Main Menu

What Wax or Polish are you using on your car?

Started by Cuda Cody, May 24, 2017, 11:02:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

I use this for wiping down the car when it sits in the shop at home. But where is really shines is at the car show. Extremely easy to use. I use it in my glass, paint and wheels and tires. Yes tires. It gives the tires just a nice clean black no gloss look. Works fine on the flat black billboards as long as they are not in direct sun. I take this and some micro fiber towels to the show and that's it. No bag of different bottles for glass and etc. It's fast and easy. Anybody doing the car show scene knows how hot and miserable it can be cleaning your car at the show. All sweaty and blown out before the show even starts. Is it the extreme swirl mark remover. No and it's not designed to be. It's a quick detailer. I worked with the guy who sells this. He would give me some and I would use it on different things and tell him what was good and bad. He has a chemist and would keep tweaking it until he ended up with this final product. He is a big supplier for car dealerships and detail shops.

B5Cuda440-6

I use Mothers "California Gold" Carnauba Wax in the old-fashioned can on my Cuda. It adds a deep shine and makes the metallic pop a little on my B5 paint. Other than that, I use Griot's Fast Shine pretty much constantly. It's really good at removing dust and road grime without leaving streaks.

I've heard a lot of good things about Chemical Guys. Never used them before.

One of the more important things that have not been discussed here are what type of microfiber towels everyone uses to remove the wax or detail spray. Using the wrong type of towel/cloth can wreak more havoc with leaving streaks or creating scratches when compared to the type of wax used. Griot's microfiber towels are the best. They are so soft, they won't scratch a stripper...I MEAN a fender when you use it.

Bills Auto Works

Quote from: 76orangewagon on June 05, 2017, 03:45:39 PM
I just searched Summit Racing and they carry both Chemical Guys and Adams products...so Ill have to give them a try. It's nice living only 3 miles from the Summit Racing but also costly  :takemymoney:

I know how you feel, I grew up in Brook Park (Cleveland suburb) a 45 minute drive. They normally get 5-10 grand a year from me & have since high school in the late 70's. We used to cut school & drive down there to get parts. Back then they were in a small store front on Gilcrest road! :)

I moved about 50 miles west, so it is easier to have them ship stuff now. The next time I place an order I will be trying the Adams products!

Bill
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!

Shane Kelley

The Griot's fluffy micro fiber towels are the bomb! I use them on the paint and glass. But use the generic bundle ones from Sam's club on everything else. Griot's has some nice products. :banana:

Cudajason

I have had good results with the Autoglym line of products.

I used their paint renovator on my wife's truck a few years ago.  The SXT decal on the bed was looking pretty rough, so I stripped it off. Of course you could see the outline of it in the 5 year old paint. I hit the whole truck it with the paint renovator and you would never know that there was ever a decal on there.  Still looks that way now.

Anyone else use them?

They are supposedly designed to work best by manual application and not machines.

That being said, my daily driver Charger was a former rental car, and has the tell tale scratches and swirl marks.  My goal this summer is to give it a proper detail, starting with the clay bar and through to a good coat of wax.  I am hopeful that I can get most of the scratches and swirl marks out of it.

If not, I will be looking at trying something new!!!

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Bills Auto Works

I have not seen any recommendations for sealing aluminum. I love Flitz with a mothers polishing ball for making the aluminum shine, but do not know what to use to seal it afterwards. I am talking about something that is used out in the elements (my aluminum Featherlite trailer) not trim on a show car for this particular question!

Thanks Bill
YOUR QUALITY MOPAR TRANSPORTER SINCE 1983!

Voodoo Child

70 Challenger Lover

@Cuda Cody you should consider tagging this thread. I just found it and it has a ton of great information on car care. I just placed my order for several products based on these recommendations.

Cuda Cody

:yes:  @70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on June 17, 2019, 09:04:30 PM
@Cuda Cody you should consider tagging this thread. I just found it and it has a ton of great information on car care. I just placed my order for several products based on these recommendations.

70 Challenger Lover

I just received a whole bunch of Adams products along with a pack of Griots microfiber cloths. Never tried these products before but I am very happy with the results!

I started by using a clay bar to remove impurities but the previous owner must have done this recently because it glided across the paint and I wasn't able to get any more impurities out. The Adams butter wax was amazing. Went on effortlessly and wiped off even easier. Adams states on the bottle that the product is intended for those who get therapy from waxing their car. When I read it I thought the comment was absurd since I could never imagine waxing a car as enjoyable in any way. Well after using the wax, I can definitely see what they mean. It was the easiest wax I have ever used and the result was truly impressive. I'm looking forward to trying out the other products soon.

918Muscle

I've been using chemical guys waterless wash and Turtle was ice seal and shine. Very slick surface and high gloss. Also I have found that it lasts for a decent time.

Shane Kelley

I have been using this stuff lately. It's some really good off the shelf wax. Easy to use and really brings out the depth in he paint.

72 Challenger

Before I ask any questions let me point out that I am a Stripper Scent junkie as well. My daily car get's all the smelly jobs: Traveling to and from the gym, sports, bringing the dog to the park/beach/cottage. Nothing has ever worked as well at getting those scents out of a car as quickly and as thoroughly as Stripper Scent. I also bought the bubble gum one, it works just as well but the smell is a bit more childish. Whatever, swear by the stuff. BUT I will never use it in an old car. It ruins that old car smell. in my opinion, that smell is part of the experience of classic cars.

Now for the question: I have a white vinyl top. It is pristine white at the moment and I want it to stay that way. When I look at people who have white tops at car shows, over time, they have discoloured towards the cream side. I want to avoid that. What are people using to keep their white vinyl tops pure white?
Someday I will have a J0b.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Shane Kelley on June 27, 2017, 06:01:29 AM
I use this for wiping down the car when it sits in the shop at home. But where is really shines is at the car show. Extremely easy to use. I use it in my glass, paint and wheels and tires. Yes tires. It gives the tires just a nice clean black no gloss look. Works fine on the flat black billboards as long as they are not in direct sun. I take this and some micro fiber towels to the show and that's it. No bag of different bottles for glass and etc. It's fast and easy. Anybody doing the car show scene knows how hot and miserable it can be cleaning your car at the show. All sweaty and blown out before the show even starts. Is it the extreme swirl mark remover. No and it's not designed to be. It's a quick detailer. I worked with the guy who sells this. He would give me some and I would use it on different things and tell him what was good and bad. He has a chemist and would keep tweaking it until he ended up with this final product. He is a big supplier for car dealerships and detail shops.

I just received a bottle of this stuff based on your recommendation.  Is it good one all wheels?

Shane Kelley