Main Menu

dealer built 72 AAR

Started by kathyscuda, May 23, 2018, 06:40:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

if you look at the sidestripe under the mirror it goes black there where it is shaded , no big deal to add new stripes after 45 years .
without a dealer invoice showing the mods done at the time of purchase everything is unprovable  so who knows what the truth is  :notsure:
the point is that it is possible in 72 to do this & the tag & build sheet would tell nothing .

RUNCHARGER

Okay: I read the ad, says the vinyl roof is original. okay....
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 25, 2018, 06:32:51 PM
Okay: I read the ad, says the vinyl roof is original. okay....

From the ad...

"This is a beautiful 1972 Barracuda AAR. Fiberglass hood. Lower front spoiler, rear spoiler, dual exhaust, 340 motor, manual 4 speed, 6 pack carburetor, front disc brakes, bucket seats, am/fm 8 track radio. This car was built in late 1972 as an AAR from the dealer. Have title.  Never dented or damaged. No rust. Runs great. Original 15" wheels. Nice BF Goodrich tires. Original vinyl roof. Pistol grip shifter."

HP2

Don't original AAR hoods tend to bow a bit in the middle?

I agree its possible, dealers would do anything for a buck, but without an invoice it is unprovable.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I also don't think it really matters. The Grand Spaulding cars were interesting but any other dealer changes don't really mean anything to me. I remember the local dealer changing hubcaps and such to sell a car, that doesn't mean it adds any collectibility. There was a local 74 Challenger that the guy claimed he had the dealer install a 69 440 and Imperial rear discs on when he bought it new. I thought it was sort of cool but told him he would have been better spending that $$$ on a used Hemi Car for much less at the time.
Sheldon

torredcuda

Looks like a fairly recent resto and even if he has paperwork to prove ( which he doesn`t mention he has any ) it`s still just a dealer modified car which means nothing except maybe if it was a Mr Norms car or something.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

70chall440

I guess the implication is that they used actual Mopar parts and Mopar mechanics to do the work, therefore it is supposed to be better than someone doing it themselves. While this would normally have some merit to a degree, I would question this pretty hard specifically because of the pistol grip handle. That car would have came with the correct one as a 4spd car, thus anyone at a dealer would know that (since they had been in Ebodies since 70). the B body variant was much less common so why use it over a Ebody one especially if you were doing a clone.

While it isnt impossible, it seems unlikely that a dealer would put the time and money into this car to convert it seeing that it would not have been a big money maker and they are typically are in the business of flipping cars as fast as possible. My experience with dealers is that they resist doing anything that isn't very quick (hub caps, steering wheels, etc.). Now, I could totally see a dealer building this car at the request of a paying customer which may be the deal here (guy who missed out on the originals and really wanted one). That would be a good story although I cannot see it necessarily adding any real value to the car.

The car is worth what someone wants to pay for it. Given that it is a Cuda and if someone took the time to actually installed everything that an AAR had correctly, then it would be a cool and fun car to own. I personally prefer the 72 tail lights to the 70 so from that aspect I like it. Should it sell for the same price as a 70 AAR? Well that is up to the buyer. Is it as good as a 70 AAR, could be as they are essentially the same car so long as the conversion was done correctly.
Mopar or no car!!!

IRON MAN

Was  AAR CUDA side exhaust phased out in 1972?  :rofl:

bluespruce

Might of been too much of an up charge for him

cuda hunter

I wonder why there is a block holding the front passengers tire.
And isn't the rear antenna in the wrong place.

If your gonna make claims as to "dealer built"  you should at least have most things correct. 

28,800 now.   What do yal think it will go for? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

I don't think the $28.8k right now is unreasonable but it's getting close to where it is unrealistic. I think the flinstone parking option is standard on a lot of Ebay cars.
Sheldon

kathyscuda

the friends really puffed that one up to 29k before it ended.