Main Menu

Barrett Jackson TX9 AAR Cuda

Started by kdcarman, January 28, 2023, 07:59:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kdcarman

I am out at Barrett Jackson and bumped into my dream car:

Anyone know this car?

What is the hammer price, considering the T/A went for over $200k?

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1970-PLYMOUTH-CUDA-AAR-262221

@anlauto   

anlauto

I was going to send you a link to it the other night, but I forgot....if I had of known you were going  :yes:

I don't know the car, but it looks real nice in the pictures. :drooling:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kdcarman

Quote from: anlauto on January 28, 2023, 08:52:46 AM
I was going to send you a link to it the other night, but I forgot....if I had of known you were going  :yes:

I don't know the car, but it looks real nice in the pictures. :drooling:

I did look at in person.  Looks pretty nice, seems like an older restoration - engine compartment needs to freshening up.  I did not crawl underneath.  I will do that today when I go back.

What does it bid to?

headejm

@kdcarman Life is too short and getting shorter. If that is your dream car, do everything you can to buy it. No regrets and it will always have value. I consider big purchases that retain value just a redistribution of the money that you have.  :cheers:

With that said...check it out thoroughly before committing.

Cudino

Quote from: headejm on January 28, 2023, 10:16:54 AM
@kdcarman Life is too short and getting shorter. If that is your dream car, do everything you can to buy it. No regrets and it will always have value. I consider big purchases that retain value just a redistribution of the money that you have.  :cheers:

With that said...check it out thoroughly before committing.
Sounds like great advice!  I read in this car's description it has an Elite Wise report.  If that report isn't on display with the car you can go to B-J's property room where you can request to see all the docs that come with this car, and the report should be there too.  Dave Wise is very thorough in his reports.

- Wade

MoparCarGuy

The fender tag for BS23J0B303663.

70_440-6Cuda

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

It's coming up soon, Ken get your wallet out  :fingerscrossed:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

headejm

71vert340

anlauto

kdcarman

Quote from: headejm on January 28, 2023, 08:25:08 PM
Well, what happened??   :lurking:

I did not pull the trigger.  I went back and looked over the car, crawled underneath, etc.  Although a really nice car, it was older restoration, wrong paint on the hood.  I could not justify the cost, although I would have expected the car to bring more then $127k (before fees).  Although if I was the second bidder in the room - the price would have gone over $127k. 

JH27N0B

I'm of the opinion one needs to do pre-auction research or pay an expert to evaluate a car before bidding on it.
Otherwise you're playing a game of Russian roulette bidding based on your own cursory inspection on site.
I talked to an expert named Skip who inspects vintage cars and had some interesting stories.  He talked about a time he was hired by about a half dozen clients to inspect cars, all GMs, at one of the large auctions.
After looking the cars over, he invited them all to dinner at a local steakhouse.  After they all got there, he stood up and announced to them sorry, every one of these cars you're interested in is fake!
In the 80s he'd cut his teeth traveling from his east coast home to the west coast where he'd buy rust free cars, tow them home, and flip.
He was at an auction and spotted a beautiful Chevelle SS. But he recognized it was one of the cars he'd flipped 30 years earlier, but it was a Malibu then!  He informed the auction, but they told him to eff off.
Fortunately he is a good record keeper, so called his wife and had her dig up the records on that car, he took the scans or faxes back to the auction, and only then did they believe him and pull the fake car.
I only was able to talk to Skip for about a half hour, I'm thinking he had enough stories like that I could have talked to him for days!
Don't forget the '71 hemi Challenger on a 70 body at Mecum a few weeks ago. How many collectors who hadn't researched the car beforehand, not on forums like this one where it was "exposed", and walked into Mecum with a pocket full of money hoping to get a deal on a rare car, would have been able to spot the cars issues just looking it over on site there?
I have been searching for a Coronet R/T convertible for a few years.  A couple years ago, a nice one was listed at Mecum. Great looking car, even had AACA badges in the grille showing it judged well with them.
I asked around on forums and Dan responded the N96 and M46 options were added, and the numbers on the block appeared restamped.  I would have seen those options weren't on the tag when personally seeing it at the auction, but I can't get under a car there to see #s.  So without the previous research and fortunately Dan knowing something about the car, I could easily have got screwed on a car that was listed as #s, but that was faked.
It's discouraging trying to buy a car now, it seems like most top cars are sold through auctions, but most of us don't have the knowledge or even opportunity to do a thorough bottom up inspection of potential purchases before bidding. So at best it's Russian roulette, and at worse, it's lambs being led to slaughter.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Quote from: kdcarman on January 29, 2023, 06:32:57 AM
[

I did not pull the trigger.  I went back and looked over the car, crawled underneath, etc.  Although a really nice car, it was older restoration, wrong paint on the hood.  I could not justify the cost, although I would have expected the car to bring more then $127k (before fees).  Although if I was the second bidder in the room - the price would have gone over $127k.

What were you comparing it to, that "other" black Cuda in your garage ? 8)