Main Menu

Best order for a833 swap ? Suggestions please

Started by Purepony, October 22, 2020, 11:57:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I know you don't care about originality, but those pedals are correct for 73-74 and not for 70-72. THEY WILL WORK with no problems. Not shown in you picture is the clutch pedal safety switch. This could determine why the Brewers set-up cost more.

I think it would be a heck of a job installing that whole assembly in your car with the dash assembly and power brake booster in the way. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Purepony

My cars a 74. The switch happens to be rare and brewers only sells the switch but requires a core and I don't have one. I know there's were two on eBay one for 449 and another for 499. I'm still holding out on the switch, the reverse light, a few other things and the carpet. I already went out of budget so I'm going to have to wait at least until I go back to work... if everything goes well

On the switch I might have to go with a different solution but we'll see right now I would really just like to get the car running safely since it's been sitting since 2014.

Chryco Psycho

HP2

Gotta admit, I swapped the auto to a 4 spd in my '74, didn't wire in the clutch switch with the original harness, and everything started up just fine.

Still wondering what you're doing to fit the T56 in the trans tunnel with the structural member right where the shifter will go.

RUNCHARGER

$5 limit switch will do the job or go without. The T56 swap was not into a Mopar HP2 from what I read.
Sheldon

Purepony

I have an 833 with od that's going in this car. I have a t56 I installed in my camaro
Almost done with pedal install
Hopefully today's the day 😒

jamesroney

Quote from: HP2 on October 23, 2020, 06:41:13 AM
My Challenger had a slot in the frame rail and a tab on the z-bar bracket. No guessing at all.
Mine was a 70 Challenger Convertible.  Maybe that was the difference???

BS23N0E

jamesroney

Quote from: Purepony on October 25, 2020, 10:10:48 AM
My cars a 74. The switch happens to be rare and brewers only sells the switch but requires a core and I don't have one. I know there's were two on eBay one for 449 and another for 499. I'm still holding out on the switch, the reverse light, a few other things and the carpet. I already went out of budget so I'm going to have to wait at least until I go back to work... if everything goes well

On the switch I might have to go with a different solution but we'll see right now I would really just like to get the car running safely since it's been sitting since 2014.

You don't need a safety switch.   Just ground the wire.  You will be as safe as every other brand of pony car built from 64-72.  I defeated the clutch switch on my 'cuda.  Don't need it, isn't any safer, and drives me crazy when I want to crank in Neutral.  Mopar / Jeep even gives you the option on the Wrangler to insert a fuse and defeat the clutch safety switch.

Same is true for the reverse lockout.  Doesn't seem to prevent vehicle theft.  Just forces you to put the car in Reverse to twist the key. 

And I leave that giant spring on the bench.  But since I run the 1985 Corvette 10-3/4 (actually 10-7/8) scalloped pressure plate, and the mopar 11 inch disc, (actually 10-7/8)  I don't need the extra over-center spring, have light pedal pressure, and the biggest clutch that will fit a 130 tooth flywheel.

BS23N0E

JonH

Certainly you don't NEED a clutch safety switch...But once you have seen someone reach in, and turn the key to start a manual transmission car, thinking/assuming it is in neutral, car starts and runs into a brick wall you might feel a little differently...I bet I am not the only to see that happen

HP2

Quote from: Purepony on October 26, 2020, 08:49:38 AM
I have an 833 with od that's going in this car. I have a t56 I installed in my camaro
Almost done with pedal install
Hopefully today's the day 😒

Gotcha. Thought you were sticking that in the E body.

Chryco Psycho

A simple brake light switch will also work so the pedal has to be depressed at least 1" for the car to start

Purepony

Installed the clutch so at lease I got that done

The pedals I can't finish I need a second helper to put the booster in while I hold the bracket up so we'll see how that goes and I broke the heater control cable 😬

Purepony