Main Menu

Musclecar and Corvette Nationals 11-23 & 24 Rosemont IL

Started by JH27N0B, December 22, 2018, 07:34:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Linked Events

JH27N0B

Mecum auctions will have actual Bullitt Mustang on display at the show.  Being reminded of that yesterday inspired me to watch the movie last night, though seeing that triple black Charger get destroyed in the chase made me sad.

benlavigne

Quote from: RzeroB on November 02, 2019, 08:01:13 PM
If you see this guy be sure to say "hi!"

Nice that you can make it this year, Tom!
We could setup a meeting at a fixed time at a specific location, maybe near JH270B's car?
Here's my mg shot, I'll have a pass marked ''Press''

Ben

JH27N0B

Show starts 2 weeks from today!
I'm getting frustrated with the weather here, December has come a month early!  Bitter cold, and some snow means the trucks have been out dumping salt on the area roadways.  And I want to get my car out and burn up more gas, as its got a half tank and fire codes at the convention center require 1/4 tank or less.  Plus I'm hoping to drive it to the show either Thursday or Friday of setup rather than have to coordinate having a local friend and well known Mopar character (rhinodart from Moparts) to transport my car with his rig.
After a bad forecast this coming week, the outlook seems to show a moderating trend next weekend which hopefully will continue through the next week and weekend of the show!  :fingerscrossed:
Where is global warming when you need it? :headbang:

7E-Bodies

Why not siphon the excess into gas cans and pour it into your daily driver?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

JH27N0B

I've got a couple small gas cans but since I'm trying to get rid of clutter don't want to buy a 5 gallon can to temporarily stash some of its gas, but then take up space in my already space challenged garage.
And there is a little bit of lead in the convertible's gas, so putting it in one of my daily drivers and risking damaging the cats isn't a good idea.  I could put some in my T/As tank I guess but I'd still rather just put another 30-40 miles on the car to get it down.  It's also been suggested I disconnect the lead to the sender so the gage reads zero.   ;)

JS29

It seems to me there would be more room for fumes in a quarter full tank than a full tank!  :Stirring: :alan2cents:

JH27N0B

I wasn't involved in drafting the Rosemont IL fire code so am not sure why they decided 1/4 is "safe" and anything over is a danger.  And it's all relative, some years I go to the World of Wheels held there in March, and they have an area of custom trucks.  I bet a 1/4 tank in one of the jacked up Rams and F250s I see there is more gas in the tank than 1/2 is in my Challenger.  And a 1/4 tank in a vintage Beetle might be about 1/8 tank in an E body!  Therefore the requirement seems sort of arbitrary, in my mind allowing any amount of gas in a car displayed there presents some degree of hazard, so allowing beyond that you might as well allow anything up to full tanks. But again, they didn't ask me so all I can do is comply with their rule.

anlauto

JH27N0B....you sometimes deal with the incoming cars and parking and such ???
Does ANYBODY ever look at the gas gauge of the in coming cars ?

1/4 tank is a general rule of thumb for any indoor event or enclosed transport, but I doubt very many get checked or turn away for having 3/8 of a tank :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71gogreen

I'm heading out to the show this year. My wife "mentioned" that I should go. She probably felt guilty because I turned 60! :thankyou:

RzeroB

Quote from: 71gogreen on November 09, 2019, 01:24:26 PM
I'm heading out to the show this year. My wife "mentioned" that I should go. She probably felt guilty because I turned 60! :thankyou:

A spousal "mention" is as good as a full blown approval in my book!!

Don't forget your E-bodies dot org swag, post up your mug, or act suspicious around JH27NOB's 'vert so other members can ID you!!
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

JH27N0B

Quote from: anlauto on November 09, 2019, 11:37:49 AM
JH27N0B....you sometimes deal with the incoming cars and parking and such ???
Does ANYBODY ever look at the gas gauge of the in coming cars ?

1/4 tank is a general rule of thumb for any indoor event or enclosed transport, but I doubt very many get checked or turn away for having 3/8 of a tank :dunno:
Some years back when I had my V code in the show and drove it there, a Rosemont public safety officer was in the staging lot checking cars and saw my gage a bit above 1/4 and said "you look a little heavy, you might need to drive around and burn some off".  I said by the time I idled a bit longer and got in the building it should be down and he let me go.
The times in recent years I had my T/A in the show, it was trailered in.  Last year, I flagged down one of the public safety officers and he gave it a quick lookover and called it good.  They put an inspection sticker on the windshield or a headlight after they inspect the car that states they checked the gas and that the battery is disconnected.  The guy last year didn't seem to care much and just gave the car a quick glance, mostly going through the motions. But other of the officers I'm sure are more strict and I don't want to end up having to figure out how to get the gage down if one of them gets hard nosed.
I got the car out and drove it around for a bit late this afternoon, but just got it down from a bit over 1/2 to a hair under half.  Here is a rare sight in this picture I took while out, I rarely have the car out with the top up!  But I don't generally have it out when it is in the low 40s either!

RzeroB

Looks good!! Thanks for posting ... now we all know what the rallye point (your car) looks like!!  :bigthumb:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

6bblgt

I'll be there all weekend with my "E-BODIES" shirt under my parka  :D  see you there!

7E-Bodies

Really hoping to meet you. You've been a huge help to me @6bblgt ...along with many others here.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

RzeroB

Received a fresh E-bodies blue shirt today ... so thanks to @Cuda Cody I'll be sure to be wearing my snazzy new swag at the show! Oh, and did I mention how @Cuda Cody ROCKS!!
Cheers!
Tom