Main Menu

WANTED: 1970 barracuda with M46 option

Started by cuda hunter, February 01, 2017, 08:56:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Seeing how they are made I can understand them not " surviving"  48 years .

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Brads70 on February 05, 2017, 12:17:38 PM
Seeing how they are made I can understand them not " surviving"  48 years .

That is what I am thinking. The design sure was a way to catch a lot of road dirt and cause rusting.

cuda hunter

Sorry I hadn't seen this yet.

scoops were covered with rubber.  They came in both metal and aluminum backing.  They were held on with screws.  But there are two or maybe three styles of screw hold ons.

The one thing that i have yet to find is an M46 with the non red stripe on the body line.  Every one I have ever seen is red and white.  I believe they came in blue but have not seen this.

I own an Ev2 383 auto car M46. 

I have a pair of scott's reproduction plastic scoops and a few original scoops to go along with it.  Some in very poor shape.  The metal scoops tended to rust and would bubble and look horrible.  But the aluminum ones never rusted and will not usually look bad. 

I will try to get some pics up on here of some of the cars I have saved over the years. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

HP_Cuda

Since we have cuda hunter answering questions.

Was the M46 a factory install only or did they also do it at the dealer?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

cuda hunter

From what I have found they were only installed at the factory.

I have seen build sheets with M46 but have never seen any information about a dealer actually installing them on a car.  Nor have I seen or heard any info on any dealership ever having these on the shelf as parts.

So as far as I know they were only installed at the factory.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

That last picture of the reflective stripe is from my car.  Still has some of the original striping on it.  :twothumbsup:

cuda hunter

I will say that dwight is the man with most of the answers.  That guy has a collection of M46's unlike anyone I have ever talked to.  Have not met him yet.

Not sure if he is on here yet. 

cuda hunter

no registry yet.

Wish I could do it but with my current job I just don't have time.  Nor am I very tech savy.

It would be nice to have one for this as this is one of the hardest options to find out there.  I have been looking for over ten years now for this option. 
I own one.  Could have purchased another with no fender tag or title.  passed on it.  :headbang: should have purchased it.  fe5 318 no rust.  purchased the scoops out of the trunk from the guy.  Still kick myself over that one. 

This is what was in the trunk when he opened it up.  He had not opened the trunk since he had purchased it.  I wanted a fender tag in order to purchase it.  Again, wish I had purchased it. 

cuda hunter

This is the car that Gordon used to own. It's the maroon one in the pictures cataclysm80 posted.

Long story on this one. I almost purchased it.  Then Gordon cut everything off of it and it sat on a dirt floor.  Then he sold it.  Then I purchased the scoops from Gordon.
The car showed up in Florida at a restoration shop and I almost purchased it again from them.  Then it sold to someone and I lost the lead to the car.  So I passed my info on to the shop
and told them to pass it along to the guy who purchased it.  Never heard or seen the car again.

cuda hunter

Quote from: the_cuda_guy on February 03, 2017, 12:29:08 AM
Moparal's M46 car I think was a 383 4sp car, and was very affordable when he sold it.  At one point I think this car was deemed the closest for accuracy on a M46 restored car.

Al's car was just awesome.  Sold for a very reasonable price. I purchased Al's one spare passengers side scoop that was in horrible condition.  And I waaaaaay over paid for it.  But it's what he paid.  :D

I talked to Al about 8 months ago.  Tried calling again and did not get through.  Hey Cuda Guy have you spoken with Al lately?  I have been expecting his kin to come through Colorado for some Elk hunting that I am going to help guide them to.

Good ole Al.  found this pic.  Wish he was able to be around more. 

cuda hunter

Barts scoops were not correct by any means.  They looked good for sure.  So did his car.  But not very close to the originals.

I know HemiKen (over on cc.com)  has been trying to get me to send him a set over in Australia for years now.  I just have a hard time sending parts to another country.  Kinda hard to go get them back if something weird happens.  Ken wants to reproduce them in the original style but with updated materials.

Scotts reproductions work for sure.  Look find when mounted.  They are a little bendy since they are abs plastic but they work just fine with a little doctoring.  I sure appreciate Scott making those scoops.  I only got my hands on one set from him. At least I got those.  They will go on my 67 barracuda "warrior" My monstrosity.

cuda hunter

This is another M46 318 fy1. 
For some reason I didn't get the fender tag picture.  It had the tag and the guy told me it had the m46 option.  This was on ebay.  I didn't purchase it as it went for far too much money.

blacked out radiator area

fender tag was there

blacked out tail panel   and the original dealership it was purchased at

You can just make out the right side of the 6 on the M line in the 4 box that states skirt side scoop

cuda hunter

cuda hunter

supposed to be an original paint car with the black vinyl side protectors and the black out.  But I never saw a fender tag so not sure about the car.

cuda hunter