Main Menu

year one wire harnesses

Started by nsmall, June 17, 2017, 04:14:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Based on all my research I am thinking I need to spring the $$$$ for new wiring.

I have a 73 Cuda with rallye gauges.

I have what am assuming to be stock ignition?  Attached are some photos.  I dont know if my set up is stock so I need your input on this.

Are these the correct harnesses I want?

https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/hu329e

https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/hu1

https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/hu5

https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/rl77

There is an option for 70 and 71 engine harnesses that have an electronic ignition, but not for 73.  So Im assuming I have picked the correct set up as 73 only has one engine harness set up?

Are the yearone harnesses 100% factory correct?  As in totally plug and play ready to go?

I guess I will keep my ammeter set up even though redlines near where I live can can do the volt conversion for $250.

Lastly, what type of wire grease should I buy to ensure the longevity of the new set up?

Thanks in advance.

I also included photos of areas where it doesn't look so good.

Cuda Cody

I have not done a 73, but all the 70 and 71's that I have used M&H wiring on they have been spot on.  Plug and play just and all the same color as the factory manual.

JH27N0B

M&H harnesses, which are what Year One sells, are the only way to go.
Best to buy when you can find a YO 30% off code.
One frustrating thing with these is that they are often backordered and you might have to wait several months to get one or more of what you ordered.  I used them on my T/A and several harnesses arrived right away, but my tail light harness took 3 months to show up.
Worth the wait, they were perfect!
Sorry I don't know the particulars on '73, other than M&H is a good company and they should be accurate for what they say.
BTW: although YO has an exclusive deal to sell M&H, Megaparts sells them also through some sort of arrangment with YO.  Megaparts as great customer service whereas YO will keep you in the dark about backorderes.

7212Mopar

Got my engine harness from YO when they had the 30% sale. I did had to add the AC wire at the firewall connector. It did not come with it but it is plug and play. Looks like your connector melted just like mine did.

I am actually cleaning up the firewall bulkhead connector now before putting engine back in. Both the black and red main power wires shows sign of overheat but not too bad. I will be adding dielectric grease after clean up. Make sure connectors are all seated and not loose. I will be bypassing the amp meter. May be add the wire from alternator to the starter relay down the line as well.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Ornamental

@nsmall
The M&H wiring were spot on for my 1972 Challenger, and I've replaced everything but the dome light.
The only new wiring issue I've ever had that weren't my own stupid fault were the wires from the steering column going into the main dashboard harness, where the big black and red wires were swapped. That was an easy fix.

@JH27N0B
Thank you for mentioning Megaparts, I wasn't aware of them and their great customer service. Good to know!

Chryco Psycho

I am thinking by 73 they all had electronic ign so you just need 73 with ralley gauges

Shane Kelley

Yes 73 came with electronic ignition from the factory. That's why it's only listed that way. Mopar Dave @ Roseville can get the M&H harnesses also. He also offers wiring  from Evan's wiring. Super nice product also and fast delivery. I have used many of them and they are spot on in every detail. Just like the factory original. I almost always have my harness within the week I order it. Usually within 3 to 4 days. Wiring up these cars are really easy when you have a new quality wiring harness.

Jay Bee

Looks like you're replacing everything - so, if your car is an automatic might as well throw in the neutral safety switch.

https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/hu255n

1 Wild R/T

I've used Evans on four occasions, never by choice & every one has had issues.....Won't use them again....

M&H has been trouble free...

shawge

Only issue I had with M&H harnesses was with a few loose bulkhead connector crimps on the engine wiring.  Haven't let the magic smoke out yet.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

MoparLeo

First, M&H, YearOne are the best way to go plug and play wise. Second, Make sure to use plenty of dielectric grease on all connections. Third, as can be seen on the picture with the burned bulkhead connector, do the volt gauge conversion to eliminate the dreaded dash fire ! Many articles on the internet are available detailing the conversion. Simply one of the best upgrades you can do to protect your car. Bulkhead connectors as well as all the different wiring connectors are available new.
:wrenching:
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

nsmall

@MoparLeo

I've seen the bulkhead connectors for sale but it seems a little crazy to try to rewire everything but maybe I'm not understanding the dash wiring situation.  Right now for a whole new Dash wiring set up ( it looks like it comes with the bulkhead connector????) from yearone I can get it for $375 Seems fair.

As for the dielectric grease....any recommendations of which brand?

Thanks

Cuda Cody

@MoparLeo  is right.  Use dielectric grease.   :yes:  Most parts houses sell it in a small tube.

Chryco Psycho

I have used a number of Evans harnesses with no issues at all but I have heard wire placement can be wrong at the bulkhead so do a side by side check with the old harness or wiring diagram before installing .

RusTy/SE

I have replaced the main engine harness on a 1973 Rallye Challenger with the YO piece. This was 2005 or so. I just laid the new harness out over the engine bay, then unplugged my old hacked wiring working around from the (disconnected) battery area ccw to the horn(s) area - plug and play 100%. The harness I used was HU1, the second link you posted.

I've no hands on experience installing the other harnesses listed, but back in April 2007 I picked a similar set of 4 from YO for my 1970 R/T SE. I hope there isn't a short shelf life on them...

Yes it's $$$$ - but $$$$ well spent. :twothumbsup:
JS29U0B

There are no traffic jams along the extra mile - Roger Staubach