'm surprised they did all the straightening and paint work on the surfaces beside it.
Sheldon