Main Menu

Convertible vs coupe - floors the same?

Started by miketyler, September 24, 2022, 09:47:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

miketyler

Got the rear floor pan today from AMD. Nice part, pretty heavy and made of .045" thick steel. It seems like a pretty good part. Obvious things are the forward hole was stamped incorrectly and is raised. The other is the metal that's gathered at the rear outboard corner. All told still a very usable part to me. 

Dmod1974

The perimeter should draw down and form pretty well as you run self tappers through it. Make sure the weld nut for the seat belt isn't hitting the inner rocker and preventing it from sitting right. Both sides needed grinding on my car.

miketyler

Yes, wont be a problem. the metal has to go somewhere and results in that. I've seen guys make pie cuts in them, flatten and weld them so they have full contact with no voids.

In other news I got an email form AMD stating the raised hole in the rear floor is correct for the application! I can't believe this! I've seen none on a Mopar that turn up. Was hoping they'd make it right. It's just one more thing on the list I have to fix now. Have you guys seen such obvious goofs?

Jay Bee

If you're replacing the seat belt bracket too, double check the threads. AMD dropped the ball on the ones I got.

anlauto

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 03, 2022, 07:02:54 AM
If you're replacing the seat belt bracket too, double check the threads. AMD dropped the ball on the ones I got.

Funny, I bought seat belt bolts from Classic Industries that had course threads...could have solved your issue, 'cause I had no use for them... :console:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Quote from: miketyler on October 03, 2022, 06:41:31 AM

In other news I got an email form AMD stating the raised hole in the rear floor is correct for the application! I can't believe this! I've seen none on a Mopar that turn up. Was hoping they'd make it right. It's just one more thing on the list I have to fix now. Have you guys seen such obvious goofs?

Funny since those rubber plug holes are meant to be a drain, with the raised section around the hole, it ain't goin drain very well  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

miketyler

You'd think they'd want to make their product better. Can't believe this response from them;

"Thank you for reaching out to us about your recent purchase.
The hole flanged up is correct, we get them from them manufacture like that.

You might need to adjust to fit your application, but all the ones we have on the shelve are going to be the same."

So they're right and we're all wrong. Will have to consider other suppliers in the future

Jay Bee

Send them a picture of your original floor and ask them to explain why they came from the factory opposite to theirs.

anlauto

Maybe you're the first to notice it ?  :dunno: I do think they should do some research though based on your findings  :bigthumb:

moparroy

I believe generally repro metal is considered YO class 3 which means adjustment required.

Jay Bee

Quote from: anlauto on October 03, 2022, 01:41:38 PM
Maybe you're the first to notice it ?
Yea Alan, I didn't notice it when the shop replaced both my rear floor pans.

mk

Quote from: miketyler on October 03, 2022, 12:01:28 PM
You'd think they'd want to make their product better. Can't believe this response from them;

"Thank you for reaching out to us about your recent purchase.
The hole flanged up is correct, we get them from them manufacture like that.

You might need to adjust to fit your application, but all the ones we have on the shelve are going to be the same."

So they're right and we're all wrong. Will have to consider other suppliers in the future

I believe they were changed to that hole flanged up in later 71 or 72 and up.

anlauto

Quote from: mk on October 04, 2022, 04:07:32 AM

WOW, I just checked pictures of a 1973 Cuda I own, and it does appear that the hole is raised up instead of down  :dunno:

mk

Quote from: anlauto on October 04, 2022, 08:03:12 AM
Quote from: mk on October 04, 2022, 04:07:32 AM

WOW, I just checked pictures of a 1973 Cuda I own, and it does appear that the hole is raised up instead of down  :dunno:
And as I mentioned a few days ago if you ever get to check the strength of the original metal by trying to bend a piece it will surprise you.

71vert340

I had to check out what @mk said about the 71 on up floorboards had that hole flange up. Sure enough, both of my 71 Challengers have the hole flange just like the replacement panels do. Here's a photo taken from underneath my hardtop 71 Challenger showing the hole flange with the plug in it. This is taken from underneath the car on the driver's side.
Terry W.