Main Menu

A66 Challenger Registry

Started by 340challconvert, February 09, 2020, 08:14:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

340Challman

Quote from: 340challconvert on March 25, 2020, 07:43:01 AM
Found an interesting video of a 1970 A66 Challenger in hemi-orange and black bumble stripe. Anyone know this car? Posted February 2012

https://youtu.be/Zh1mrrqq3As

A-66
Registry

Yes, I know the owner well. He is a member here. If he has not piped up, I'll have to assume he prefers not to. Car is still alive and well.  :)
Kevin

340Challman

I was floating around FEBO and came across a thread about the A66 Challengers. Questions were popping up about A66 cars having R/T emblems on them. I've owned my A66 for 30 years. It had emblems on it when I bought it and I just assumed that some PO had put them on. Is there any indication that they could have been factory or maybe dealer installed, or just purely speculation? The car is going in for an extensive resto and if there is any chance that they were there from the beginning, I want to put them back. Thoughts? :dunno:
Kevin

benlavigne

Quote from: 340Challman on August 04, 2020, 01:53:39 PM
I was floating around FEBO and came across a thread about the A66 Challengers. Questions were popping up about A66 cars having R/T emblems on them. I've owned my A66 for 30 years. It had emblems on it when I bought it and I just assumed that some PO had put them on. Is there any indication that they could have been factory or maybe dealer installed, or just purely speculation? The car is going in for an extensive resto and if there is any chance that they were there from the beginning, I want to put them back. Thoughts? :dunno:

Wéll, as has been said before, never say never with Chrysler's infamous quality control in the 60's-70's..... But all A66's are JH code, so none are supposed to have R/T emblems. I have pictures of my car litteraly since new sitting on the dealer lot, no R/T... Then some from 1973, and it has them on.... If you want to restore a car with an unusual or incorrect item, you need solid evidence it was really there when the car was on the trailer or on the lot.... Lots happened to those cars in the first couple years, still happens, look at all the new Challengers on the road with Hellcat or SRT badges!

Ben

340Challman

Agreed. That's why I assumed that a previous owner did it. Well, it seems that there is no way to know for sure. The likelihood of finding someone that has prior knowledge of this car is unlikely. I bought the car in San Diego in 1990. B5 blue, 4 speed without console, tail stripe delete, AM 8 track with three speaker dash. Vinyl roof that was removed before I bought it. Car might not have been a California car since it had more rust than I would have expected for a local car. So could have come from anywhere. Someone installed a correct complete six pack setup on it. The air cleaner however is off of a 440 car. Also they put a Dana 60 with 4.10's in it as well. Correct E body Dana. Quite the conglomeration of parts. What can I say though, I love the car.  :D
Kevin

6bblgt

I was going to ask, are there any A66 cars in the registry with the OPTIONAL "V6_" stripe?

from another thread:
QuoteThat stripe was not an option on the A66, Bumblebee was standard, could be deleted, or body side moldings deleted it.

:stop: NOT TRUE
mid -year 1970 the "R/T" sport side stripe was available on Deputy, base Challenger and SE (without the "R/T" cutout) but it was significantly "RARE"

of the ~60,000 non-R/T Challengers ~200 had the V6? side stripe

benlavigne

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 07, 2020, 11:40:06 AM
I was going to ask, are there any A66 cars in the registry with the OPTIONAL "V6_" stripe?

from another thread:
QuoteThat stripe was not an option on the A66, Bumblebee was standard, could be deleted, or body side moldings deleted it.

:stop: NOT TRUE
mid -year 1970 the "R/T" sport side stripe was available on Deputy, base Challenger and SE (without the "R/T" cutout) but it was significantly "RARE"

of the ~60,000 non-R/T Challengers ~200 had the V6? side stripe

Thanks Dan,
I stand corrected... Do you have any bulletin, etc... on this? Since it was an option on cars without stripes, they'd still offer it on A66's?

Ben

6bblgt

FROM AN ORDERING STANDPOINT the 340 cars were "just" base Challengers with an "engine package", so yes they would be included with the stripe offering

I looked but can't locate the memo/bulletin/etc. that mentions it ....... I thought I had info on a 318 Mr. Norm's car with a side stripe,  :-[ also unable to locate

but here's an A66 car  8)

340Challman

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 07, 2020, 01:22:55 PM
the 340 cars were "just" base Challengers with an "engine package"

I have to respectfully disagree with you there. From everything I have read, the A66 has an almost identical suspension, Well it is identical to the 383 R/T cars. They had 383 torsion bars and HD suspension. Most had sway bars front and rear. An A66 car is for all intents and purposes a small block R/T car. :cheers:

Oh and my 340 4 speed A66 Challenger loses to my buddies 68 440 727 Charger R/T by about three feet. I'll take that. :banana:
Kevin

Teslasbrain

Quote from: 340Challman on August 07, 2020, 05:44:18 PM

I have to respectfully disagree with you there. From everything I have read, the A66 has an almost identical suspension, Well it is identical to the 383 R/T cars. They had 383 torsion bars and HD suspension. Most had sway bars front and rear. An A66 car is for all intents and purposes a small block R/T car. :cheers:

Oh and my 340 4 speed A66 Challenger loses to my buddies 68 440 727 Charger R/T by about three feet. I'll take that. :banana:

Yeah, but if there is a dead man's curve at the end of the run you'll make the turn and be fine, but your buddy will suffer a different fate.  8)

TA/Z06/GSXR1100

Well said! Let's not forget the 340 was a performance engine from start . There is only one other power-plant that I'm aware of  in the 1970 lineup that holds this distinction. We all know what that is! All other BB " performance" engines are just derivatives ! In that if one was to go digging they'll find a 2- barrel low compression variant very easily.

I'm glad they weren't branded with the "R/T" moniker. Makes them even that much more intriguing and charming!

benlavigne

the 340 cars were "just" base Challengers with an "engine package", so yes they would be included with the stripe offering

I looked but can't locate the memo/bulletin/etc. that mentions it ....... I thought I had info on a 318 Mr. Norm's car with a side stripe,  :-[ also unable to locate

but here's an A66 car  8)

Wow, that's quite an interesting tag! Late car, A66, three-speed manual, N95, V6X... So V6 deletes V9?
Thanks for posting!

Ben

benlavigne

I think Dan's comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, based on the fact that our A66 are JH models, even with all of the special equipment...

Ben

340challconvert

Sorry for being away the last few days; just got my power  and internet back after the hurricane.

340 A66 cars came with HD brakes, suspension with the same front torsion bars as a 383 RT Challenger. The 727 trans on an automatic was a HD unit for the small block. Many A66 cars came with the 3:55/gearing and all had HD rear leaf springs. (And let us not forget the standard E60-15:",wheels on the early A66 cars). Yea they had the RT hood, bumble stripe, and bee in the window, but they were essentially an RT Challenger with a high performance small block and a JH serial code. Later in the model run, you could get different stripes, spoilers, a TA hood, and even a shaker on an A66 car. Rear sway bars were not standard on the package, but optional suspensions were available that included this. ( I believe the rear bars were standard on a TA) Interestingly, a high number of A66 Challengers came with front disc brakes as I expand on data from the A66 Registry. In 1971, RT Challengers could be ordered with a 340 (no A66 designation code) with basically the same standard and optional equipment. They were a little more then just  a 340 engine! Cheers all Phil
:cheers:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

340Challman

Quote from: benlavigne on August 07, 2020, 08:15:48 PM

I think Dan's comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek, based on the fact that our A66 are JH models, even with all of the special equipment...

Ben

Well, I hope I didn't come across as disrespectful or offensive. That was not my intent. I was merely standing up for my beloved, as we all would do. :grouphug:
Kevin

340challconvert

As mentioned above, the V6 stripe did become available  later in the model run. Pretty rare. Only way to tell is a build sheet. Keep the Registry forms and associated data coming. I would like to better track this rare option! I will review the Registry data on this; I have listed stripe codes when available.
Interestingly, Quite a few A66 Challengers with the factory hood stripe! (V21) on file.
Another reference point; standard torsion bars on an A66; 778-779. I am finding a few A66's with the 780-81 bars indicating the original owner ordered the xtra HD suspension. Wonder how many were ordered like that?
Phil

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible