Main Menu

Rallye Dash Wiring Questions

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, January 16, 2019, 08:03:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Finally got my dash back together but since the car came to me disassembled, I wanted to check that my connections are correct. First up, the orange wire from the light bar was routed to the side and down. Is this the correct path? I assume it plugs into the three way gang plug that's also orange. True?

70 Challenger Lover

The only damage I found is in the next pic. At the main loom near the switch panel, there is a small orange wire that was cut. I found the orange wire seen in picture two in the box of stuff and I am guessing it is the wire cut off. Anyone know if this is true before I reattach it?

What does this wire go to?

70 Challenger Lover

In the next two pics, these connectors are by the bulkhead connector. I was curious what they connect to. I'm guessing the solo white wire goes to something coming in through the firewall like the tach wire. Is this true?

On the other two connectors, I can't find anything they might connect to so I'm guessing they are unused on this low optioned car. More curious than concerned.

70 Challenger Lover

I should have clarified the other two I was referring to are the solo white wires with the three way gang plugs. I know the other two connectors go into the column wiring.

70 Challenger Lover

One final question...again for curiosity, what the last plug for? I assume the two yellow wires are for a light group but what about the plugs with the yellow/black wires and the red wires?

70 Challenger Lover

Chryco Psycho

The orange wires are the dimmable dash lights , yes the dash lights plug into the tri plug
The cut orange wire looks correct , reconnect it , it should also plug into the tri plug

Chryco Psycho

Single white wire is the brake lights from the brake switch on the pedal
Last picture could be the light delay timer A01 pkg

Slotts

Just ready to post and Neil beats me to it!  Toché :haha: :rofl:

Here's what I had written...

I will use the last three digits of each of these pictures:

C73
Male bullet connector from light bar plugs into the orange wire with three female sockets. If you have an automatic console light and ash tray light, they will also plug in there.

92B
The orange wire that is cut short is the feed to your switch panel light fixture that shine through the bottom of the switch panel plastic frame and lights the heater control panel.

Male bullet connector for the light bar feed.

DD7
Single white female socket plugs onto the brake light switch. The other line will be a double pink wire paired into a single female socket. Polarity does not matter which side of the switch they plug into.

6DE
Those two three position female sockets are switched ignition on 12 volt power feeds. 

There is a short pigtail connector fitted with a diode that plugs into that two position female connector. That enables the headlight warning buzzer, if left on after the ignition is shut off.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

70 Challenger Lover

You all passed the test!

Thanks, though. Great responses. Very helpful.

headejm

Quote from: Slotts on January 17, 2019, 04:59:22 AM
Just ready to post and Neil beats me to it!  Toché :haha: :rofl:

Here's what I had written...

I will use the last three digits of each of these pictures:

C73
Male bullet connector from light bar plugs into the orange wire with three female sockets. If you have an automatic console light and ash tray light, they will also plug in there.

92B
The orange wire that is cut short is the feed to your switch panel light fixture that shine through the bottom of the switch panel plastic frame and lights the heater control panel.

Male bullet connector for the light bar feed.

DD7
Single white female socket plugs onto the brake light switch. The other line will be a double pink wire paired into a single female socket. Polarity does not matter which side of the switch they plug into.

6DE
Those two three position female sockets are switched ignition on 12 volt power feeds. 

There is a short pigtail connector fitted with a diode that plugs into that two position female connector. That enables the headlight warning buzzer, if left on after the ignition is shut off.

Jim

@Slotts @Chryco Psycho   Two questions:

6DE photo - what typically gets plugged into those three position female connectors? I currently have one of the plugs with nothing plugged up. The other has one green wire plugged into it. I also found a loose black wire near by that had a bullet male connector. I plugged that in but not sure if I should have. These are all near the steering column connectors.

316 photo - headlight warning buzzer. I do not have the short pigtail connector fitted with the diode. Do I need one? Can I buy or make one?

:thankyou:

Slotts

Quote from: headejm on May 01, 2019, 01:29:27 PM

@Slotts @Chryco Psycho   Two questions:

6DE photo - what typically gets plugged into those three position female connectors? I currently have one of the plugs with nothing plugged up. The other has one green wire plugged into it. I also found a loose black wire near by that had a bullet male connector. I plugged that in but not sure if I should have. These are all near the steering column connectors.

316 photo - headlight warning buzzer. I do not have the short pigtail connector fitted with the diode. Do I need one? Can I buy or make one?

:thankyou:

The two tan wires with black three position female sockets are accessory power feeds. Some of the options that can plug into these could be road lamp power or a rear defogger power. Yes, the 70 did give six positions at that location. The "loose black wire" that you mentioned may just be the emergency brake switch line. I would ask you to look at your emergency brake if it is missing a wiring connection.

Yes, the 70 harness needs that diode dongle plugged in and you can certainly make your own. It's not rocket science.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

headejm

@Slotts Here is a photo of the mysterious black wire with the male bullet connector. Wiring diagrams are not much help and it looks logical that it would plug into one of the three position accessory female plugs. It is not for the emergency brake (that is plugged in and working).

Also, on the lower left hand side of the photo is an extra blue wire with a 90 degree black connector. This wire was plugged into my fuel gauge along with another blue wire on the other terminal  of the fuel gauge. My fuel gauge was not working so I replaced this extra blue wire with one of the black wires that connect the three gauges as per the wiring diagram. The good news is my fuel gauge is now working. Bad news is I have this extra blue wire now. My car is a SE with the overhead console and low fuel warning light. Any idea what this blue wire should go to? Nothing close by that looks logical to plug it into. Based on the connector, it would have to be a screw type male connector like the gauges have.

JS29

I believe that blue wire dose go to the fuel Gage, over by the glove compartment to the right there should be a relay. part # 2983828,it is for the low fuel warning lamp. and acts in place of the voltage limiter that is ware the blue wire leads to. right now you are hooked up as per a non over head console vehicle.   :alan2cents: