Main Menu

Hood pins?

Started by fireguyfire, September 18, 2019, 04:00:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I'm restoring my 73 Ralleye challenger and I am putting it back into 73 factory spec as close as possible. My car had the front and tailpanel blacked out, and hood pins added at some point in its life.
I love hood pins but they do make the hood look a bit busy as it has the ralleye   hood and factory hood mounted turn signals.
Now would be the time to remove and repair the added pins, but I'm a bit torn on removing them although I know they are not correct on a 73.
If anyone wants to chime in with opinions on whether I should keep them or remove them, I'd be glad to hear them!

Katfish

Keep them, gives a sportier look

RUNCHARGER

Keep them, justify it by knowing they are a secondary safety device to keep the hood closed.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
I would also leave them in  :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

chargerdon

I would keep them, i have them on my 74...   

BUT it doesns't matter what any of us think!!    If YOU like them leave them on, if you dont...remove.   

340challconvert

Personally, I would leave them
Gives the Challenger a sporty look and they do add a measure of safety.
JMO :stayinlane:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

fireguyfire

Cool; looks like I'll be leaving them!

dodj

They are worth at least 10HP...
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Personally I don't like options or colours on cars that never came with them...but with that being said, unless you're doing a 100% stock resto...I say do whatever you like best....at the end of the day, it's your car it should make you happy :stayinlane:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dave73

I just recently added them to mine. Like the look and added safety/peace of mind. Had a buddy have his hood fly open on the highway when the latch failed, not cool

72 Challenger

I am currently shopping around to return the hood on my 1970 Duster back to a stock flat piece. As there is no build sheet I am unsure if there are hood pins on the car but the fenders show no evidence of them ever being there. My plan is to put the original hood back on the car and use the hood on it now with the shotgun hood scoop to drill for hood pins. I can just swap my hood with my mood.  Something like hood pins is easy to return back to stock (no pins) with an AMD hood at any point in the future.

I'm all for originality but this is not destroying the authenticity of a car in my eyes, easily reversible. 

Just like mopar starters. I'm all for originality but the original starters are junk. Put that POS on the shelf and buy a high torque mini-starter.

Build it how you want it
Someday I will have a J0b.

js27

Leave them. My car had them on when I bought it but was not coded for them. When I restored it I left them because I didn't want to bondo up a perfect hood and I thought a R/T should have them.
JS27

JS29

They were standard equipment on a 'cuda and the ralley cluster was optional, they were optional on the challenger R/T and the ralley cluster was standard.   We need a scratching head emoji!

Plumcrazy72

Quote from: JS29 on September 19, 2019, 06:21:12 AM
They were standard equipment on a 'cuda and the ralley cluster was optional, they were optional on the challenger R/T and the ralley cluster was standard.   We need a scratching head emoji!  :huh:

:huh:
1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel

Wayne

Factory hood pins....how kool is that!
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A