Main Menu

Decklid Torsion Bar w/AAR Spoiler

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, August 08, 2017, 04:33:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

My car did not come with a spoiler and therefore had a single torsion bar. I have since added an AAR spoiler and the torsion bar was causing a pretty severe twist in the decklid as it was closing. Since I had bigger fish to fry at the moment, I removed the torsion bar completely and went about building the rest of the car.

My questions are:

1) Will adding another torsion bar relieve the twist? I assume it would load the other hinge more evenly.
2) Are there options for gas struts, or would I need to make that up myself? [examples?]
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

1 Wild R/T

1) dual torsion bars cure it..
2) John's Cuda Shop made some but last I saw was nearly out & wasn't gonna make any more..

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=104090.0

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  get 2 bars and it should fix it.

1 Wild R/T

Oh, and while searching I saw my post in one of the old threads... And it's still accurate...

"So, you want to eliminate a system thats compact, trouble free, adjustable & virtually never wears out & replace it with gas charged struts that are known to fail frequently, are not adjustable & depending on your design may eat trunk space....   :2thumbs:"

Though in the end I will admit John's stuff looks pretty clean...

GoodysGotaCuda

Thanks all. Some follow-up questions:

Are the torsion bars all the same?
Do I need to make any trunk metal modifications to go from single to dual bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Burdar

I believe you only have one of these adjustable brackets on your car.  The dual torsion bar system uses this adjustable bracket on both sides.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Burdar on August 08, 2017, 10:38:23 AM
I believe you only have one of these adjustable brackets on your car.  The dual torsion bar system uses this adjustable bracket on both sides.

I didn't think they would rework the stamping dies to eliminate the second bar.. If thats the case I'd be calling John for sure...

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 08, 2017, 11:13:27 AM
Quote from: Burdar on August 08, 2017, 10:38:23 AM

I didn't think they would rework the stamping dies to eliminate the second bar.. If thats the case I'd be calling John for sure...

It's likely just some later punching actions in the later dies [usually 5 or 6 dies] that they will not hit, but it does add a bit of variation into the assembly line.

Did later ebodies have spoiler options at all? Perhaps 72+ only had one side cut, or the like?

If John isn't selling them anymore, I'm sure I can engineer a design of my own. I'll ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Burdar

Spoilers were only available in 70 and 71. 

So, when did they go to one spring and when did they go back to two?  I thought they went to one spring in 71 but I've seen some 71's with two.  I thought they went back to two springs later on because one didn't work that well.  I've seen some 72's with one and others with two.  What's the deal?

Is it just a Barracuda thing or is it Challenger too?

GoodysGotaCuda

I can confirm that my passenger's side does NOT have any provisions for another torsion bar. John sent me some details on his gas strut kit, so I'll likely put one together.
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

My 73 Challenger did not come with a spoiler and has two trunk torsion bars.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill