Main Menu

How I got completely scammed............

Started by gmcderm, February 08, 2021, 08:38:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

Sounds like the inspection company did not do their job correctly. I hired an inspection company once and they did a very through job for me. They done a magnet test to locate where bondo was used. Check all gaps and alignment of the body and how doors, hood and trunk lid operate. Inspect every inch of the body for rust bubble and scratches. Found evidence of prior accident and provide their opinion on repairs. Check all numbers on the car, fender tag decode, inspected the interior and how all gauges operate. Have car on the lift at the dealer and inspected the underside. A driving test was then carried out. The report was very through and included over 100 pictures. I spent about $400 for that and was very pleased with the info I got.

If the car was rusted that bad, no amount of paint and undercoating can hide it once it is on the lift.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

70rag383

Very sorry to hear about your terrible experience. The inspector has to be held accountable in this mess. They tell you after you pay $35K  that the seller hampered their efforts to properly inspect the car?  Why couldn't they alert you to that fact before you pay?  It almost seems like the inspector might have been "in" on this scam.

Echoing other members...we're here to help so when you find your next prospective Challenger let us know. We all know what to look for and can advise you on a fair price once we are able to evaluate the condition of the car.

RUNCHARGER

Sorry to hear that. You wonder how people like that can look at themselves in the mirror.
Sheldon

Spikedog08

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 09, 2021, 08:20:11 AM
Sorry to hear that. You wonder how people like that can look at themselves in the mirror.

Let alone sleep at night . . So sorry your plan was ruined after saving for your dream car.  Sure wish those involved could get what is coming to them.  Boy if I could bottle karma and sell it . . I would own a lot of ebodies! 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Brads70

Wow, horrible story. Sorry it happened.  :sorry:  Karma is a bitch..... someday they will get what's coming to them.

gmcderm

Thanks all for the kind words! Very reassuring to know that there is a great E body community out there and not everyone is trying on some sort of scam!

Sounds like I might be able to find something back in Australia when I return soon. That way I can actually inspect personally and avoid a repeat of this whole mess

blown motor

Sorry you scammed. I believe that member wldgtx has a PCP Challenger for sale, or at least he did.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

gmcderm

Here are some pictures but they don't quite capture the extent of the rust (and the poor attempts of covering it up). Have also attached some pictures of the apparent "numbers matching" state of the car. As you can tell, attempts at removing the cowl VIN show that is was likely originally  FY1 not FC7

IRON MAN

I hate to see these evil scum bags taking advantage of people. Happened to me once on eBay. Was high bidder on eBay on what was advertised to be a rust-free 68 Dodge Charger. What a joke that turned out to be. Flew from SF Bay Area to Colorado Springs with a certified check. Stayed at Howard Johnsons, rented a Jeep, next morning went to see eBay's sub contractor transporter pick up the 68 Charger. The Charger was grossly misrepresented, rust, sway bar hanging with broken bracket, over heated in several minutes of idling, the gauges did not work, magnet would not stick on the  quarter panels, etc. Told the seller I wanted my deposit back. Said he spent it. Called eBay on the spot. They said the transporter had broken down. I said good. I'm not buying this 68 Charger because it was grossly misrepresented and the seller commited fraud. Ebay said, we can't refund your deposit we consider it an intangible. Called USAA told them I want USAA to charge back eBay the $500 deposit and credit my VISA. USAA said to file a report and we will do what we can do. I got back my deposit, two weeks later. However it cost me ~$800 for the hotel, air plane, and jeep rental. Hey! It was worth the $800 not to have that 68 Charger in my driveway. Lesson learned.  Be careful when buying a car unseen. The last time I checked, eBay still considers the deposit an intangible. My Dad said for every sucker there are two cons. These muscle car dealers are last of the horse- traders. In the last two years I have been high bidder on two collector cars with no reserve, a 57 BelAir and a 73 Challenger. Got great deals on two nice cars. These are "keepers". In both cases I trailer-ed them home within 48 hours to avoid paying eBay a deposit.....let the seller pay the deposit.   h

js27

So sorry for you. I learned a long time ago what " BUYER BEWARE" means. There are some awesome people in the world but unfortunately there are just as many dicks. Looking at your pictures made my stomach turn. I can just imagine how you felt when you saw that mess. If that dealer refused to work with you I would have made a complaint to the Better Business Bureau.
JS27

JS29

There may be laws agents selling a car, retail that is not roadworthy! but you selling the car may have been beneficial to them.  :console:   

challengermaniac

Definitely an unfortunate set of circumstances currently preventing from enjoying these great cars.

Just wondering if you ever contacted Ebay to determine if and how your purchase might/may have been covered by their Vehicle Purchase Protection program?  Have never used it myself so just wondering if it would have applied.......
1970 Challenger Convertible EB5

ec_co

Quote from: js27 on February 09, 2021, 01:01:44 PM
I would have made a complaint to the Better Business Bureau.
JS27

LOL ... the BBB is a joke. no one uses them anymore, most of the younger crown doesn't even know who they are. they certainly won't do anything to help, they'll send a letter out to a business owner  ... that's it. It's MUCH better to use sites that people frequent for reviews - Google, Yelp, Facebook, etc. - flame them on Google reviews with those photos attached, then everyone can see exactly what kind of business they are.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came