Main Menu

Trunk seal placement

Started by Mrbill426, May 07, 2020, 07:32:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

Quite possibly I just have not had enough coffee yet but is this link supposed to go to a image of page 99 of that manual?   It's not showing up for me.

Quote from: ec_co on May 08, 2020, 08:49:28 AM
that page has more details on it (a few detailed pics, shows where it lies and the joint), I just got my copy the other day and showed my wife this page as a good example of why this book was worth buying. the important part I'm reading into this, is that at assembly they say install under compression which leads me to think they just closed the trunk lid to compress it and keep it in place for a watertight joint (easiest method I can't think of anything else other than sticking a plate on top as it continues down the line. don't see them using clips or other cumbersome methods. time is $$) https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/70-71-assembly-manual/15800/   page 99

Mrbill426

To be sure... this is what I bought per the seal MFG's instructions.

Quote from: anlauto on May 08, 2020, 09:43:48 AM
Yup....I like the 3M stuff better then the current Contact Cement available.

anlauto

Yea that looks good...different packaging from what I have, but maybe it's an American thing....The stuff I have comes in both black and yellow....I use yellow on the trunk weather-strip  :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

Not to beat a dead horse but I wonder why the "Los Angeles only" comment in line #1 of the instruction?

Quote from: Floyd on May 08, 2020, 07:56:38 AM
From engineering drawing

anlauto

I noticed that too  :thinking:  too many people sniffing the good glue in LA so they had to switch ??? 8)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Scooter

Quote from: anlauto on May 08, 2020, 10:01:50 AM
I noticed that too  :thinking:  too many people sniffing the good glue in LA so they had to switch ??? 8)

I would have thought Sacramento based on what our local gubberment is up to of late...  ;)

larry4406

A member here with a torred 71 cuda recently posted details on putting this seal in place.  Extensive use of cloths pins.  I think even a Youtube video of it.  Sorry no link and I can't recall his user name.

torredcuda

Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Floyd

Awesome.  Thanks for posting!!!

anlauto

Pretty good video... :bigthumb:

I think their peel and stick would be cool, but will it go around corners ? I guess it should if the adhesive is flexible enough.. :thinking:

RUNCHARGER

I always use weatherstrip adhesive and do them in one shot. Sometimes I'll place the end on a ladder when starting out.
Sheldon

Mrbill426

Thanks for the video link  :bigthumb:  Interesting the second application before pressing the strip down.; the guy makes it look so simple too.  I played with the adhesive a bit last night and still need to master getting it to spread out w/o having it stringing everywhere but where I want it.  Tight quarters in that channel around the trunk; too tight to use a popsicle stick as a spreader anyway.

Quote from: torredcuda on May 09, 2020, 05:34:51 AM
Correct way to glue - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDBojIza-TA

anlauto

Plenty of ways to skin a cat ! :twothumbsup:

Mrbill426

I have the seal installed and if I do say so myself is looks pretty good for a amateur.  The problem I am having now is the lid contacts the seal (front (window) edge while it is a still a few inches from being closed.  Is this normal; are there some replacement seals that are maybe too thick?  I have had this one new in the bag for a few years but it is fresh and pliable.  It is a Soft Seal by Metro; written in purple letters.  Not much adjustment at all jut forward and backward.  Any thoughts?

Also only the right side hinged is spring loaded with the adjustment slots on the left hinge support; there are no slots on the right hinge support for a left spring.  Is this right for a '72?  A friend has a '70 and both sides are sprung on his lid.  I also noticed that his '70 deck filler panel is almost on a flat plain side to side up front while mine (72) has a slight arch to it side to side.  Looking at my deck lid thought it appears to be arched unless it's a illusion. 

:wrenching:

Mrbill426

... in the meantime since I don't have a trunk latch striker yet (on order) I have clamped the lid shut with woodwork clamps.  Maybe the seal will mush down enough  :dunno:
Otherwise I am kind of stumped. :notsure: