Main Menu

What did you do with your ebody/Mopar today?

Started by Brads70, March 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

Quote from: 71-440 on September 11, 2019, 12:03:53 PM
Had to borrow a impact wrench from a buddy to get the crank bolt out of the damper.

Now any suggestions on getting the damper off? Wheel puller? :notsure:
A harmonic balancer/ steering wheel puller.  :alan2cents:

71-440

Quote from: JS29 on September 11, 2019, 12:15:43 PM
Quote from: 71-440 on September 11, 2019, 12:03:53 PM
Had to borrow a impact wrench from a buddy to get the crank bolt out of the damper.

Now any suggestions on getting the damper off? Wheel puller? :notsure:
A harmonic balancer/ steering wheel puller.  :alan2cents:

Do I pull from the outside diameter of the balancer or pull from the pulley bolts?
Joe

JS29

through the threaded holes. if you put jaws around the out side of it, you would damage the pulley. the outer ring is mounted in rubber. there is an attachment you use on the center bolt as to not damage the threads on the crank.

71-440

Quote from: JS29 on September 11, 2019, 12:43:43 PM
through the threaded holes. if you put jaws around the out side of it, you would damage the pulley. the outer ring is mounted in rubber. there is an attachment you use on the center bolt as to not damage the threads on the crank.

Great Thanks for the help! :bigthumb:
Joe

Chryco Psycho

YellowThumper

Definately don't pull from outside.
Use the bolts. Kits like this can be purchased or rented from local auto parts source.
Most times I have needed to reinstall the crank bolt as its hole is huge. Remove thick washer screw it in semi close to balancer. You will get 3 puller bolts out of 6 available in balancer. I dont recommend only using 2. Back it out up to main bolt head. Release and back out bolt more and pull again some more. Repeat as necessary.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: dodj on September 11, 2019, 04:59:01 AM
Quote from: CudaMoparRay on September 10, 2019, 03:27:55 PM
Just looked and admired my 'Cuda next to my other baby in the garage  :inlove:  :rofl:
What is the other baby? A Stealth?

1996 3000GT VR4 Mitsubishi big brother to Dodge Stealth

71-440

Quote from: YellowThumper on September 11, 2019, 02:30:10 PM
Use the bolts. Kits like this can be purchased or rented from local auto parts source.
Most times I have needed to reinstall the crank bolt as its hole is huge. Remove thick washer screw it in semi close to balancer. You will get 3 puller bolts out of 6 available in balancer. I dont recommend only using 2. Back it out up to main bolt head. Release and back out bolt more and pull again some more. Repeat as necessary.

I have a kit similar top that one and left the crank bolt in about 3/4 without the washer. That bad boy won't budge.
I am afraid I am going to strip out the pulley threads. Used 4 of them. I had a breaker bar in there too to keep the crank from turning.  :Thud:
Joe

YellowThumper

Thinking out loud. I assume using a torch on it. To expand diameter to help loosen it. Would have to be hot and fast then cooled down before rubber gets affected.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

I have read of cheaper made pullers breaking, this Proform looks to be meatier .
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66514/

Also try melting candle wax into the space.

Cudajason

Quote from: 71-440 on September 11, 2019, 07:06:11 PM

I have a kit similar top that one and left the crank bolt in about 3/4 without the washer. That bad boy won't budge.
I am afraid I am going to strip out the pulley threads. Used 4 of them. I had a breaker bar in there too to keep the crank from turning.  :Thud:

you mean you tried to pull it with the Crank pulling still threaded in?

I always remove mine completely.

I do not think heating it is a good idea.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

Put the 'Challenger' emblem on the grille
A lot of forum member's parts are in that grille!
Grille from @RUNCHARGER  (He also sold me headlight bezels but they are so nice I'm not sure I want to paint them black)
Headlight bezels from @js27
70-71 headlight fender mounting brackets from @72bluNblu
Standoff brackets from @70 Challenger Lover ....graciously sent for free!
Emblem from @MoparDave
Thank you all for your assistance!  :drinkingbud:

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

js27

ec_co

engine and tranny are out!! starting to prep the engine bay for going out for metal work in a couple weeks

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Cudajason on September 12, 2019, 07:09:58 AM
Quote from: 71-440 on September 11, 2019, 07:06:11 PM

you mean you tried to pull it with the Crank pulling still threaded in?

I always remove mine completely.

I do not think heating it is a good idea.

Jason

:iagree: I'd take the crank bolt out completely before trying to use the puller.