Previous topic Next topic

E74cuda

'70 hemicudas in FE5 red can't be beat.

Cuda Cody

fc7cuda

RzeroB

Quote from: E74cuda on September 24, 2017, 09:32:18 AM
'70 hemicudas in FE5 red can't be beat.

:iagree:  Isn't too many things better than that!!

Rallye Red with a white interior is kind of rare. I know of only two such cars and neither one of them have the Elastomeric bumpers. So now I know of three ...

E74cuda I assume this Rallye Red beauty is yours?? You just can't just throw it up there without telling us more about it. Please, do tell ...  :popcorn:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

750-h2

This red Cuda might be Lonnie Leigh's car [manager of Performance Improvements in Oshawa Ont].  He has owned it since he was a kid.  :bigthumb: 

E74cuda

The red hemicuda is a car that I first heard about in the early 80's. A local collector got it in Nevada and brought it to the Sacramento CA area. From what I have gathered it was used like a 4.10 dana automatic was meant to be used. The guy had someone do a lite restoration, basically paint and changed the interior to black. The body has all of the original sheet metal with some lower rear quarter work because of clogged drains. It was sold within a few years to a guy that lived close to me at the time. He did some work to it and took it to local car shows and even the Car Craft Street Machine Nationals in Sacramento at the time. He owned it for about 15 years and after an engine compartment fire he sold it to me around 1999 with around 48k miles on it. I collected parts for about ten years, things like the correct alternator, starter, fan, fan clutch, master cylinder, dated wheels and other items. When I got it had the correct factory carbs, exhaust manifolds, distributor, valve covers, radiator, brake booster assembly and more. I had the paint and body redone then kind of stalled on it. Several years went by and I found someone to assemble the car after having the engine which is a '70 warranty hemi, original trans and dana redone. A buddy of mine (Earl Ortiz) tuned it and took care of a bunch of other issues to get it dialed in. It's an October 13, 1969 build FE5 red, H6XW white interior with the A22 bumper package, A32 Super Performance Axle Package, A62 rallye gauges, C55 buckets, C16 console, R11 AM radio and a few more things.   

Cuda Cody

750-h2

Very nice car! Lonnie has a twin to yours but I am pretty sure its a 4 speed.

RzeroB

Our next car was the first '70 HemiCuda built for sale in Canada  :canada:  That car was BS23R0B111658 and it was sold new out of St Felix de Kingsey Quebec.

Per Gilbert Ramsay of "Vintage 1970-4 Barracuda & Challenger Pictures" facebook page, this car was originally a FE5 Rallye-Red, V1X black vinyl top with V6X hockey stick stripes, and a H6X9 black interior automatic car. He says the car also had the A22 Elastomeric Bumpers Package, A62 Rallye Gauges Package, C16 Center Console and a M91 Luggage Rack among other things.

In the mid '70's Gilbert's friend bought the car and did a little "customizing" to it. He changed the color to green and performed a couple of other custom modifications to it as can be seen in this picture.

Note the added "duck-tail" spoiler, mud flaps, extended leaf spring shackles, protruding exhaust tips and the "double" hockey stick stripes! Hey, it was the '70's so this is relatively mild compared to some of the more "creative" 'customs that came out of that era! Here is a better picture of the front hockey stick stripe, although it is in black and white.

Interesting double hockey stick stripe treatment isn't it? Anyway, according to Gilbert, at some later point (he doesn't say when) the car was eventually re-purchased by the original owner, restored back to original, and the two of them are together again living happily ever after.  :woohoo:  Unfortunately these are the only two pics of this car that I have. It would be great to see it restored back to it's glossy Rallye-Red glory, so if you have some pics of this car post 'em up!  :thankyou:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

RzeroB

Fall ... a great time of year ... perhaps my favorite time of year. Fall was also a great time for Hemi E-body production. From the information that I have, more Hemi E-bodies were made in October and November 1969 than in any other months of Hemi E-body production.  :yes:

A lot of beauties to choose from, but given it's impeccable pedigree, we're going to kick off fall Hemi-fest with this '70 HemiCuda BS23R0B146640.

Scheduled to be built on the banner Hemi E-body production day of October 6th (A06), BS23R0B146640 is 1 of only 652 1970 HemiCuda's made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 284 with a 4 speed. It is finished in FE5 Rallye-Red with V6X black "Hockey Stick" stripes, a V1X black vinyl top and a H6X9 black vinyl interior.

146640 is a "two tag car" just loaded up with great options to include the A01 Light Group Pkg, A22 Elastomeric Bumpers Pkg, A33 Track Pack Pkg, A62 Rallye Gauges Pkg, B51 Power Disc Brakes, C16 Center Console, C62 Six-Way Seat and the thumping A22 AM/8-Track Radio among other things. All those nice options pushed the MSRP on the window sticker of this beauty up to $5,361.

This Rallye-Red rocket was sold new through Fair Chrysler Plymouth in good old Sacramento California (lived there for four years - loved it!). Fair Chrysler Plymouth had the dubious honor of selling this baby twice, as the original owner defaulted on it and the car was repossessed in only a matter of months! It didn't sit on the lot long as in November of 1970 Andy Farrar struck a deal for the HemiCuda and took it home for only $3,627 - 32% less than what it had sold for new earlier that year!

146640 is an original "Hockey Stick" stripe (V6X) car. Who doesn't like "Hockey Stick" stripes? Andy didn't. The "Hockey Stick" stripes emblazoned with "HEMI" across the quarter panel and "hemicuda" on the Shaker bubble were keeping Andy from seeing any action on the street. So Andy employed a bit of skulduggery by removing the "Hockey Stick" stripes from the quarter panels and replacing the "hemicuda" emblems on the Shaker bubble with a less threatening "cuda383" ones. Pretty sly that Andy was! Andy drove the car that way until the late 1980's at which point he placed the car into long-term storage. 20 years later, in 2008, Andy decided it was time to let the car go and in 2009 the HemiCuda left it's owner of 38 years for a new home.

146640 has a great pedigree. It is a complete numbers matching car still having all of it's original driveline. Also, having spent almost all of it's years in the nice Sacramento climate, it still retains all of it's original sheetmetal as well. But wait, there's more! This Rallye-Red beauty is fully documented to include: it's original window sticker, broadcast sheet, fender tag, dealer sales documents, factory warranty booklet and full ownership history! Pretty darn cool and a great start to Fall Hemi-fest!   :banana:

Cheers!
Tom

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RzeroB

October 6th. It was a banner day for Hemi E-body production at Hamtramck. I have 30 HemiCudas, including a block of 10 Canadian spec cars, being built that day - more than any other day that I have recorded. Of course my notes are not all inclusive and there very well be another day that saw more Hemi cars produced. For now it is #1 in my notes and it would have been a great day to have taken a guided tour of the plant!  :wowzers:  So here are six cars that were scheduled to be built on October sixth - six for the sixth!  :banana:

1.  BS27R0B146711: 1 of only 14 made for the U.S. market and of those, 1 of 5 with a 4-speed. It is finished in FC7 In-Violet with a H6X9 black interior and a V3X black convertible top.

Owned by Dave Blake, 146711 made it's post-restoration debut at the Hemi E-Body convertible invitational at the 2015 MCACN show in Chicago. If you were lucky enough to have made the show you got to see it's unveiling, if you didn't make it, you missed an almost surreal experience.

Dave Blake's display placard details how the car's original owner ordered the car for maximum performance! Also interesting is how the car had been off the road since 1972. According to Dave Blake, the restoration on the car was not completed and put back together until just one week before the 2015 MCACN show.

2.  BS23R0B146721: 1 of only 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 284 with a 4-speed. It is finished in EK2 Vitamin-C with V6X black "Hockey Stick" stripes and a H6X9 black vinyl interior. Like Dave Blake's convertible, this is a minimally equipped, yet purpose built, car. Other than the Hemi and the 4-speed, the only extra cost options on this car are: a) A34 Super-Track-Pack 4:10 geared Dana Axle Package, b) EK2 High-Impact Vitamin-C paint, and c) the thumping R11 AM radio - that's it.

Neat shot - the black tail panel, hockey stick stripes and tires contrast nicely with the High-Impact Vitamin-C paint. This a very sharp looking car. I do not know who the lucky owner now is, but if you do, let us know.

3.  BS23R0B146663: 1 of only 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 284 with a 4 speed. It is finished in EV2 Tor-Red with V6X black "Hockey Stick" stripes and a H6X9 black vinyl interior. This picture was obviously taken when the car stayed at Greg Nelson's "Mopar Ponderosa" for a while. I don't know much about this car, but with the mirrors surrounding it, I would assume that it must be totally restored inside, outside, top and bottom. Nor do I know with whom, or where the car went to after it left the Ponderosa.

This is the only pic of this car that I have. Unfortunately in this pic it has to share the spotlight with Greg's Curious-Yellow 440-6 '71 Cuda convertible which steals a lot of the HemiCuda's thunder! What a pair of Cuda's to have in your garage!

4,  BS23R0B146552: 1 of only 652 made for the U.S. market, and of those 1 of 368 with an automatic. It is finished in FE5 Rallye-Red with V6X black "Hockey Stick" stripes and a H6X9 black vinyl interior. This HemiCuda is a bit of an oddball ...

This HemiCuda is equipped with the standard dash and a column-shift automatic. It still surprises me just how many of these Hemi cars came with the column-shifted auto? Well at least the original owner put the A32 Super-Performance 4:10 geared Dana Axle Package behind the column-shifted auto when they ordered the car. This Rallye-Red rocket was (is?) for sale at Ray Skillman's Classic Cars in Indianapolis IN.

5.  BS23R0B146416:  I do not know much of anything about this car other than the VIN is listed as one of the Canadian spec cars sold new in Kingston Ontario, and old Moparts post that refers to it as being FC7 In-Violet in color, and this ad for the engine that was posted on Cars-On-Line dot com

$50 G's just for the engine ... and we don't even know if the car is still out there?? From the ad it appears that "Larry" looked for the matching car for a while and has given up on trying to find it. Is it still out there somewhere - does anybody know??

6.  And for our Grand Finale we have non other than BS23R0B146694, aka the "Warlock", which now belongs to our "Godfather" Cody Reich  :worship:

The "Warlock" is a former SS/DA car that Cody picked up a couple of years ago. On "the other website" Cody said he was going to do a complete restoration on the "Warlock" and bring it back to original factory specs. With that, maybe we can get an update on how how Cody and his "team" (Jen and the pups) are coming along with the project?? Take it away Cody!!  :bravo:

Cheers!
Tom

fc7cuda

146659 is also an A06 build car.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

Our finest member @mccannix knows all about BS23R0B146416 .....maybe he'll chime in ? Might even have a picture ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RzeroB

Last call for 146416 and 146694 ... last call ...  :drinkingbud:

Was hoping to hear from @mccannix on 146416 ...

And @Cuda Cody on 146694 ...

Thanks!!  :cheers:
Cheers!
Tom