Main Menu

e-body hood hinges - what's available new? good and/or bad?

Started by 6bblgt, April 10, 2020, 02:11:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

what are current good solutions to replace worn hood hinges?

how are the reproductions?  is there more than one manufacturer?  good and/or bad experiences?

392 Cuda

Very curious what everyone thinks...

I assumed my hinges were shot when the hood wasn't coming down flat all the way (have to push down the top by the windshield), but the same thing happens with my nice new AMD hinges.

anlauto

AMD hinges are not 70 style so the mounting flange is wider. For the 70's I typically send my hinges to Resto-Rick for rebuilding :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

Cuda Cody

Whenever I'm peeking at E-Bodies, the hinges are something I always look at to see if they are correct.  So if you can, try to find a good set of originals.  I bet I have a few sets around if you need me to look.

70/6chall

I'm most likely going to get a couple of raised eyebrows here. But......back several years ago in the attempt to give something, otherwise plain, some bling factor. I know, I know what processed me, I had my hood hinges chrome plated, the chrome to this day after many openings has held up very well. I believe that the chrome process does affect the temper of the steel or in the operation of the hinges themselves. I do have to push down the corners of the hood upon closing it. Damned good thing I have another '70 set waiting to go on when I tire of the flashy ones.
Thanks,   Al

jimynick

A friend owns a local chroming company and I can assure you that chroming the hinges will NOT affect the metallurgy whatsoever. The chrome tanks are about as hot as a hot bath tub and the chrome is also harder than mild steel so if anything, your hinges should wear better than the original non-chromed ones. The bling thing is on you.  :Stirring:   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

Sometimes if you have to "push down" the rear corners of the hood after closing the hood, it can be corrected by adjusting the hood hinges themselves.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

JS29

:iagree: Loosen the rear slightly, and lift up on the hood and tighten. It rotates the hinge on the apron.  :alan2cents: 

Scooter

^^ I'll have to give that a try, I thought it was worn hinges as well and was eyeballing the AMD set. Thanks!

392 Cuda

I appreciate the advice as always!

One thing I noticed with brand new amd hinges and a brand new amd hood... I had to grind down the part of the hinge that is bolted to the hood to get the holes to line up. I likely have to grind further to lower the mounting point and fix my issue.

anlauto

Quote from: 392 Cuda on April 16, 2020, 08:06:45 AM
I appreciate the advice as always!

One thing I noticed with brand new amd hinges and a brand new amd hood... I had to grind down the part of the hinge that is bolted to the hood to get the holes to line up. I likely have to grind further to lower the mounting point and fix my issue.

I had the exact same issue with a Cuda AMD shaker hood and AMD hinges....I had to remove almost a 1/4" along the top edge of the hinge to make them work on the hood. :looney:

anlauto

I was going to put those on a resto-mod I built, but it just wasn't in the budget. They look beautiful :drooling: but  :bigmoney: ouch