Main Menu

Painting the underside

Started by nsmall, January 20, 2017, 07:17:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

farmboy70

As for the question on what under coating. That would depend on how you want to go.
Bed coating would work well, but not to auto part store type. That is just glorified rocker guard.

Resto rick sells a close to correct coating.

You can also try Rustfree rubberized coating ,sold in gallons and applied with a rocker shutz gun.

I am going to test a mixture of Rustfree rubberized along with a texture additive to create a factory look very soon for a more economical coating.

Pictured is the Resto rick product.
Dave

Cuda Cody

There's a couple options for spraying undercoating and or sound deadened.  A really nice factory correct look can be achieved by using the stuff Rick sells and applied with a Shutz gun.  There's also some newer 2 part systems that cost more, but look correct and hold up like armor.  But here's what a lot of people are using:

http://www.restorick.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Undercoat

A simple, fast and cost effective alternative is to use the 3M rattle can Undercoating.  Best to put on several thin layers of it instead of one thick layer.  This is the option you will most likely want to use if cost is a concern but you still want good protection.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-Automotive/Aftermarket/Products/~/3M-Professional-Grade-Rubberized-Undercoating-03584-16-oz?N=3294061918&rt=d

Quote from: nsmall on January 20, 2017, 09:55:27 PM
As for the underside of the fenders, any suggestions for what type of coating to use?  Prefer something easy and cheap to apply. 

As for the wheel well, I see some body color on Cuda Cody's pics (frame rail), yet some black on the panels on the inside of the front fenders.  I have those panels too, mine have undercoating on them that I am assuming can come off? What would I spray on the inside of the wheel wells?  Again something easy and cheap would be preferred :thankyou:.

THANKS

headejm

@farmboy70  Your photos are awesome. Thanks for posting them! I'm mostly interested in your undercoating process since my car came with undercoating and I'm going to restore it that way. What did you use to mask the fender wells around spindle area? Are there Chrysler specs or drawings showing the masked areas for undercoating?  :thankyou:

Cuda Cody

Easy to steel them.  Here's how you do it.  There's a link under the photo that show's the file name.  Click on it and it should start to download to your computer.  Or click the photo so it enlarges and then right hand mouse click and use the "Save as" link.  Or are you talking about the little logo in the bottom corner? 

Quote from: anlauto on January 22, 2017, 07:54:50 AM
Problem I have with this site is that I can't "steal" the pictures once posted here.....I know that's a good thing, but it sucks when I see something I like to save or share somewhere else.

Cuda Cody

@farmboy70  is good and fast!  He's right on with his suggestions.   :clapping:

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 22, 2017, 09:22:27 AM
Easy to steel them.  Here's how you do it.  There's a link under the photo that show's the file name.  Click on it and it should start to download to your computer.  Or click the photo so it enlarges and then right hand mouse click and use the "Save as" link.  Or are you talking about the little logo in the bottom corner? 

Quote from: anlauto on January 22, 2017, 07:54:50 AM
Problem I have with this site is that I can't "steal" the pictures once posted here.....I know that's a good thing, but it sucks when I see something I like to save or share somewhere else.

Hey that worked....you young guys are so tech savy...... :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

farmboy70

Quote from: headejm on January 22, 2017, 09:20:21 AM
@farmboy70  Your photos are awesome. Thanks for posting them! I'm mostly interested in your undercoating process since my car came with undercoating and I'm going to restore it that way. What did you use to mask the fender wells around spindle area? Are there Chrysler specs or drawings showing the masked areas for undercoating?  :thankyou:

What I do is mask the tower area, but I don't spray to the line. The factory didn't leave much in the way of mask lines.
Since my equipment is not a patterned as the factory I don't want the overspray to get on the wrong areas..

While I like the Resto rick product, I believe I can come up with a more cost effective alternative. Or maybe not lol.
Dave

farmboy70

Many years ago I used spray equipment from a rust proofing shop. It sprays coatings like a large spray gun.
As rust proofing company's went out , you would think that equipment would be available.
I have been looking for years with no luck.
It would be perfect for applying this type of product.
That type of equipment is most likely what was used at the factory.
Dave

headejm

Quote from: farmboy70 on January 22, 2017, 09:52:24 AM
Quote from: headejm on January 22, 2017, 09:20:21 AM

What I do is mask the tower area, but I don't spray to the line. The factory didn't leave much in the way of mask lines.
Since my equipment is not a patterned as the factory I don't want the overspray to get on the wrong areas..

While I like the Resto rick product, I believe I can come up with a more cost effective alternative. Or maybe not lol.
Dave

:popcorn: Please share your formula when you are satisfied with it.  :thankyou:

farmboy70

Will do :twothumbsup:
I am thinking of Rustfree rubberized under coat with DX 1999 Texture additive.
How much additive is the key I think.
Dave

farmboy70

Something I should add. The picture of the wheel house is technically incorrect as the car was assembled at the time of undercoating at the factory.

In that shot it was done this way so the customer could finish applying it when he is done assembling. This just gives him a headstart.
Dave

Cuda Cody

These are a photos of the car ECS did.  These photos have been posted many times, but might be good to share them again.

soundcontrol

I'm at the stage of painting the underside in a month or two maybe, I want it body color, I hate undercoating, will use a bedliner type in the rear wheelhouses though. Underside is gonna be black, as the car will be, but I want a durable paint. I have no idea what to use, 2K epoxy black, satin or shiny? One guy I'm talking to is gonna put 4-5 layers of clear on top off reguar black paint, seems like overkill to me, mine will be a driver, not a show car. The guy who painted my 2k epoxy primer says he has a good industrial satin black 2k paint. What are you guys using?

Cuda Cody

You don't want to leave Epoxy unprotected.  It does not hold up long term to the UV light as well as paint.  Use good quality paints and put down a two coats of 2 part Epoxy and use a 2 part single stage paint over that.  2 to 3 coats of the single stage will be fine.  More coats = more orange peel when it dries.  I'm a big fan of using a crap load if clear on cars, but it needs to be done right and then cut and buffed.  Doing a base coat / clear coat on the bottom is going to cost a lot more  :bigmoney: to do.  But I'll tell you, I base / clear my cars inside and out.  Top to bottom & under and it's a probably not worth it.  Save your money and use a good single stage (base and clear) on the bottom.

Quote from: soundcontrol on January 22, 2017, 01:38:39 PM
I'm at the stage of painting the underside in a month or two maybe, I want it body color, I hate undercoating, will use a bedliner type in the rear wheelhouses though. Underside is gonna be black, as the car will be, but I want a durable paint. I have no idea what to use, 2K epoxy black, satin or shiny? One guy I'm talking to is gonna put 4-5 layers of clear on top off reguar black paint, seems like overkill to me, mine will be a driver, not a show car. The guy who painted my 2k epoxy primer says he has a good industrial satin black 2k paint. What are you guys using?

Topcat

Spent alot of time prepping my underside.   :wrenching:

If you're using US cartool connectors, put either bedliner or anti scuff tape on the underside of them.

They are more prone to getting paint chips or scratches.
Makes it easier later to jack up the car without anxiety of paint damage.

As far as black paint goes, been there done that...

Black is hell to keep clean.