Main Menu

Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals, Nov 19th and 20th

Started by TheAutoArchaeologist, September 27, 2022, 01:25:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I wish I was going, if not to check out your cars, I would love to catch up with you Wade...I haven't been there since the Hemi convertible display.... :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RzeroB

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on October 31, 2022, 10:06:19 AM
Planning to go again this year. Any chance of an E-Bodies.org meet-up? Perhaps stick-on name tags with the club logo?

Kevin,

If you have any EBO "swag" (shirt, hat, etc.) to wear it helps people find you. I've had people tapping me on the shoulder saying "I see you're wearing an EBO shirt ... I'm so-and so". Perhaps I'll see you there??
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

johnshotrods

I,m so excited to get there that I loaded up early today . Now its sit and wait . It's always nice to put a name to a face , excited to meet some of you in person . :handshake:

chris NOS

:crying: i can't go this year so many fantastic Mopar !!!

JH27N0B

Only about a week to go until the big show!
I was at the employee meeting last weekend and Bob said the show is shaping up to be a great one.
Between the Wing car main feature display when you first enter which has 22 Superbirds and Daytonas in it, Wellborns aero feature and a couple wing cars in Barn Finds, there are supposed to be around 40 wing cars on the floor!  :unbelievable:
Also right in front when you first enter the hall will be the black hemi cuda convertible that was recently purchased after being squirrelled away in storage by the original owner since 1978.  Word on the street is that the buyer paid $4M for that car.  It's heading off for a full restoration after the show ends, I believe to Apex, so maybe it will be making another appearance next year freshly concours restored.
I'm eager to see what cars are in the Mr Norms tribute display too.
I normally work the stage area over the weekend but this year I'll be at my Malaise era muscle display for the show.  My idea for a display originally was envisioned to be 15 to 18 cars, but the idea got a lot of enthusiasm from the collector car crowd and really took off , and when the dust settled last month we ended up with over 30 cars lined up.  Stop by and check it out, as the famous line from the classic Monty Python's Flying Circus show went, "and now for something completely different"!
It certainly is for me, though no worries, E bodies are still my first love and I'm not jumping ship.  Just expanding my car passion into some new areas to learn about and have fun with.  :)
Here is my "disco boy" car that will be in the display.

anlauto

Educate ne...What years does the Malaise Era cover ? I've never heard that term before  :thinking:
What type of cars are included in your 30 ?

$4M for a car needing restoration ? What's a fully restored one worth these days ? $3M? :))
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JH27N0B

The way high end muscle car values have been going lately, that triple black 4 speed hemi cuda convertible will probably be worth 1 billion dollars when its done.  :looney:
The "malaise era" is generally considered to be '73-'83, when gas shortages, smog motors and 5 mph bumpers were causing the big 3 a world of hurt.
Sometimes the end of the era is cited as '87, as that is when the despised 55 mph national speed limit was repealed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaise_era
The cars of the time have mostly been looked down on with few exceptions (like Trans Ams).  But they still mostly had the same basic chassis as the cars of the 60s and early 70s.  They were RWD V8s.  So it didn't take a lot of effort to wake them up, with headers, a cam, a new manifold and cam.
Many cars of this era like Monzas and Aspens can still be found every weekend bracket racing at just about every dragstrip.
But otherwise most of these cars have disappeared and become like unicorns you rarely see.
We've got cars like a '73 Grand Am, '74 GTO (the only year the GTO was on the Nova platform), a very cool orange King Cobra Mustang, a 6 figure rotisserie restoration of a '77 Can Am, one or two Supercoupes, 2 '75 Roadrunners (the only year roadrunner on that body style), several prototype or factory car show display type cars (like the '80 Magnum Mirada), and of course my 1 of 861 '78 Magnum GT.
All pristine examples as is the standards of MCACN (except the Barn Finds display of course).
Every year there are a 100s of cars like hemi cudas, Superbirds, Yenko Camaros, L88 Corvettes, Ram IV Pontiacs, Shelbies,  and the like at this show.
Though those museum pieces never will get boring, the malaise display is something a little out of the ordinary and I think it will get a lot of attention.

anlauto

Thank you, sounds interesting, and I agree, people will likely walk right by a Hemicuda to see something different :twothumbsup:

JH27N0B

Honestly my Magnum seems to get more attention at local shows and cruises than my Challengers.
I like to be the only one at an event with a certain kind of unusual car.
It's the 180 degree opposite of owning a Fox body Mustang or late model Vette, the proverbial feet of the car world (everyone's got 'em).
This display has 30 cars like that, with the exception of a '79 Trans Am.  It's not unusual to see a late 70s Trans Am, at least the one in the display isn't black.
But pretty much all the rest of the cars we have lined up will be unicorns or near unicorns!

johnshotrods

A 1973 Grand Am ! Boy its been awhile since i seen one of those . I remember when the Grand Am and the Laguna came out , needless to say I was stunned and thought the muscle car world was GONE FOREVER !
:rubeyes:  LOL

johnshotrods

Hey all , Not sure where to post this but I have an extra room for friday and saturday night across from the convention center . A couple of our friends cant go so if someone  on here knows of someone needing a room we could work something out .
Its to late to cancel the reservation or I would .

chris NOS

i hope they'll never restore the hemi cuda !if  it's original paint that would be a big mistake !!!

johnshotrods

Quote from: johnshotrods on November 15, 2022, 07:00:55 AM
Hey all , Not sure where to post this but I have an extra room for friday and saturday night across from the convention center . A couple of our friends cant go so if someone  on here knows of someone needing a room we could work something out .
Its to late to cancel the reservation or I would .

Room is no longer available .

JH27N0B

I was at the show setup yesterday. Another great year in store.
Yes I've taken some pictures, but unfortunately it'll take some time to get them organized and uploaded into Flickr albums so I don't have them to share now.
Since starting working from home my work laptop and monitors takes up my desk.  I've been using my iPads for 95% of my personal computer needs, and my old laptop gathers dust.
One of the few personal use things I did on the work computer was uploading my pictures, but early last summer they changed to a different security system, and I then found Flickr is now blocked.  :pullinghair: :verymad:
So instead of spending a half hour throwing an album together I have to set up my old laptop on a table in my living room and fight with that wheezing and moaning 12 year old Thinkpad.  Now takes 2+ hours to do what took a fraction of that on my work PC. And my blood pressure goes up 20 points in the process. Time to retire and get my desk back, and buy a newer laptop as a retirement gift to myself!
The hemi cuda convertible is there, but covered to be unveiled Saturday morning.
There must be more wing cars than have ever been at a show before. I heard 40 were registered.
The Superbird that got a lot of press recently after being blasted out of its garage ad heavily damaged by the hurricane storm surge is there on display by an Illinois shop tasked with restoring it.
There's also a bunch of Charger 500s.
And of course some e bodies!

anlauto

I can't wait for your pictures, always enjoy them....thank you for putting the albums together :worship: