Main Menu

Replacement FENDER TAGS - - UPDATE

Started by anlauto, November 19, 2021, 12:38:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

On a more serious note....I just had these tags made for the AAR Cuda I'm restoring...I think they look great  :banana:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

They look pretty good. 
I'm curious to know just how close they are to the original tags. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

Quote from: cuda hunter on December 14, 2021, 06:56:02 PM
They look pretty good. 
I'm curious to know just how close they are to the original tags.

Feel free to compare them
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

cuda hunter

That does look good.  Every letter lines up with original locations! 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

They only difference I can spot is the bottom line of numbers is not as close to the rib along the bottom as it is on the original  :dunno:

cuda hunter

I see that now.  The margins on the top and the sides look to be correct. 
What is causing that?  spacing between the lines?  Is the size of the tag the exact size as the original?

ragtopdodge

331...the "1" seems slightly further apart than the preceding "3".

Other than that, looks good!

cuda hunter

MoparLeo

The "rib" on the top and bottom appear to be narrower than the original. The numbers are closer to the rib than original. But really, a 1000 times better than it was before. So you could tell it from an original but maybe that was the makers intention to avoid fakes being passed for originals./font]
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

mccannix

Must be the way I'm looking at the picture but looks like the last number of the vin is 3 on the old tag...
Are they made of steel or aluminum....
They look good

anlauto

Quote from: mccannix on December 15, 2021, 03:22:11 PM
Must be the way I'm looking at the picture but looks like the last number of the vin is 3 on the old tag...
Are they made of steel or aluminum....
They look good

How's this view Terry....you made my heart stop for a second...metal

MoparCarGuy

A little compilation of what was wrong with the AAR repro tag and an original tag with a unique factory error in the fifth row, first code placement.
On this tag, the Y07 code is one character to the left (closer to the left screw hole) instead of being lined up with the third character of the first code in the fourth row. I looked through all of my saved AAR and T/A fender tag pictures and only found one original tag with this error. Your tag makes it two. BS23J0B287513 also has this factory error and is also a March 1970 SPD. Could be a tag stamping machine setup mistake which makes it very, uncommon.

Also, the last picture is to assist you in the future.  :ohyeah:

anlauto

I just like it because it doesn't have a big rust hole in it....and the fact that I found another company here in Canada that makes tags so I don't have to depend on AG Backeast  :twothumbsup:

If someone points out that the "1" is 1mil out of place at a car show...then the owner can whip out the original tags  :whiteflag: :haha:

cuda hunter

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on December 15, 2021, 06:13:12 PM
A little compilation of what was wrong with the AAR repro tag and an original tag with a unique factory error in the fifth row, first code placement.
On this tag, the Y07 code is one character to the left (closer to the left screw hole) instead of being lined up with the third character of the first code in the fourth row. I looked through all of my saved AAR and T/A fender tag pictures and only found one original tag with this error. Your tag makes it two. BS23J0B287513 also has this factory error and is also a March 1970 SPD. Could be a tag stamping machine setup mistake which makes it very, uncommon.

Thanks for the information.  So rarely do I ever see actual comparison's and mistake comparison's at that! 
Really appreciate the knowledge!  Thanks again!

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on December 15, 2021, 06:13:12 PM

Another tag, also an AAR within this timeframe for SPD (324-401), with the fifth line, first code starting too early on the second character of the fourth row. This makes three AAR tags with this stamping error.
Note the N85 code's N is almost absent when punched into the left screw hole area.

Does anyone know how the stamping machine works? Is it like a typewriter and a human is punching in the option codes using a space bar between codes? That would explain the error of not hitting two spaces (spacebar) before typing the code.