Main Menu

Rad caps - What is the difference?

Started by 72 Challenger, July 21, 2021, 05:36:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at rad caps. What is the difference between a rad cap for a recovery system and a rad cap for a non recovery system? The car this would be going on does not have a coolant bottle just a rubber hose that goes to the ground. I'd assume that is non recovery type?

But honestly, what is the difference in between the caps, they are both 16#? I fail to see how they operate differently.

Thanks!
Someday I will have a J0b.

anlauto

If you flip them over....A recovery system cap has two rubber seals, and a non-recovery system only has one. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72 Challenger

That was quick, Thanks Alan.

Since my set up will just be a pipe tot he ground, I assume non recovery is correct? It's a 1970 Duster 340 is that matters.

72 Challenger

Quote from: anlauto on July 21, 2021, 05:39:28 AM
If you flip them over....A recovery system cap has two rubber seals, and a non-recovery system only has one. :alan2cents:

forgot the @anlauto

but while I am at it, Alan have you ever dealt with National Mo-Parts in Beaverton, Ontario?

anlauto

That's so non-environmentally friendly of you  :foul: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
.....but you are correct.. :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

Quote from: 72 Challenger on July 21, 2021, 05:52:52 AM

but while I am at it, Alan have you ever dealt with National Mo-Parts in Beaverton, Ontario?

YES, I've spent close to $90,000.00 there in the last five years... :o

72 Challenger

Quote from: anlauto on July 21, 2021, 05:56:14 AM

I will take this as a strong recommendation to use them!

anlauto

Quote from: 72 Challenger on July 21, 2021, 10:15:42 AM
Quote from: anlauto on July 21, 2021, 05:56:14 AM

I will take this as a strong recommendation to use them!
When placing an order, make sure they have the item in stock....don't get stuck in "backorder hell". I do that with all vendors actually. :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

Well sh*t fire, save matches I forgot all about that and I bet I bought the wrong cap for my non-recovery '72  :thinking:
@anlauto thanks

Quote from: anlauto on July 21, 2021, 05:39:28 AM

tman

Either cap will work on non recovery sys

Mrbill426

Yeah that does make sense... overthinking  ::)

Quote from: tman on July 21, 2021, 10:47:13 PM
Either cap will work on non recovery sys

Rich G.

The extra gasket on the cap it to create a tight seal so when the cooling system cools down it will suck the coolant out of the recovery bottle and back in the radiator. Where our cars the level is always below the top.

anlauto

Quote from: Rich G. on July 22, 2021, 10:40:58 AM
The extra gasket on the cap it to create a tight seal so when the cooling system cools down it will suck the coolant out of the recovery bottle and back in the radiator. Where our cars the level is always below the top.

Exactly :bigthumb: