Main Menu

No dash lights

Started by usraptor, May 18, 2019, 05:10:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

1970 Cuda, original Rallye dash.  All gauges work correctly.  Turn signal and parking brake dash lights work. Dash Reverse lights works. Dome light works.  Headlights, tail lights and road lamps work. Flashers work.  3-speed wipers work. Dimmer switch rebuilt.  On the fuse block, the upper right hand fuse marked "instruments" has no power to either side of the fuse, key on or off.  Any ideas where to look next or what connections to check?  I'm at a lose.  :help: :clueless: :dunno: :huh:

Chryco Psycho

Check the back of the fuse block , there is a power bar that feeds all of the fuses on one side of the fuse block , there has to be a problem there or corrosion in the clips holding the fuse

usraptor

Thanks, Chryco, I'll check that next.

Chryco Psycho

:bigthumb:
you have to have power to the contacts on the center row of the fuse block

edison1970

I had the same problem. Mine was the dimmer switch. You can pull the plug off the back and put a jumper in to see if your light come on. If they do, switch needs to be cleaned or replaced.

dodj

That 'Instrument' feed comes from the dimmer switch. It's separate from the rest of the fuses. I'm thinking you have an issue with the dimmer switch. Check to make the sure the connector on the back is secure for a start.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

Says his dimmer was rebuilt but it may still be the problem

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 21, 2019, 09:25:38 PM
Says his dimmer was rebuilt but it may still be the problem
Ya, I agree. But the instrument fuse gets power from the dimmer switch and he said there was no power at the fuse. So since the dimmer has been rebuilt I was thinking maybe the dimmer got disconnected somehow?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

usraptor

Quote from: edison1970 on May 21, 2019, 07:33:51 PM
I had the same problem. Mine was the dimmer switch. You can pull the plug off the back and put a jumper in to see if your light come on. If they do, switch needs to be cleaned or replaced.

Edison1970, which plug are you referring to?  There are two plugs on the back of the dimmer switch.

usraptor

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 18, 2019, 05:17:57 PM
Check the back of the fuse block , there is a power bar that feeds all of the fuses on one side of the fuse block , there has to be a problem there or corrosion in the clips holding the fuse

Chryco, the power bar stops just below the instrument light fuse.  Power bar circled in red.  Fuse in question circled in blue. Please see pics.

dodj

Quote from: usraptor on May 22, 2019, 11:47:15 AM
Chryco, the power bar stops just below the instrument light fuse.  Power bar circled in red.  Fuse in question circled in blue. Please see pics.
The fuse in question gets it's power from the dimmer.....not the fuse block power bar.

edison1970

Pull the plug off the dimmer on the dash. Its a three wire plug. Put a jumper from the center to the one with the yellow wire. If the lights come one, the dimmer is still not working.

edison1970

Here is a picture

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: usraptor on May 22, 2019, 11:47:15 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 18, 2019, 05:17:57 PM

Got it  :twothumbsup:
Sorry to mislead you  :sorry:
just going from memory from a decade ago , no wiring diagrams here at all .
so the problem has to be power from the headlight switch or the dimmer again

mopar jack

Make sure that your switch panel is grounded. Many times people leave the screw out that completes the ground. If you are testing the switches with the panel not mounted just use an old alligator jumper lead from the area that is circled red to a good body/chassis ground. see attached