Main Menu

Firewall replacement

Started by truckinman466, January 14, 2018, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

truckinman466

Well, I pulled my heater box and insulation from my firewall. Did Not get good news. The top half of the firewall looks like Swiss cheese. I've never tackled something this major. Thought about getting a complete firewall and only using the top half. Is this wise or should I bite the bullet and do it all? Any advice or helpful hints would be appreciated.

Spikedog08

If the parts are available after market . . I would not hesitate to buy new and replace Swiss cheese!  Not something I would be happy about tackling but  . . . Needs to be done . . . Need to do it!   :lookatthat:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

RUNCHARGER

Sandblast what you can. After blasting you will probably want to do the complete piece but at least you will know for sure.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Now is the time to do it.  :yes:  See if you can keep the body number in place if the metal is good around it. 

truckinman466

Where is that body number you're talking about?

anlauto

Strip and sandblast the whole car first :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71GranCoupe

Quote from: truckinman466 on January 14, 2018, 04:50:57 PM
Where is that body number you're talking about?

It is stamped on the upper cowl that attaches to the firewall. The number is on the left side by the air intake in the left side of the cowl. :drinkingbud:

truckinman466

So, will I have to make a jig or something to do the full firewall?

Cuda Cody

Do everything you can to keep the body numbers.  They are super important to the car.  The link above will help you with knowing where to look and what the numbers mean.  These photos will give you an idea of what you are looking for.

Rich G.

I changed both pieces on my Cuda. A lot of work but it really wasn't that hard. The AMD parts fit nice. I cut around everywhere it was spot welded and then ground the spot weld off so I wouldn't damage the panels or brackets the cowl or floor are welded to.

truckinman466

Did you have to brace the body or front frame?

truckinman466

Ok thanks Cody. I'm going to try to start tackling it this weekend.

Roadman

Quote from: truckinman466 on January 15, 2018, 12:36:37 PM
So, will I have to make a jig or something to do the full firewall?

Making up a jig is a very good idea, keep everything square.  MY 2 Cents 

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I would weld in some braces before cutting anything.
Sheldon