Main Menu

This is an interesting problem.

Started by FSHTAIL, August 13, 2017, 09:47:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

So under the dash the previous owners bypassed the connecting harness where it looks like at one time the wire fried at the connector.        Bad crimp connects and I was unable to contort to get it it with my soldering gun/heat shrink.. 

I used male/female crimp connectors and they're rock solid then I followed with heat shrink over them. 

Now..    when I use my turnsignal the stereo goes off.     

Mannn

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Cuda Cody

Is it a ground issue?  It seems like 90% of the time my electrical problems end up being a ground issue.  :notsure:

FSHTAIL

I'll inspect further.   
I need to charge my back up a few more days before contorting under the dash again. 

RUNCHARGER

Seems like a minor problem but if I'm going to be a while chasing wires and such I pull the steering wheel and driver's seat out. It takes minutes to do and makes it so much easier. I agree on a potential ground problem, although I guess it worked okay before.
Sheldon

YellowThumper

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on August 13, 2017, 09:59:39 AM
I'll inspect further.   
I need to charge my back up a few more days before contorting under the dash again. 

I hear ya on that problem.
I highly recommend removing a seat. Well worth the minimal effort.

My2c Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

soundcontrol

Sounds like a ground problem, or the stereo positive is hooked up in the wrong place.

FSHTAIL

I haven't even looked into what it takes to remove the seat.      The slider track is somewhat stuck.

blown motor

Four nuts on the underside of the floor.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

:iagree: 4 nuts from the underside of the car and presto....  seat is out.

FSHTAIL

Nice.    Knowing my luck on this car so far, they welded it in. 

dodj

I'll bet it has something to do with your recent repair.  Did the stereo work fine before you fixed the connection?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

FSHTAIL

The stereo had interference with the way the previous owner rats nested the MSD6AL...   
I redid the MSD the proper way and took it from being mounted under the dash behind the ash tray to under the battery tray underhood. 
The stereo now functions properly and even plays while the engine is running..  :)

But yeah, turnsignals turn the stereo off, hitting a big bump in the road turns it off..     
It'll pop back on after a few seconds. 

I have another issue as of tonight..   
The alt died and I got hope tonight from a car show via candlelight..   

RUNCHARGER

Does your amp gauge work? It sounds like there's a possibility a short killed your battery. Did the amp gauge indicate a heavy discharge?
Sheldon

FSHTAIL

It turned out that this was a result of a bad alternator and I was running so low on juice that anytime I use the turn signal killed what little juice the stereo was getting

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Cuda Cody

Glad you found it!  Thanks for letting us know.  :bradsthumb:

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on September 06, 2017, 10:07:13 PM
It turned out that this was a result of a bad alternator and I was running so low on juice that anytime I use the turn signal killed what little juice the stereo was getting

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk