Main Menu

1971 barracuda on Facebook

Started by Shoooter, March 06, 2017, 12:12:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

Quote from: Shoooter on March 06, 2017, 01:04:20 PM
Quote from: Crocha617 on March 06, 2017, 12:56:00 PM
Quote from: Shoooter on March 06, 2017, 12:54:13 PM
I got a phone number if someone is interested.

I'm afraid to call... I don't want the number... Don't send me the number what ever you do....even if I ask you for it in an hour.

Don't check you pm then...even in a hour don't check it.....unless you want to the number as its sitting in you pm box 8)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cuda Cody

:o  Not sure where to begin.  There's a couple ways I can look at this...  reply as if I was consider buying the car or try to look at it from the stand point of someone else buying the car.  Since there is no way I would ever buy that car even at half the price I'll try to view it from the point of view as if I was looking at the car for my brother.  Since my brother has never restored a car and everyone on here is like my brother or sister, here's what I really think:

Short version: It's a hodgepodge of low quality parts put on by a low skilled person.  Avoid this car unless you really know exactly what you are doing.  :alan2cents:

Longer version: Maybe someone did their best and I applaud them for trying, but you need to know going in to this car that there's going to be a ton of expensive things to fix.  Before I even talk about the low quality of work done, it's a 318 none Cuda.  Great car to resto-mod or make a Hemi clone but why go to all the work of restoring it to a 340 when there are real 340 Cuda's out there for not much more money.  And in the end a real 340 car will be worth much more.  So now why did the owner break out the paint when there is so much metal work to be done first?  What were they in a hurry to hide?  The look of the firewall scares the crap out of me.   :stop:   They smoothed it over with something?  :steamingmad:  WHY?  So much wrong it's not even worth talking about. The inner fenders look like they were replaced so either it was super rusty or involved in a front end collision?   And it looks like they only put 4 welds to hold them in so that's not going to be okay for me.  Maybe it was a side impact crash?  That would explain the replacement passenger door and quarter panel.  So all the paint has to come off the car to see what is going on and a frame rack is almost a for sure thing that will be needed.  I would ask for photos of the before work (bare metal) of the engine bay, but there's pretty much no chance that they will have those if they are hiding something.  There are some spots on the car that would normally be pretty bad for rust and since they do not look horrible I'm really thinking it must have been in an accident.  But that's just a guess.  Do we know if the body numbers are on the car (Radiator and Cowl VINs)?  Because  the frame rails look to be 1970 (not 71).  The more I look at this car the more it scares me.

@Chippa  can you remind me of your skill level and what you want to do with the car? 

anlauto

It's not a good candidate for restoration, but it might be worth throwing together to drive, but for that the entry level buy in price would have to be dirt cheap :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

A.Gramz

How rare is that cruse control 

Spikedog08

Hmmm I may need a new project . . . .  :huh:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

RUNCHARGER

I agree, it depends on the skill level of the buyer. I like the grille, I like the shaker, I like the 70-71 rally gauges that look to be in good shape. I would sell the six pack, I would sell the race block. It needs some sheetmetal parts and I am glad he didn't go any further with the paint and bondo. I would go over the car with a tape measure and maybe even check it on a frame rack. Then I would strip the shell and go over everything that has been done and clean it up. I guess if the price can be negotiated a bit it could be an okay deal if you really need a 71 Barracuda (remember there is some value in selling the six pack and race block too). For me though I would pass on it but I'm not a 71 Cuda foamer. I think a person would be better off with this car than paying more for a running and painted car with worse bones though, if that makes sense. To me this car can still be made into a very nice car but it will take sweat equity.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

@Chippa   this is a buddy's 71 Cuda and he's considering selling it.  He's not put a price on it, but I can put you two in touch if it looks like a car you would be interested in.

Chippa

Thank you so much guys...this is why i have posted up all the pics...i had lots of concerns but i just wanted everyones opinion...

I agree there are much better examples out there and true 340 cars etc that can be had for the money i have available to me to spend.

There's no point buying this car for say 14k then pumping another 25-35k into it and end up with a car that would be worth alot less than invested

@Cody will be in touch in regards to friends car...in the meantime heres another for you all to look at and give thoughts !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24rq9aokPpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1FiVaOl5uY

Owner wants 17k....

Andrew

Cuda Cody

What's wrong with me?  :huh:  Why do I think that car is car over priced too?  It's just a L code Barracuda and he wants Cuda money for it?   :looney:  And why do a close up of the emission sticker under the hood and not the Fender Tag?

Even with the patch job on the trunk and floor pans, it's a much better car then that first 71 Barracuda.  But I have a hard time spending that kind of money on a car that still needs a restoration and isn't even a real Cuda.   :Thud:  Maybe it's just me but I think you should be able to find a much better project (and a real Cuda) for that much.   :notsure:  Semi solid projects all cost the same to restore so try to get one with the most upside as possible.

Chippa

Lol thx Cody !!!

Maybe everyone thinks their cars are all worth big bucks !!!!

I dont know enough about Cudas yet to form an opinion and thats why i'm extremely appreciative of all the knowledgeable ppl on this site for their input ....

The search continues !!! and again many thx from me 

HP_Cuda

Yep herein lies the problem with many project mopars.

Patience is key.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

nsmall

I'm a rookie at car Restorations but I'm involved with an ebody restoration and I would highly recommend you to listen carefully to everyone.

OEM parts and even new parts are very expensive IMO. For me I was too picky about everything so I ended up buying a lot of new parts and looking back on it I probably should have just waited to find one restored as I'll be about 20,000 upside down by time I'm done.

I will send having a blast looking for parts and restoring parts and finishing the car the way I want.  For me this is not a investment...I have other Investments, for me this is just a lot of fun.

I was told to buy the most complete car for what I could afford and I did that but it still ends up being very expensive.

And maybe you don't have this problem but I can't rebuild Transmissions or engines as I don't know much about that.
Be PATIENT

Chippa

Quote from: nsmall on April 11, 2017, 05:41:40 PM
I'm a rookie at car Restorations but I'm involved with an ebody restoration and I would highly recommend you to listen carefully to everyone.

OEM parts and even new parts are very expensive IMO. For me I was too picky about everything so I ended up buying a lot of new parts and looking back on it I probably should have just waited to find one restored as I'll be about 20,000 upside down by time I'm done.

I will send having a blast looking for parts and restoring parts and finishing the car the way I want.  For me this is not a investment...I have other Investments, for me this is just a lot of fun.

I was told to buy the most complete car for what I could afford and I did that but it still ends up being very expensive.

And maybe you don't have this problem but I can't rebuild Transmissions or engines as I don't know much about that.
Be PATIENT

Great advice for sure....i am old enough and fortunate to have been around cars for quite some time now....restoring my Charger was a great learning curve also for me from a Mopar perspective but i have owned a few Aussie muscle cars and crewed on some fairly quick drag cars as well which has helped me along the way.

I'm not a mechanic by trade or body man but my passion for cars and having a trade background has given me the confidence to take on repairing things with good results...Anyone that is a car guy knows that more often than not you pump more cash into this hobby than you will ever get back....but sometimes we have a win like i did with my Charger and thats what is allowing me to search for my next Mopar.

I'm constantly trying to justify both sides of the fence...buy a good finished car to continue/add to the overall condition which generally can save you money in the long run....or go for a good solid platform car thats complete but needs to be restored over time...the latter for me is more satisfying in the sense you can look back and enjoy your achievements...but turn key has its pros as well.

cant wait to get back into another Mopar.....i'll post up some pics soon of the car that started this all off for me that i had the pleasure of babysitting in my garage for a couple of years....a Matching # 1970 T/A 340 six pack 4 speed car....stay tuned :)

nsmall

Sounds like you have a good car background. I....lke many people was a little naive on thinking how much it would cost without doing enough research even though I thought I did a ton of research.

Mopars cost $$$$ but in my opinion there is no debate, e and b bodies are the best muscle cars ever made and look so cool.

Yes share some pics of your babysitting