Main Menu

Pins in a virgin hood....

Started by ledphoot, May 13, 2018, 10:26:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

Thinking about installing hood pins on the Cuda... Have I lost my mind thinking about drilling holes in a virgin hood???

Cuda Cody

Hood pins are super cool.  But tell us more about the hood.  Is a stock flat hood or is it a rallye hood? 

I've seen a hood come unbuttoned and flip back over the roof.  So as cool as hood pins are they actually have a safety advantage too.

1 Wild R/T

Your choice, personally I prefer the clean lines without extra clutter..

ledphoot

I don't really want to do it. It's the Cuda's bulge hood. I am concerned with it coming up at excessive speed.  ;)

Any thoughts on how to secure it without pins? A small cable lock perhaps?

RusTy/SE

I am in the same situation, only on my original 70 Challenger bulge hood. The Plymouth E-body has that header panel in front in line with the hood but the Challenger has little other than a giant grille recessed and catching air.

I am mostly decided on installing them on my car since it will be driven quite a bit at highway speed. Eventually. One of these days :wrenching: :driving:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach

ZEN357

I'm not sure I could bring myself to drill holes in a virgin hood.

340challconvert

Personally, I like the look and the safety of having hood pins.
Your car would have been coded for the hood pins from the factory, so it you are a numbers; must be original type person- leave it alone.
I drilled and added the hood pins 35 years ago on my original Challenger scooped hood. Never regretted it. 
It really is a matter of personal taste unless you feel IT MUST BE ORIGINAL!

Just a thought; If you decide to drill, don't forget to dab some primer or rust sealing paint on the cut edges of the holes after you drill to prevent it from rusting!
:wrenching:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

anlauto

ALL    factory 1970-71 Cuda hoods had hood pins installed.  :alan2cents:

I would go for it. :banana:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

I like them myself. They look great and are very functional. The best part is that I can leave the meat hook (safety catch) off the hood and not worry about the hood flying up.

340challconvert

Quote from: anlauto on May 14, 2018, 04:58:45 AM
ALL    factory 1970-71 Cuda hoods had hood pins installed.  :alan2cents:

I would go for it. :banana:
Always something new to learn
Did not know hood pins were standard on Cuda hoods!

Since they were standard, I would think they were not on the fender tag like the Challenger when the option was ordered?

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Shane Kelley

J45 Does still show up on the data plate.

ledphoot

I am not an originality purist ;)

This is a '73 'Cuda, so I guess they stopped putting the hood pins as standard after '71.

I may just get a nice little cable lock of some kind and run it through to ensure the hood can't fly open if the latch fails. Like I said, I don't really want to drill the hood, but I can see this car exceeding 100MPH and would hate to have the hood fly open too :)

1 Wild R/T

I've had quite a few E bodies well in excess of 100 MPH, some for extended periods of time.....  When I was younger it was a daily occurrence...I've had hoods dancing but never try to leave the party.....Only car I ever had a hood pop open on was a 65 Mustang & that was at about 40 MPH...

Jim AAR

Quote from: Shane Kelley on May 14, 2018, 09:49:21 AM
J45 Does still show up on the data plate.

Yup  :iagree:............

soundcontrol

Old thread, but I'll ask anyways.
How long are the hood pin cables for a 70 Cuda?