Main Menu

Graveyard Cars (and others) Attention to Detail...and the inevitable.

Started by Mopsquad, August 30, 2018, 08:52:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopsquad

I think the deadline based car fix it/restoration shows have had their moment.  I guess they served a purpose and did offer some suspense to the show, maybe to attract the non car audience.

Not my cup of noodles anymore.

wldgtx

Quote from: Mopsquad on September 18, 2018, 11:15:08 AM
I think the deadline based car fix it/restoration shows have had their moment.  I guess they served a purpose and did offer some suspense to the show, maybe to attract the non car audience.

I don't like the imposed deadlines either.  What do you watch then?
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

anlauto

I just watched the new one on Netflix, not sure the name, but their "deadlines" were absolutely ridiculous......"we only have a week to build this car"......yea right  :crazytalk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

wldgtx

Quote from: anlauto on September 19, 2018, 04:17:05 AM
I just watched the new one on Netflix, not sure the name, but their "deadlines" were absolutely ridiculous......"we only have a week to build this car"......yea right  :crazytalk:

LOL, I have spent months getting a car ready for paint.

RUNCHARGER

It's just entertainment. I find fault with all the shows but just watch them for fun anyways. GYC is about Mopars so it's fun to watch for that, I mute the dialogue. I would enjoy a show with in depth metal shaping and welding, painting etc. They would not get alot of other viewers though.
The one reality show that is pretty realistic is Highway through hell. I've run the Coq. a few winter seasons and it's just as they show it on T.V. complete with a lot of "drivers" who don't know how or when to put chains on.
Sheldon

Mopsquad

Quote from: wldgtx on September 19, 2018, 03:50:00 AM

I do enjoy Wheeler Dealers and Fantomworks.  WD, has the resale angle as its hook which is fine.  FW, has some overreactive hyperbole from Dan but maybe that's just the way he is.   Both shows are totally enjoyable and informative.

wldgtx

Quote from: Mopsquad on September 19, 2018, 08:08:42 AM

I do enjoy Wheeler Dealers and Fantomworks.  WD, has the resale angle as its hook which is fine.  FW, has some overreactive hyperbole from Dan but maybe that's just the way he is.   Both shows are totally enjoyable and informative.

I find entertainment in them all for varying reasons.  But FW is great because I think they set realistic expectations of restorations when they show the number of days that go by and how long it can take to do the work.  However, you are correct, Dan gets overly excited and creates drama in the weirdest ways.

anlauto

Quote from: wldgtx on September 20, 2018, 05:18:50 AM

I find entertainment in them all for varying reasons.  But FW is great because I think they set realistic expectations of restorations when they show the number of days that go by and how long it can take to do the work.  However, you are correct, Dan gets overly excited and creates drama in the weirdest ways.

At least when you get your car back from FW, you'll know the brakes work.... :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

wldgtx

Quote from: anlauto on September 20, 2018, 06:11:13 AM
Quote from: wldgtx on September 20, 2018, 05:18:50 AM

At least when you get your car back from FW, you'll know the brakes work.... :haha: :haha:

:haha: :haha: :haha: That is true.  Or he will fly to Germany for an off part to complete a build.  Again, silly drama.

RUNCHARGER

The brake thing is kind of silly however I have seen a lot of restored cars that really were not driveable. It's amazing what some of these cars with nice paint jobs are really like under the skin.
Sheldon

autoxcuda

Quote from: Mopsquad on September 17, 2018, 04:42:08 PM
Quote from: madmax2b on September 17, 2018, 03:21:10 PM
Wish they would give a cost breakdown like Wheeler Dealers does. I love most of the restorations, but I have a feeling some are north of $100K.

Yes, I'd love to see the bill too!

The guy with the blue Hemi RR conv wasn't real thrilled with the work. Was interesting seeing it parked next to the 69 Hemi GTX Restorations by Julius restored. I heard the owner wished he went with Julius. And a little less $$ too. Oh well, live and learn.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...