Main Menu

Sunroof R/T on ebay

Started by EV2RTSE, August 28, 2018, 08:10:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Fern

He states that he misplaced the registration and the dash vin is missing.
Kind of a red flag, along with the engine stamping.
If he dosent have a title, can it be registered?

ratroaster

Probably not without a VIN tag. At least in my state you would have to apply for a new title upon inspection from the DOT.  If it doesn't pass DOT inspection you would be issued a new vin #.  Without a VIN tag I highly doubt it passes inspection. :alan2cents:

realn96

Yes it can be registered  Here in NY the old cars don't have a title. We only have a transferable registration.. With It being off the road so long You can just say its lost and It can happen.. If I was him  , I would get the registration,  then sell the car..And as far as an inspection , You don't need one until you go to drive it. So by then the car will be done. That's what I did. First thing I did was register and insure the car before I did the complete resto. God forbid the garage goes up in flames..At least it was fully covered.

ratroaster

I understand what you are saying but part of the DOT inspection is to make sure the car is not stolen.  You wouldn't want the car seized after an expensive restoration.  I ran into this bringing a 68 Charger home from Canada that needed a title. They don't have titles in Canada either but I had to apply for one upon DOT inspection. :alan2cents:

JS29

@realn96  you have to have an etching of the VIN or A state trooper verify on paper with A state police letter head of the VIN. I went through it A few times. so if the only thing that is there is the door sticker you would have to go the police route.  :alan2cents:

realn96

Quote from: ratroaster on August 28, 2018, 03:30:35 PM
I understand what you are saying but part of the DOT inspection is to make sure the car is not stolen.  You wouldn't want the car seized after an expensive restoration.  I ran into this bringing a 68 Charger home from Canada that needed a title. They don't have titles in Canada either but I had to apply for one upon DOT inspection. :alan2cents:

Ok I see what your saying!Here In NY that might apply to newer cars, But not cars with transferable reggies!  Not that I ever heard of I should say

JS29

Quote from: realn96 on August 28, 2018, 03:42:02 PM
Quote from: ratroaster on August 28, 2018, 03:30:35 PM

Ok I see what your saying!Here In NY that might apply to newer cars, But not cars with transferable reggies!  Not that I ever heard of I should say
No that is what I am talking about, the state wants to verify that it is indeed that car. you are correct that it is much easier when you are dealing with A 1972 and older. but they still want to know that is the car you are dealing with and not just switching #

anlauto

As for the engine number stamping.....Dan has the most educated and respected opinion on the matter with his vast knowledge of everything number related, however it's just that....an opinion....Many of us here may or may not share the same opinion, but the one thing we all have in common is the fact that we were unable to walk beside this car for the last 48 years, none of us can say for 100% certain how, where or when that motor got stamped.

It could have happened at the assembly plant, some sort or messed up second attempt, maybe to fix a missed first attempt ?
It could be a warranty block stamped at a dealer ?
It could have been stamped years later by the "speed shop" that built the motor ?
It could have been done by the owner, lying on his back in the driveway ?

Fact of the matter is....no one can be 100% certain.

What is 100% certain now, is that the number on the block matches the car as advertised.  :dunno:

If this was a fully restored six figure car with that number, then maybe I'd be more convinced someone was up to no good, but when I see that on a basket case project where it adds little value to the asking price....I tend to believe it was not done for profit in my opinion.

I'd be more confused over the fact the engine is blue, but again....48 years has gone by, the engine is modified, so the "speed shop" could have hot tanked the original paint off and painted it blue for shits and giggles, who knows?

As for the VIN dash tag....AG Backeast will make a new one, no problem with proper documentation. The current seller should have done this before advertising it. One could wonder if the car is legal ? 

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Been thinking a lot about this car since I first saw it at lunch today....

It's certainly odd compared to the other four 70 sunroof Challengers I'm restoring....Odd because of the lack of options....most of the others were loaded down with options, but this one has very few as pointed out....

I know @bpsmopar would have a very hard time not wanting to add options to this one, but if I had my way....this would be a "by the sheet" resto, drums brakes and all !

I think it would look sweet with no stripes and 15" rally wheels....Bright white top and white interior... :drooling:

(this one is pretty close, just missing the white interior and hood stripe)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mymcodebee

bpsmopar

I know @bpsmopar would have a very hard time not wanting to add options to this one, but if I had my way....this would be a "by the sheet" resto, drums brakes and all !

Maybe a V6W......... :pokeeye:

anlauto

What do you think it will get bid up to ?

bpsmopar

It'll need alot of sheet metal, frame rails, doors? pans no doubt. I'm betting the reserve is around 15k
but it should be bought for around 10K to end up at a reasonable investment.

6bblgt

per the b'cast & by my calculations the subject car was "In Plant/In Process" mid-October (I need more line #2 cars' info) right around when the engine was final assembled 10/16, so I guess it's possible that engine was "In Plant" when the car was built but the paint would've been still wet  :huh:

find someone with a non-numbers engine or transmission that has a VIN stamping that messed-up  :alan2cents: they only appear like that when it matters

:takealook: I think I see "0B187 22" about 3-weeks later

YYZ

The door tag may provide an explanation -- usually the 'Courier' font is seen when the car is pulled off the line for other operations such as quality control.

This could potentially mean that this particular Challenger was in the plant for longer than normal, perhaps long enough for engine dates to align.

That said, the hand stamping of the number doesn't look great.  I'd want to see better photos of the pad itself as untouched blocks tend to have a certain pattern and appearance from the original machining that a modified pad wont.