Main Menu

Graveyard Cars (and others) Attention to Detail...and the inevitable.

Started by Mopsquad, August 30, 2018, 08:52:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

73_Cuda_4_Me

:thinking:

I actually enjoy driving the 73 more today than I did when I first got it back in '04...

Not only is it a LOT safer to drive from new brakes, tires, belts, u-joints, suspension components, frame fixes, bushing replacements, subtle upgrades, connector corrections, electrical upgrades, and tire, exhaust, interior corrections... but it just plain FEELS better knowing all the weak points have been minimized and all the corrections and improvements were accomplished by me (with a little help from my friends here)... and it just drives and handles so much better as well...

Yes, there's more risk driving today (due to cell phones, IMO), but that risk is the same whether I'm driving the Cuda or my other daily driver. The Cuda is the hands down winner if choosing which one I want to take out today...

Now my better half... different view altogether.... LOL
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Morty426

Very interesting read and I am amazed no one has flamed GYC yet

wldgtx

Quote from: Morty426 on September 15, 2018, 04:31:25 PM

To be completely honest, I know some people really hate the show...  I cannot speak to the quality of the builds, however I will say that I wonder if the critics of the quality reference the older builds vs. the newer builds.
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

303 Mopar

I just took my '69 convertible on a 11 hour drive this weekend to 9000'. Yes things broke, yes we fixed them, and hell yes we had a good time!

As for the show, I love it! There will always be some that nitpick every little thing about the way they restore cars, and Mark gets annoying at times but so do my kids.

Mopsquad

Quote from: 303 Mopar on September 17, 2018, 07:47:28 AM
I just took my '69 convertible on a 11 hour drive this weekend to 9000'. Yes things broke, yes we fixed them, and hell yes we had a good time!

As for the show, I love it! There will always be some that nitpick every little thing about the way they restore cars, and Mark gets annoying at times but so do my kids.

Thats awesome!

As soon as I'm done my EFI and AC on my vert I'm getting one of these and taking my GF cross country.

The Barracuda should be able to handle it

teardrop" border="0

PLUM72

I enjoy the GYC show and the craftsmanship put into these old cars.  Its amazing what can be saved these days.  Makes me think of all the cars I saw in junk yards back in the 1980's, some with desirable combinations.  If some of them were put away back then, but who would have thought...

There is a need for durable coatings that better replicate some of the natural steel finishes, black oxide, etc.  Many want to restore their car as close to OEM as possible, but also drive the cars.  To leave something in a natural finish means flash rust very quickly.  Flat clears might be an option.  Most rattle can paint chips way to easily.  You almost have to be able to mix and spray 2K paint to find a balance for protection and drivability.  The alternative is to powdercoat what you can for durability even if it is not "technically" correct.  But then again base clear paints and perfect panel gaps were never something that came with these cars. 
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

Morty426

Quote from: PLUM72 on September 17, 2018, 08:24:26 AM
I enjoy the GYC show and the craftsmanship put into these old cars.  Its amazing what can be saved these days.  Makes me think of all the cars I saw in junk yards back in the 1980's, some with desirable combinations.  If some of them were put away back then, but who would have thought...

There is a need for durable coatings that better replicate some of the natural steel finishes, black oxide, etc.  Many want to restore their car as close to OEM as possible, but also drive the cars.  To leave something in a natural finish means flash rust very quickly.  Flat clears might be an option.  Most rattle can paint chips way to easily.  You almost have to be able to mix and spray 2K paint to find a balance for protection and drivability.  The alternative is to powdercoat what you can for durability even if it is not "technically" correct.  But then again base clear paints and perfect panel gaps were never something that came with these cars.

Natural finishes can be protected with RPM - works pretty damn good. 

Morty426

Quote from: wldgtx on September 17, 2018, 06:14:43 AM
Quote from: Morty426 on September 15, 2018, 04:31:25 PM

To be completely honest, I know some people really hate the show...  I cannot speak to the quality of the builds, however I will say that I wonder if the critics of the quality reference the older builds vs. the newer builds.

I have only seen the older episodes as I got rid of cable TV about 3 years ago.  I have seen some of the older cars and they are terrible and I have seen one of the newer cars and it was pretty good.  Not OEM but good enough for 99% of the people out there. 

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Morty426

Quote from: anlauto on September 17, 2018, 11:44:15 AM
Quote from: Morty426 on September 17, 2018, 09:56:27 AM

Natural finishes can be protected with RPM - works pretty damn good.

For how long ?

I have parts that I did at least 5 years ago and still holding up but this might also be a condition of where I live.

anlauto

Yea I think there is a lot of variables when it comes the longevity of products like that.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Morty426

Quote from: anlauto on September 17, 2018, 01:42:33 PM
Yea I think there is a lot of variables when it comes the longevity of products like that.  :alan2cents:

Also I use way more than the directions call for

madmax2b

Wish they would give a cost breakdown like Wheeler Dealers does. I love most of the restorations, but I have a feeling some are north of $100K.

Mopsquad

Quote from: madmax2b on September 17, 2018, 03:21:10 PM
Wish they would give a cost breakdown like Wheeler Dealers does. I love most of the restorations, but I have a feeling some are north of $100K.

Yes, I'd love to see the bill too! 

wldgtx

Does anyone else simply watch GYC and other car based shows as an access to TV based entertainment that is not a music, dance, singing, dating, fighting, survival, etc... based competition based show.

I swear my DVR is setup to watch all of these shows,I like some more than others for various reasons, but mostly because they speak to me as a person who loves cars.... and they are NOT fill in the blank got talent.
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National