Main Menu

What did you do with your ebody/Mopar today?

Started by Brads70, March 21, 2017, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Moving slowly along on small details.
Finally got a resemblance of a cam signal. Now to research why the high and lows are not even.
The upper line should have an even high and low pattern.
 "off" is only a spike.
Crank signal is strong.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Dmod1974

Quote from: YellowThumper on August 17, 2024, 09:33:44 PMMoving slowly along on small details.
Finally got a resemblance of a cam signal. Now to research why the high and lows are not even.
 "off" is only a spike.
Crank signal is strong.

I'm assuming you are running a Jeep 4.0 CMP sensor with an adapter?  That's a half moon tone wheel with a Hall sensor so I agree that is a really odd pattern.

I ran a similar setup on my 408 stroker MS3 build.  I don't remember if that sensor has an open collector or not, but you may want to try installing (or removing if you already have one soldered in) a pull up resistor to see if it gives you a clean trigger.  Depending on what it needs it could keep the voltage from reliably switching high and low if the rest of the circuit isn't set up correctly.

Lastly, I assume you are powering it with 5v VREF AND the dedicated sensor ground from the Megasquirt and not a separate ground?

Racer57

Have had issues with clutch. Decided to get hyd system. Already had Tremec 3450 which is an 1980s version that just barely meets my 383s requirements. Decided the hell with it, if going to do it, do it right. Called Silver Sport Transmission. Took car today to Local shop that is going to install new Tremec TKX, hyd clutch, new diaphragm pressure plate, clutch, flywheel and pilot bearing.  :burnout:

I could've done everything myself and was looking forward to it, but at 70 yrs old, I decided (with Wifes urging) to let someone else do it.  :takemymoney: 

YellowThumper

Quote from: Dmod1974 on August 18, 2024, 09:08:47 AM
Quote from: YellowThumper on August 17, 2024, 09:33:44 PMMoving slowly along on small details.
 "off" is only a spike.
Crank signal is strong.

I'm assuming you are running a Jeep 4.0 CMP sensor with an adapter?  That's a half moon tone wheel with a Hall sensor so I agree that is a really odd pattern.

I ran a similar setup on my 408 stroker MS3 build.  I don't remember if that sensor has an open collector or not, but you may want to try installing (or removing if you already have one soldered in) a pull up resistor to see if it gives you a clean trigger.  Depending on what it needs it could keep the voltage from reliably switching high and low if the rest of the circuit isn't set up correctly.

Lastly, I assume you are powering it with 5v VREF AND the dedicated sensor ground from the Megasquirt and not a separate ground?
Yes on the 5v. Yes on the dedicated ground.
I was previously not able to generate a signal so the resistor was added.
Someone else on another forum reached out about settings for secondary sensor. "Going high/going low and another I don't recall right now.
He has pro setup so I may not have same options.
Will check that first.
If no, I can remove resistor and try again.
Signal found by making numerous pot adjustments with car running.
Thanks for the advice. This is now my singular focus. It's gonna work or it will become trash.
Just prefer not to spend a couple K on another setup. Plenty of other update items in need.

Mike.

Dmod1974

No reason it shouldn't work once it's set up correctly.  I had a Megasquirt 3 w/ MS3X expansion board and a Jeep CMP sensor that I ran in full sequential fuel/ignition for 5 years before restoring my car and putting a Hellcrate in it.

What is your exact hardware setup?  Is it a Jeep CMP sensor?  Are you running a full MS3X setup?  Is it the 3.0 or 3.57 board?  I did not have to spend any amount of time messing with the pots.  I just followed the manual baseline instructions (both full counter clockwise and then R11 clockwise 3 full turns).  The only thing I don't remember is if JP7 was jumpered or not (pull up resistor enabled or not).  Also worth noting, I powered my crank AND cam sensors with 12v instead of 5v.

YellowThumper

@Dmod1974
Yes the Jeep sensor. Original setup was Ford explorer 2 wire.
3.57 board.
LS truck coils. These have been working now for ~10 years. And a carburetor.
Have read of others using 12v. But have also read about them burning out.
Will send you a pm.

Mike.

Brads70

Went to another local cruise nite. Had fun meet more people and cars that I haven't seen before. Met a guy with a really nice 71 Cuda 340 billboards. Owned it for 47 years he said.

blown motor

Yesterday I drove the Macho Power Wagon 200 miles from my home in Ontario to Rochester, NY and went to a car show last night. It was a cool cloudy day with a couple small isolated showers in the area late afternoon so the turnout was small. The truck got 12 mpg (US gal) on the trip. The 440 likes gas.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

at another local show.... a few mopars here

blown motor

Had a good afternoon running around with a couple buddies.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Brads70

I went to a local small show, there was only 40 cars there  I was surprised  to see so many Mopars out in such a small community  type show.

Brads70

more pictures....