Main Menu

What did you do with your ebody/Mopar today?

Started by Brads70, March 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

Today went to dinner with my bowling team in anticipation of bowling this year . . Convertible ran pretty good! 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

jimynick

I got the header installed and then polished and installed 3 out of 4 markers, got the frt park lights re-bulb'd and installed, sprayed the rad support and rad core again and started to re-string the frt end wiring. Now, if I could only find the head light buckets, mounting panels and retaining rings and the sealed beams, I'd be in better shape! It's amazing how much time you can piss away simply wire wheeling bolts and brackets and then painting them! Drove around and found 6 SS screws to hold the frt valance panel mldg on and dug out the plastic filler that also goes on the frt lwr valance on a '74. dug out the inner fender splash shields and will get the old undercoat off them. Now to find the big washer headed screws that hold them on! I've got 20+ days to get this thing on the road for son Jim's wedding and it's looking like I'll need every damn one of them!  :thinking:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

jimynick

An update! Son Nick and I worked for 4 days on the old gal last weekend and now we've got the glass and interior in; due to Nicky! I thought I was working with my late and lamented dad, as Nick proved that not only could he hold his own in the assembly department, but that he could also swear in a descriptive and enthusiastic fashion, that the old man imparted to me, lo these many decades ago! LOL I found the headlight gear and after wire brushing and painting it all, about a day later also found the package of brand new ones that I'd thoughtfully purchased just so that I wouldn't HAVE to buff and paint the old ones! Grrrrrr! Hours and hours of sanding, taping and painting the tail lights until I remembered that we have a sandblaster upstairs and then things took a turn for the better! Sheesh! Both boys put on the new wheel well opening mldgs and we got both valences on as well. Yesterday I installed the t/l's (after also painting their interior portions) and after searching all over Hell's half acre, finally had an epiphany and used a can of trunk paint (Roxotone for the cognoscenti) for texture. Today I fogged on some silver paint and then metal flaked the whole schmeer and it turned out better than I'd thought possible! The list of "to do" things is shrinking and I also got the new licence sticker, so pretty soon the old gal and I are going on a "date" which will also serve as a shakedown cruise for son Jim's upcoming wedding next week; where he figured it'd be a nice thing to use dad's Challenger for a wedding car. "No pressure dad!" God help me!!!  :wrenching:

Cuda70-74

Installed hyundai tiburon seats in
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

jimynick

It LIVES!! I took the old gal out for a wee run and it seemed to go well. I got the body plugs I got from Alan, in and the Fineline tape off the t/lamps reasonably well. I thought I'd grab some chicken nuggets at Burger King and while eating them, the guy next to me asked me three times if I wanted to sell the car, and then he asked if I should take his name and # in case I changed my mind. LOL I made it over to Cudajason's and we kibitzed about his heating issues. I washed the old gal off and discovered that the swine who run the wash, use hard water, and the 10,000 water spots required a trip to CTC for a chamois- a word the 20 something girl I asked for them, didn't have a clue as to what it was. Upon turning on the wipers, they worked well- until you went to shut them off and then there was a brief intermezzo of swearing. Luckily for me, son Nick came over and we figured out that the switch didn't have a good ground and wouldn't allow the motor to park. Nick added a ground and we re-adjusted the chrome lower w/s mldg and it works like it's supposed to! It's great gettin' old, ain't it?! :cheers:

Chryco Psycho

I would recommend a good ceramic coating over the black paint to protect it .

Brads70

@jimynick
Ian we are going to need to see some pictures please!  :wowzers:

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on August 28, 2021, 05:18:50 AM
@jimynick
Ian we are going to need to see some pictures please!  :wowzers:

Guess who visited me!!!

@jimynick has not lost his touch...the car looks amazing Ian!!!
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

700 AKN

I see some blood on the fender and sweat on the hood, but man... oh man does that car look good.
You and your boy's did an excellent job.  Congrats!!

:woohoo:

Brads70

Very nice Ian! Lots of tough work and many hours!  :bravo: :veryexcited:

anlauto

I liked it better flat black  :haha: :haha: Just kidding....looks fantastic Ian.. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments! As 700AKM said, there likely IS a dab or twenty of blood and several gallons of sweat involved in the old gal, that's for sure! She's not perfect, but she's good enough for me, and hopefully son Jim likes it as his wedding car in the next few days. Nick and I thrashed on it a bit more today and I performed the ceremonial task of re-installing the fender tags as well as aiming the headlights and installing the new h/l bezels. I put in the new engine call-out plates in the hood and Nicky installed the antenna, which is mostly a display piece, but does work. I didn't buy and rebuild this car to listen to it's radio. LOL! Other than the fender louvers and stripes, I think she's pretty much good to go- bodywise. NOW there's that block on the engine stand and stroker kit laying upstairs to get going on. I've got a ton of photos of the build, but not having an I-phone (just an old Blackberry) has stymied my attempts to start that thread. I'll talk to my boys and see if they can drag the old man into the modern world- at least phone-wise! LOL Thanks again boys!  :bigthumb:

blown motor

Went out for a little run with some friends and then some el fresco dining.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cudajason

Took my son for a hair cut and afterwards he said, can we go for a drvie.  I am on vacation this week so off we went for a 50 mil cruise on mostly 2 lane roads.

beauty morning for it too!

:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :stayinlane: :stayinlane: :stayinlane: :stayinlane:
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

71383bee

Took his and hers out to a local show this weekend.  Other than some complaints from my wife over manual drum brakes and getting caught in a rain storm it was a fun little excursion! 

73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top