Main Menu

A66 Challenger Registry

Started by 340challconvert, February 09, 2020, 08:14:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Great idea!

If possible, I think it would be really cool to have more of a web-based form that requires a login-sign in. I think you may get more forms that way. For example, if I fill out a PDF, I'm going to need to know 100% of the information up front (some of it may take an our or so to dig up and needing to crawl under the car with a light to get). But if there was a way I could submit information when I have the time, I would have already submitted a "partial" registry and would definitely log back in to build upon it. It could be a good place to also have users submit photos and such. Just an idea.

The form isn't a whole lot to ask, but some of the information I have locked in a file cabinet in a folder somewhere, in emails, and lose forms here and there.

There's also the 14" -> 15" rally change as well. Or was that something that went 15" -> 14" -> 15". :)
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

340challconvert

kawahonda

Thanks for your thoughts
I enjoy tracking the statistics on our A66 Challengers
Since I started the A66 specific registry in March, I now have data on about 120 A66 cars.

I should have noted that the A66 Registry Form is currently a PDF Form and is available here, on FEBO, on Facebook and on the "a66challenger.com" website.

Owners are downloading the pdf form to fill out, then send/download them to the A66 Challenger Registry site; a66challengerregistry61@yahoo.com

Any registrations are welcome and appreciated.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

340challconvert

Quote from: kawahonda on June 24, 2020, 11:06:04 AM
Great idea!

If possible, I think it would be really cool to have more of a web-based form that requires a login-sign in. I think you may get more forms that way. For example, if I fill out a PDF, I'm going to need to know 100% of the information up front (some of it may take an our or so to dig up and needing to crawl under the car with a light to get). But if there was a way I could submit information when I have the time, I would have already submitted a "partial" registry and would definitely log back in to build upon it. It could be a good place to also have users submit photos and such. Just an idea.

The form isn't a whole lot to ask, but some of the information I have locked in a file cabinet in a folder somewhere, in emails, and lose forms here and there.

There's also the 14" -> 15" rally change as well. Or was that something that went 15" -> 14" -> 15". :)

kawahonda
I saw the intensive work you put in to your brake rebuild. NICE JOB
I noticed from the pics that you have an A66 with the V-8 emblems,
Does your car have the 340 decals on the hood or the metal callouts?

If you do decide to submit a Registration Form; here is the actual address for submission.
a66challengerregistry61@yahoo.com
Some A66 owners take a short cut and just post the information here on ebodies.org too.
Right now I have only 4 verified A66 Challengers with V8 emblems on file.
I hope to expand the information on the "V8" emblem cars.
Thanks
Phil

340challconvert

anlauto

How many cars do you now have in your registry ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340challconvert

Quote from: anlauto on June 26, 2020, 09:33:07 AM
A66 Registry initiated in March 2020 (only A66 Challengers)

Currently, there is data (partial and complete) on 124 A66 Challengers

Earliest SPD: 929
Latest SPD: 708

This includes: 81 hardtops, and 43 convertibles
                     3 A66 WSS Challengers
                     Most common color in Registry FK5 12%

anlauto

Quote from: 340challconvert on June 26, 2020, 10:24:05 AM
Quote from: anlauto on June 26, 2020, 09:33:07 AM
A66 Registry initiated in March 2020 (only A66 Challengers)

Currently, there is data (partial and complete) on 124 A66 Challengers

Earliest SPD: 929
Latest SPD: 708

This includes: 81 hardtops, and 43 convertibles

Hey, that's pretty excellent, good job :worship: :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

benlavigne

Quote from: kawahonda on June 24, 2020, 11:06:04 AM

@kawahonda , the change in required equipment (i.e. 15'' wheels and space-saver spare) was announced on Oct. 20, 1969. No mention if Rallye Wheels were standard, only RWL F70-14 Code T-87. My car came with 14'' Road Wheels, which are listed as a separate option. Maybe @6bblgt can chime in to verify if RWL tires automatically brought Rallye or Road Wheels? Don't recall seeing RWL tires with stell wheels and hubcaps?

Ben

6bblgt

part of the A66 package was RWL tires early (U82 E60-15s) VS. late (T87 F70-14s)

the early ~$250 package mandated the additional OPTIONs: Rallye wheels & space-saver spare - this caused the 340 JH car to be as expensive as a 383 JS car - not good!

a 10/28 scheduled (November built) 340 car currently on eBay - the window sticker shows a $47.95- credit for 14" tires ..... & NO space-saver
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Dodge-Challenger/143639260171?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I don't recall if the repriced "LATE A66" package mandated a wheel OPTION ??? does the registry have info (BS or WS) that show an A66 car with hub caps or wheel covers?

6bblgt

I found a b'cast sheet for a black A66 Challenger with RWL F70-14s & "deluxe" wheel covers (W11)

kawahonda

Mine was a November A66 with grandpa-sized 14" Ralleyes. :(

I just thought I heard somewhere that they started with 15s, then cost reduced to 14s', then raised it back up again....

From the last posts I still don't understand I guess. Good picture--it shows that A66s came with 14s as standard. Curious if that was always true throughout 1970.

6bblgt

EARLY A66 9/69 - 10/69 E60-15 tires STANDARD
LATE A66 11/69 - 7/70 F70-14 tires STANDARD, E60-15 tires OPTIONAL

kawahonda

So I was partially remembering correctly.

What makes it also stupid weird is:

Early A66s: 15" Ralleyes, Hood Decals

Late A66s: 14" Ralleyes, Hood badges

Intermediate A66s: 14" Ralleyes, Hood Decals. Do I have the only not-yet-registered intermediate A66?

Then there's the "V8" fender thing, which I have assumed every A66 got. That would be interesting to map out too.

Mine was delivered to its owner in December 14, 1969. Scheduled build date was November 3rd.

340challconvert

A lot of good discussion here;
6bblgt broke down the tire size change nicely
and nice catch on the credit for the F70-14 tires on the ebay car.
I currently track the only tire code on A66 Registry cars (need a build sheet or Monroney sticker to know hub caps or wheel covers for sure.) I do track if I have a build sheet (currently 12 out of 120 cars in the Registry)

I will add a tracking column for Monroney sheets. I believe I have very few for registered cars.

The Dodge Dealer Data book only indicated the T87 option on the October 20 notice; no mention of wheels with the early 9/23 version specifically listed the 15" rallyes.

per the '70 Dodge "salesman's pocket guide" 9/23/69 version:
CODE A66 - Challenger 340 CID engine package - $258.90
NA Special Edition (29), NA R/T (JS)
15" Rallye wheels (W21) - required at EXTRA cost
collapsable spare (W34) - required at EXTRA cost

"10/20/69:
Effective immediately, F70x14-inch RWL tires (T87) are standard with the 340 Performance Package. The E60x15-inch tires (U82) will be optional at extra cost. The Collapsible Spare (W34) and Rallye Wheels will no longer be required with the 340 Package. A Rear Spoiler in Dull Black (J81) will be available in early November. Effective immediately, Performance Axle Packages A31 and A36 are available with the 340 Package.
=================================================
kawahonda; it would make sense that your November 1969 would have the F70-14 standard tires with a delivery of December 14th. unless otherwise ordered.
My A66 vert had a SPD of October 6 and was delivered on November 17th (I have the 15" rallye wheels.)

Specific to the V-8 fender emblems and decal/metal callouts; I now track that information for each car.  It roughly seems at this point that the cars receiving the V8 emblems coincides with the use of the decals. The metal call outs came out roughly late November/early December and eliminated the need for the V8 emblems. Remember they never planned to initially offer the 340 engine in a Challenger; hence the decals short term. The data so far seems to support this.

Of course the more registrations; the more I can assess this question.

kawahonda

How many 14" wheels + hood decals do you have registered?

Also a curiosity, not so much A66, but it would be interesting if anyone has seen "J" heads on a 340 for a 1970 car. Some people will argue yes, but there has been no proof.