Main Menu

What Wax or Polish are you using on your car?

Started by Cuda Cody, May 24, 2017, 11:02:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

73TopBanana

CudaCody, can you be more specific? Cannot seem to get knowledgeable answers when visiting the local auto store.
the sales people are all under 30 and if its not a honda, toyota,etc. they dont know. lol
Anyway, looking for something for the engine that will not harm the engine bay paint.

Cuda Cody

@73TopBanana  the first question would be what is the engine block painted with?  Different paints hold up differently to different products.  Did you paint your engine yourself or do you know what it was painted with?  What is your engine bay painted with it too?  Base / clear coat, single stage, lacquer, rattle can?  Do you have any photos you might be able to share of what you are working with?

73TopBanana

Purchased the vehicle and was already painted with lacquer, engine block and engine bay are top banana color.

Cuda Cody

Modern paints are a lot better for durability compared to lacquer, but as long as you polish lacquer with a quality polish it will look good and hold up for a long time.  So if you want your engine bay to shine, you'll need to get in there and hand buff it.   :alan2cents:  They make polish specifically for lacquer.  Lacquer is a thermoplastic so it never really gets hard or fully cures like the 2 part modern paints.

Plumcrazzy

I considered having my new Hellcat Ceramic coated but changed my mind. Went on a web search for products to shine/protect/etc. Found this: The Last Coat. Ordered their "Black Ice". Followed the cleaning/prep instructions and applied two (2) coats (with an hour between coats). I am 70 and have been waxing cars for what seems like forever and have used a ton of different products but nothing I have ever used has impressed me as much as this product. The finish actually looks like "glass" and has a projected longevity of 14 to 18 months. Check out the company, they have a full line of car care products.

Cudakiller70

So no pics....... :needphotos:  hmmm do you really have this car?  :pokeeye:

mopartaz

A friend turned me on to this stuff
www.royalbluewax.com
been using it on everything with good results

Brads70

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on February 08, 2020, 05:47:47 PM
So no pics....... :needphotos:  hmmm do you really have this car?  :pokeeye:

:Stirring: :iagree:  Lets see some pictures of this beast please!  :cooldance:

cudamadd

When I wash my car I never use a garden hose because water and dirt make rust , so I use water in a plastic spray bottle and  do a panel at. A time  have tried different polishers at times at the moment I am going with the English brand Auto Glym  I never use any thing with silicon in it I also polish one panel at a time and do it twice a year it takes my for ever

chaps70rt

Has anyone tried any of the ceramic coating products out there??

I just ordered a kit by AvalonKing called Armour Shield IX.    It is a three part process that is supposed to last for years.

Will post my results when completed.
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

Racer57

dodj

Quote from: cudamadd on May 23, 2020, 12:28:02 AM
When I wash my car I never use a garden hose because water and dirt make rust
Water and dirt makes mud, not rust.  :dunno:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70 Top Banana

I have not used a paste wax or any traditional wax in years. Once I get the paint corrected or painted if needed, I have used Mother's Detailer with a very good microfiber towel. I go through a lot of microfiber towels. It goes on quick and comes off quick and looks great. If the paint has contaminates in it( you can tell by rubbing your hand over the paint, I use a spray bottle of water and clay bar the car, them use the detailer. I have a car that had an expensive paint job almost 20 years ago and I have never used anything else and the paint looks terrific today. I also had a friend give me a new bottle of Mother's Leather conditioner and it works well and smell like new leather.
I do plan on trying some Chemical guys product as I am running low and need to reload. So I will do a comparison.

torredcuda

Wax? I think I`ve waxed mine maybe twice in the last ten years, usually a quick wash and maybe some detailer spray if I`m bored at a show or between rounds at the drags.  :-[
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

dhh

On my daily driver VW I use Auto Magic Banana Magic. It's quite good and has a nice smell.  :banana: