Main Menu

E-Bodies at Barrett-Jackson 2019

Started by benlavigne, January 13, 2019, 07:20:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

benlavigne

I am in Arizona for a few days, went to see the cars that will be for sale next week at Barrett-Jackson, here are some pics:
I counted three bench-seat column-shift 'Cudas, including an R-code, a new trend???

Ben

benlavigne

Convertible A66, listed as ''rebodied''...
A66's are rarer than Hemis, it seems... ;-)
71 440-6 4-speed

Ben

benlavigne

1970 Challengers, very nice 440-6 Shaker and U-code 4-speed.
I personally do not like chrome 1968 Road Wheels on any E-Body...

Ben

RUNCHARGER

Take a heat gun to those white hockey sticks.... Thanks for posting, is that green way off on the Challenger or is the lighting maybe?
Sheldon

pyro273

I was there last year and it was a blast.  Very interested to see how these cars do given what didn't sell at Mecums last week.  One question for the team; did the "HEMI FENDER" tag appear on any other than an R code?  Common sense is "no" but other cars had rolled fenders as well, didn't they?

benlavigne

Another bench-seat 'Cuda, this one a 440-6... description says it has cruise control? Did not think it was available on multi-card engines...
Also there was a display of Craig Jackson's personal cars, including a 70 Hemicuda, but not his Hemicuda convertible...

Ben

benlavigne

72 Challenger 340 with vinyl side molding
Plain-looking 71 Challenger R/T
Go-Mango Hemi convertible clone

Ben

benlavigne

There were a few more, mostly modifieds, etc... so sorry for customs fans, I pass on them...
There is a Friday night cruise in Phoenix at the Pavilions at Talking Stick, a very nice 71 Hemicuda was there for a few minutes...

Ben

benlavigne

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 13, 2019, 07:48:41 AM
Take a heat gun to those white hockey sticks.... Thanks for posting, is that green way off on the Challenger or is the lighting maybe?

It is the lighting, I was discussing this car with Dave Wise and he liked it a lot...

Ben

Cuda Cody

Thanks for sharing!!!!  :woohoo:  Wish I could be there.  Please keep us updated if you see any go across the block.  Curious if there's good bidding in the room on the high end E-Bodies.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Thanks again for posting. It would be hard to waste time sleeping with all those E-bodies there.
Sheldon

Cudino

Quote from: pyro273 on January 13, 2019, 07:51:06 AM
I was there last year and it was a blast.  Very interested to see how these cars do given what didn't sell at Mecums last week.  One question for the team; did the "HEMI FENDER" tag appear on any other than an R code?  Common sense is "no" but other cars had rolled fenders as well, didn't they?
Right, only the Hemis got the Hemi Fender tag, because only Hemi Ebodies got F60-15 tires.  Since the largest tire used on all other Ebodies was E60-15 no fender rolling was necessary.  Fenders started being rolled on Hemi Ebodies around Dec 1969, but the "Hemi Fender" tag wasn't introduced until around March 1970.  So this particular R-code with C08 (Dec 8 1969) SPD shouldn't have that tag at all, which appears to be riveted in place.  My guess is a previous owner of this car saw that his fenders were rolled, and saw that some other Hemi cars had that special tag, and then went out and got/made one for this car.

Some original AARs and TAs are believed to have received rolled fenders, but since those cars ended up using E60s in front the special fenders were not necessary.

- Wade

benlavigne

Quote from: Cudino on January 13, 2019, 10:22:53 AM
Quote from: pyro273 on January 13, 2019, 07:51:06 AM
Right, only the Hemis got the Hemi Fender tag, because only Hemi Ebodies got F60-15 tires.  Since the largest tire used on all other Ebodies was E60-15 no fender rolling was necessary.  Fenders started being rolled on Hemi Ebodies around Dec 1969, but the "Hemi Fender" tag wasn't introduced until around March 1970.  So this particular R-code with C08 (Dec 8 1969) SPD shouldn't have that tag at all, which appears to be riveted in place.  My guess is a previous owner of this car saw that his fenders were rolled, and saw that some other Hemi cars had that special tag, and then went out and got/made one for this car.

Some original AARs and TAs are believed to have received rolled fenders, but since those cars ended up using E60s in front the special fenders were not necessary.

- Wade

Wade, what about the A66 cars? I know the wheelwell moldings were deleted on them because the E60's on Rallye wheels were standard on them, but were the fenders also rolled?

Ben

Cudino

Quote from: benlavigne on January 13, 2019, 10:34:01 AM
Wade, what about the A66 cars? I know the wheelwell moldings were deleted on them because the E60's on Rallye wheels were standard on them, but were the fenders also rolled?

Ben
Great question.  Sorry if this is straying OT, but with E60-15 tires it wouldn't be necessary for A66 cars to get rolled fenders, so I don't believe that was the intention.  Back to the AARs/TAs, a very early concept had them wearing G60s (or larger, I can't quite remember) in front.  I believe that's where the "Trans Am" tag came from, to also specify the special rolled fenders for them.  But the front tires ended up as E60s, so it is unclear now what the purpose of that TA tag was for.  I believe, and this is purely my guess, that some of the earlier Trans Am cars got rolled fenders, before this inventory and concept was quickly phased out.  With that in mind it may be possible that some A66 cars, or even some other Ebodies ordered with the optional E60-15 tires, may have also received the rolled Hemi Fenders as a special case (for example if Chrysler had some extra inventory of them), but no, like other Ebodies ordered with E60s I don't believe A66 cars were planned to get rolled fenders by design.

- Wade

750-h2

The first FC7 Cuda's tag shows that the original colour was EF8. Why someone would paint an R code car in an incorrect colour is beyond me? :looney: