Main Menu

1970 Challenger Questions

Started by jcbruce, February 23, 2021, 06:10:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jcbruce

Hi All -

Two quick questions;
1) Hood locks were NOT OEM, correct?  (such a common feature I was just wondering)
2) What types of rims came on a stock 1970 Challenger?  Were there several to choose from, or just one?

Thanks

71383bee

Do you mean hood pins?  If so yes they were an option on R/T, standard on the T/A and option for 340 sport package.

Rims came in 14 inch or 15 inch sizes and were dependent upon engine size and package. Standard was typically steel with the dog dish it there were at least 3 other types of hub caps or optional rallye wheels or road wheels. There were a lot of options.

You should look at the sales materials from dodge that are on the hamtramck historical site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

anlauto

Quote from: 71383bee on February 23, 2021, 06:32:55 PM

You should look at the sales materials from dodge that are on the hamtramck historical site.

Why the heck would you go anywhere else? We have all the information you'll ever need right here on our Main Site :twothumbsup:

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/data-books-salesman-pocket-facts-color-upholstery-guides/1970-dodge-data-book/1970-dodge-data-book-challenger/
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jcbruce

Thank you, that is so freekin' cool!!  I love this stuff.  I will be digesting it for a little while but thanks again, just what I was asking.

318Stroker

Do you mean hood pins?  If so yes they were an option on R/T, standard on the T/A and option for 340 sport package.

Rims came in 14 inch or 15 inch sizes and were dependent upon engine size and package. Standard was typically steel with the dog dish it there were at least 3 other types of hub caps or optional rallye wheels or road wheels. There were a lot of options.

According to my dealer coding guide, they were available on all Challengers, not just the R/T and T/A.

7E-Bodies

@jcbruce you've definitely come to the right place as there are some very well informed people here with some amazing cars. Welcome aboard.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

71383bee

Quote from: anlauto on February 23, 2021, 06:51:58 PM

Why the heck would you go anywhere else? We have all the information you'll ever need right here on our Main Site :twothumbsup:

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/data-books-salesman-pocket-facts-color-upholstery-guides/1970-dodge-data-book/1970-dodge-data-book-challenger/

Good point Alan I admit that I haven't thoroughly mined the resources here. 

71383bee

Quote from: 318Stroker on February 24, 2021, 08:36:00 AM

According to my dealer coding guide, they were available on all Challengers, not just the R/T and T/A.

True.. an interesting follow-up is has anyone ever seen a non-performance packaged car with the factory installed pins that was confirmed to be an option?  I agree that the option book was a bit limitless and i would not be surprised that several would be made.  Its like the 4 speed 318 cars or rallye dash equipped cars. 

Another interesting option that came up on facebook was regarding the flip top gas cap.  I cant seem to find literature that "confirmed" it was standard on R/T or other HP cars and how it was optioned.  Locking gas cap was an option but I cent seem to find much on the flip top.  For most of us these items seems common and almost "standard" as we seek out the higher HP built cars and we are quite used to seeing them but stepping back into the 70's its a different view when looking at a mass produced car that the majority built were non-HP variants.  Pretty groovy man when you think about it!   :thinking:

318Stroker

Again, according to the dealer coding guide, the fiip-top cap was not standard on an R/T. It was optional on all 70 Challengers. I've seen more than one R/T in the car mags that didn't have the cap.

Skdmark

My 71 R/T was a painted gas cap car. Very popular later add-on to make. Just like adding dual side view mirrors to a single mirror car.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

Quote from: 318Stroker on February 26, 2021, 12:18:09 PM
Again, according to the dealer coding guide, the fiip-top cap was not standard on an R/T. It was optional on all 70 Challengers. I've seen more than one R/T in the car mags that didn't have the cap.

I think very few cars were actually ordered with the Flip-Top cap  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration