Main Menu

Best heads for a 408 Stroker (Magnum)

Started by 71cuda#match, August 27, 2018, 01:11:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71cuda#match

I have a 408" stroker with factory Magnum heads and looking at options for replacement heads for better flow numbers and HP for my 71 Cuda.   I realize making the head choice depends on a whole lot of factors, but I would like to see what everyones opinions are on this topic.

It is a Blueprint Engines 408 Stroker so it is a pre-92 360 Magnum block with:
SCAT cast iron 4" Stroker crankshaft
Keith Black (416) hypereutectic pistons (dished with valve reliefs), 40 over, Zero Decked  CR = 9.5-1
Chrysler 360 Magnum heavy beam rods with ARP bolts, balanced
Hastings moly rings
Melling high-volume Oil pump
Comp Cams # 20-670-4 Flat tappet hydraulic lifter Camshaft (basically a Purple Shaft grind)
                 .474 int / .474 exh & .238 int /.238 exh duration@ .050 – 110 degree lobe sep.
1.92" swirl polished intake valves
1.625" swirl polished exhaust valves

So, Indy MA-X, Edel RPM Performer, EQ heads, RHS or other for the money? 

jimynick

I've heard others refer to Airwolf heads and I bought a set of the ProForms, but haven't gotten them on yet and so can't push one way or another. You'll get more feedback. :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

Eddy would be my last choice , RHS & Airwolf I believe were bought out , I believe Trick Flow is making Small block heads shortly so look at those

Bullitt-

I didn't think the "Magnum" 360 was introduced until '92..   :clueless:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 27, 2018, 10:49:26 PM
Eddy would be my last choice , RHS & Airwolf I believe were bought out , I believe Trick Flow is making Small block heads shortly so look at those
I got the specs on the Trick Flow heads. Nothing awesome but decent and they haven't released any for retail sale yet. 280 cfm @ .500 lift. That's their provided numbers.

Myself, I like the Eddy heads right out of the box but they do a lot better with some porting.  Good bang for the buck but nothing awesome.

Bruce Toth is selling aluminum heads under his own name. "TOTH PERFORMANCE"  He is selling them ported or un ported. Pricing looks pretty good.

The best heads that I'm aware of are the Indy 360's or the Mopar W series. The down side is they require specific headers, intake and valve train. $$$ So a cylinder head change can end up being pretty expensive when you factor everything in. But they will definitely make the most power.  :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
W series Rule just far more expensive to set up

ledphoot

Engines are a complete package, everything needs to be thought of as you put it together, including things external to the engine like stall speed / gearing etc. if you want to be pleased with the results.

I used edelbrocks, but they've been gone through by a competent head porter (retired), stock they flowed 250 @ .500 252 @ .600, they were able to bring that up to 280 @ .500 / 289 @ .600.  The intake / exhaust runners were ported, the chambers slightly reshaped, intake valves  increased to 2.08". Custom JE pistons were used to get a perfect quench and 10:1 compression. With the $20 break-in headers and a far too-small carburetor from my prior 400HP 340 she dynoed 470 HP. My engine builder believes with the TTI's and the EFI properly dialed in she will do 500HP+.  I am running a slightly larger cam profile, the Comp Cams .507/.510 grind.

Give these guys a call and talk to them about what you want out of your motor and see what they have to say with regards to heads: http://www.immengines.com/

gzig5

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 30, 2018, 12:56:42 AM
:iagree:
W series Rule just far more expensive to set up

Truth^^^^
I was heading hard down the W2 path but the $1500 rocker setup  and bespoke headers and intakes have given me pause.  I'm waiting to see how the TF turn out before I commit.  From the info I've seen they will come CNC ported and will flow better than the currently available stuff and would hang with unported W2 heads.  But the W2/Indy heads with the relocated pushrods have more flow potential. 

For the OP, if you are not going with a balls out cam and everything else to take advantage of the additional cylinder capacity, you won't be fully utilizing the flow potential of the W2 head.  For the street, something with a smaller port to keep flow velocity up is probably preferable too so regular style heads do well.  I don't have direct experience but have done a lot of research in recent months and hear very good things about the IMM tweaked Indy heads.  I've also heard that you don't want to deal directly with Indy, go through a vendor.  If you need/want Aluminum I understand the Proform are a great value, but the new Trick Flow may be the cat's derriere for just a little more money than the IMM Indy. The previous is worth every bit that you paid for it   :alan2cents:

71cuda#match

I am leaning towards the Indy (RHS) MA-X heads with a port and polish.   Thanks for your input.

RUNCHARGER

That's a pretty good choice I think. I was lucky and found a complete Ported W-2 package (heads, rockers, intake) for my son's 360, I think it will prefer a stroker but we'll try it with the lil 360 first.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

71cuda#match

Well I finally installed my Indy MA-X heads on my 408" stroker, and love the extra power they make.

I went with the 2.055 valves and love it.  I have not dyno'd it yet, but hope too.  Thanks for all your past input !  Mike