Main Menu

Reverse lights stopped working

Started by erik70rt, May 08, 2018, 04:32:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

New electrical gremlins! When I took my fish out for its first ride of the year, I noticed the back up lights and the reverse light on the dash stopped working (4 spd). I checked the fuses and all is good. Any other quick check ideas before I go and pull out the circuit testing light?

New electrical gremlins! When I took my fish out for its first ride of the year, I noticed the back up lights and the reverse light on the dash stopped working (4 spd). I checked the fuses and all is good. Any other quick check ideas before I go and pull out the circuit testing light?

Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

anlauto

I had to adjust the reverse lock-out linkage to get the light to come on. I guess it was holding the rod back just enough so it wouldn't engage the switch...If you push real hard in reverse does it make a difference ?

Why not look under the car to make sure the plug didn't fall off... :veryexcited:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

It is a simple circuit , power out through the firewall to the trans switch , back to the firewall ,m goes through the body to the tailights & grounds through the bulbs , dash light is not working so it has to be between the power feed / trans switch & connector back inside the car , trans plug is the first place I would look .

erik70rt

Finally got under the dash tonight to find the problem.  Looks like the wiring came out of the bulkhead.  So when I pulled out the FSM to trace where it should connect, I got confused a little.  The lead wire from the dash reverse indicator light was connected to the violet wire on the main harness.  This connection is what came loose.  From the schematic I have, it looks like it should connect in the top spot where the black wire with the white highlight comes into the bulkhead (engine side).  When I connected it - still nothing.  So I looked at the schematic that came with the indicator and it shows it connecting to the violet wire from the engine side.  So I did that and still nothing. 

Where should the lead for the indicator light be connected?  I assume violet to violet for the harness/bulkhead.

This is for my '68 barracuda.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

HP_Cuda

Yep it should be violet to violet.

I would check your grounds and that is usually what creates such problems.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200