Main Menu

71 Cuda 340 - Kick Down Linkage

Started by Crocha617, April 19, 2017, 05:07:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Crocha617

Does anyone have a decent photo of a CORRECT factory style kick down linkage on an ebody? I have a 71 cuda with a 340 and an edelbrock carb. I found that I'm only getting about 60-70% throttle travel on my setup. I'm not sure what's wrong and
I'd like to get some opinions before I start bending rods and messing with stuff.

Cuda Cody

I thought I saw a diagram in the Reference library.  I'll check when I get home.

Crocha617

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 19, 2017, 05:12:22 PM
I thought I saw a diagram in the Reference library.  I'll check when I get home.

Thanks Cody. I found several old diagrams on the Web but they were pretty unclear and there were several different versions for different years. 318-340-360 , 2 barrel, 4 barrel etc...

MoparDave

318/340/360 One 4-Barrel Carb, 3-Piece Kickdown Linkage. Fits 1967-74 A-Body, 1970-71 E-Body, & 1967-74 B-Body with Original 3-Piece Style Linkage. Kit Includes Linkage with Upper & Lower Bellcranks, Transmission Throttle Lever, Return Spring & Hardware.

I know its not on the car but maybe for reference
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Cuda Cody

This might be of some value....

http://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Master_Technician_Service_Conference/71-2_Shift_Quality_and_Linkage_Adjustment.pdf

Since you said you're only getting 60 - 70% throttle, is it a throttle cable issue?  Or can you see the kickdown stopping it from full travel?

Cuda Cody

From the 1971 Parts Manual in our Reference Library.   ;)     (click to enlarge)

Cuda Cody

@Crocha617   maybe you can post a photo of yours and we might see something that you have over looked?  :notsure:  Just a thought.

Burdar

Here is a Chrysler video showing how the system works and how to adjust the linkage.  You can watch the entire thing or fast forward to the adjustment procedure.(around the 12 minute mark) There is a special tool that holds the trans throttle lever all the way forward during adjustment.  You can rig something up to hold it or have someone help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY9WTWayCC8

I did it a little different.  I held the throttle lever all the way back.  Then adjusted the linkage while the carb is at wide open throttle.  This ensures that the trans gets full line pressure when you floor it.

Crocha617

Crocha617

Burdar

That's a one piece linkage.  My 73 318 has that style.  The adjustment procedure for that setup is also in the video.

Crocha617

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 19, 2017, 06:06:54 PM
This might be of some value....

http://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Master_Technician_Service_Conference/71-2_Shift_Quality_and_Linkage_Adjustment.pdf

Since you said you're only getting 60 - 70% throttle, is it a throttle cable issue?  Or can you see the kickdown stopping it from full travel?

The kick down linkage is stopping it. It was only getting 50% but after playing with it a bit I was able to get a bit more. I plan on spending some time on it this weekend. Just trying to gather as much info as possible now.

Crocha617

Looks like I am supposed to have the 3 piece linkage Mopardave posted  instead of the 1 piece.

Got JOB

The linkage is sitting low. Is it originally 2 barrel linkage ? If it is , it can still work by adding length to the rod. This pic shows the linkage I added a section to and it worked perfect. Didn't look correct but worked great.

Crocha617

I think I know what the issue is now I just need to spend some time and try and do something with it. I believe my kick down linkage rod is actually too long. I slid the linkage adjustment all the way forward and it's still jamming up when the throttle opens up. I have some extra linkage parts I need to dig out and see if one of the other ones might work better. This car was put together by someone else so I'm not sure what parts they used on it.