Main Menu

Are there any 'mistakes' you prefer over correctness?

Started by Flatdad, May 21, 2020, 06:24:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Flatdad

There's certain restoration & paint mistakes I think look better than original & would probably do on purpose.

For instance:

For some reason, I really like seeing the upper accent line on '71 R/T tail panels painted argent to set it off instead of all black, as shown in the picture. I also like seeing full painted undercarriages on restorations instead of just oversprayed, blacked out tail panels on 72-74 Challengers, early style bumper brackets on 72-74 cars, unpainted negative battery cables, and really nice cast-iron color finishes on exhaust manifolds rather than overspray.

I also don't mind painted bumpers on E-body's either as long as the rest of the car wasn't done cheaply.

Are there certain mistakes that you like that make the car look better in your opinion?

72 Challenger

1. 72-74 Challenger black on the rear tail panel instead of the argent and black
2. Full painted undercarriages

These two I couldn't agree more.

Here are some more:

I prefer the black painted 1970 Challenger grille vs argent. I like it painted like the T/A was.
I do not like the finish of organisol (spelling on that?) it looks awful correct or not.
All wheel wells should be undercoated. Especially if your car is a light color. It looks odd to me when you have a white car with a white wheel well.

admittedly I am an originality freak so I get why people put them back to factory spec. This is more "if i was building a car" 
Someday I will have a J0b.

Rich G.

I don't like how sloppy the factory put on the seam sealer. Not a big fan of painted neg cable or painted bypass hose on small blocks. As long as everything is neat and clean I'm ok with it.

anlauto

I'll gladly admit that's my mistake in your picture...I had some bad reference material at the time, however I do think it looks better too...
I just assembled this one this week with it "all black"  :)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

I always liked black instead of body color above the rear tailights on the 70 Challengers  :bigthumb:

RUNCHARGER

I generally like shiny surfaces and bigger engines. 100 extra cubes never hurt anyone.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 21, 2020, 07:43:16 AM
like the TA has

I'm on the fence on that one, I think the T/A spoiler makes a difference too... :thinking:

...for comparison
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Chryco Psycho

:bigthumb:
The front grille is deep & black , I believe it looks better with the rear deep & black also . :bigthumb:

kawahonda

1) Painted negative battery cable. Painting over electrical components seems weird.
2) Painted manifolds. If you go through all the trouble to restore them, over-spraying them seems like a waste.
3) Screw-in gas cap. Unless you're driving a Vanishing Point challenger, the flip gas gaps just seal the look for a challenger.
4) Driving around with a blank in the factory clock location when you could have the awesome perfect-fit tach that goes in there.
5) Driving around with 14" Ralleyes when just about any 15" wheel will look more proportional/better.
6) If you don't like the argent grilles, try massaging on some WD-40. You'd be surprised.
7) Placing the trunk decal on straight instead of crooked. It was never "intended" to be crooked, although many were shipped that way (including mine)

That's all I can think of.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Burdar

Dual side mirrors look way better then one single.  I left my Challenger original with just one but my Dart is getting two.

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 21, 2020, 07:55:53 AM
:bigthumb:
The front grille is deep & black , I believe it looks better with the rear deep & black also . :bigthumb:

Looking at the posted pictures, I'm starting to agree with you :unbelievable:

headejm

I can't make myself install new stickers crooked. There was some chance they got put on straight so I just assume my car was one of the lucky ones. With that said, basically all of my original stickers were some sort of crooked.  :looney:

JH27N0B

I'm a stickler for originality, however if I owned an original 4 wheel manual drum car I wasn't restoring to OE gold trailer queen standards, I would have to update it to power disc brakes.  I'd never use one of those jelly bean shaped GM style master cylinders some of the aftermarket brake conversion kits for Mopars have though, a Mopar master cylinder only!
Electronic ignition is a good update too, but need to try to hide the unit not bolt to the upper part of the firewall as is often seen.

Flatdad

I don't know much about the Plymouth side of things, what is commonly incorrect but looks good on cudas/barracudas?