Main Menu

Passenger-side Replacement Rivet Installation

Started by StanP, January 12, 2020, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

StanP

Purchased replacement rivets along with a tool to install the passenger-side mirror in my 1973 Plymouth Barracuda. I put the replacement rivet in the existing rivet hole in the passenger door and placed the driver bolt into the rivet and turned the bolt with the Allen key. Unfortunately, I ran out of thread before the rivet would 'seat' in the hole. Any suggestions on what I am doing incorrectly? Thanks in advance. Attached is the rivets along with the 'tool' that was purchased.

Cuda Cody

They are called nutserts and they are installed with a special tool. Once installed they work great. Might need to borrow a tool from a friend to get them installed so you don't have to buy one.

JS29

:iagree:   Harbor fright sells them pretty cheap.  :alan2cents: 

Jay Bee

Maybe I'm missing something here but if you ran out of threads before it tightened then wouldn't a longer Allen head bolt solve the problem.

Burdar

I just install those will a long bolt(threaded all the way up to the head) a few washers, a nut that fits the bolt and an over sized nut as a spacer.  You should be able to get a longer bolt and finish the install.  I've found that grade 8 bolts are too brittle and the threads can break off when trying to install the nutsert. 

Cuda Cody

JS29

Daveh

I would purchase the tool.  They work great and I find myself using them more because they work so well.  Not just on the Challenger.

StanP

Thanks for all the suggestions along with the video. I will try it this coming weekend and provide an update on the result of the installation.

GrandpaKevin

dodj

Rivnut sounds a lot better than 'nut'sert........just sayin'  ::)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

B5fourspeed

I put  a little epoxy on them to give them some extra strength

StanP

Thanks for providing the link that demonstrates the Harbor Freight tool. Much appreciated.

Daveh

Also try to get the nuts with the knurls on them they bite a lot better. Good luck.

StanP

Harbor Freight tool worked like a charm...  Literally 10 minutes to choose the right extension and attach the mirror. Well worth the investment.