Main Menu

Wiring diagram for 2 speed 70-71 E-body wiper motor

Started by daryld, October 25, 2020, 09:05:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

daryld

Good people

Before I go down the road of purchasing another 2 speed wiper motor, I am going to test the motor that was in the car when I purchased it. The motor was never wired and was missing the resistor.  I have purchased a NOS resistor and a wiring harness from Classic Industries. I have the 2 speed switch that was in the car and after testing the switch it appears to be working fine. What i need now is a little help wiring this thing up.

Can someone please tell me what each color on the harness is for? Which color has which value? Which is constant power (if not red), which is negative, which is ignition? I am attaching a link to the wiring harness I purchased if someone wants to look at it.

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/plymouth/barracuda/parts/md4511.html

The main wiring harness the car came with was a inexpensive drag racing harness that the builder simply added to it instead of using a more expensive Painless system. So I am not sure if seeing a diagram of how the factory harness was wired to the 2 speed wiring harness would help.

I do have one other question and that is what was the cooper piece bolted by the resistor used for? I do not have this piece and need to know if it is needed to make the motor work? The resistor I have has what looks to be a cooper strap that secures it to the motor. I am just unsure what the intent of the other cooper piece is and if it is needed.

I hear @Slotts is the expert when it comes to this subject.

Any help you could lend me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless.

Daryl

anlauto

I saved this years ago, not sure if it will help...

Use a battery or battery charger for this procedure.

Connect ground from battery or negative post of charger to brass ground strap on wiper motor.

2 SPEED TEST PROCEDURE

Jump the P2 terminal to the ground.

Connect 12v positive to H terminal.  Motor should run on high speed.

Connect the L terminal to the resistor and positive to the other side of the resistor, motor should run on Low speed.

Now, remove the ground from the P2 terminal and ground the L terminal and jumper positive to P1 and the motor should park.

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

Quote from: daryld on October 25, 2020, 09:05:18 AM
I hear @Slotts is the expert when it comes to this subject.

Any help you could lend me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless.
Daryl

I believe you'll find your answer in the following thread from 2017. See Reply#41 from Slotts

https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/please-help-with-2-speed-wiper-motorwiring/377/30

JonH

Please don't use a battery charger to do electrical testing. You run a risk of damage. If you are referring to the copper strip that goes over to the mounting stud, yes you need it as it supplies a good ground to your wiper motor.