Main Menu

'70 e-body reproduction-style modern radio options

Started by 6bblgt, February 08, 2021, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

Quote from: Skdmark on February 08, 2021, 08:46:12 PM
I've been eyeing one of these.

http://www.vintageautoradio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=100&category_id=4&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=67
I have that same radio from the same source. I don't remember brand, but I got some nice speakers from Wal-Mart and it sounds great. BUT, the push buttons dont always go back to the exact location so you have to turn the dial a little. Since the factory radio doesn't have a fader(or balance, forgot which) knob then its computer is used and you have to tune the radio to a station, then quickly turn knob all the way to the end of dial. Once you hear the same station, then you can set the balance or fade. Its a pain in the butt and it appears that once you disconnect power like pulling battery cable off, you have to start all over again. Also, it is bluetooth compatible, so instead of screwing with local channels I listen to XM or Pandora. One time the push buttons quit working when it was out of warranty. I called them and they charged $50 for a complete rebuild. Seemed high, but it was out of warranty and they did accept it and fixed it with fast turn around which is rare these days. When the day comes that I have to replace it, I will buy it again, unless I hear better reports about a different one. 

GoodysGotaCuda

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

BluRaySRT

njsteve

I said the heck with it and installed the old AM/FM Cassette deck that I had in my 70 Superbird back in high school (1979). I have kept the radio all these years. Plugged it in with some old Craig 6x10s under the rear deck. It sounds awesome - just the tone and sound style brought back a flood of memories, especially when I threw in my old Bob Seger tape. The hell with modern tech - go vintage.

Montclaire

Mine has a circa 1990s receiver, I think it's a kenwood.  I'm in no hurry to change it. The concours crowd has taken all of the fun out of this hobby. Let the next owner worry about it.