Main Menu

Carb size for my setup

Started by erik70rt, June 05, 2017, 07:17:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Shane Kelley

Quote from: erik70rt on June 17, 2017, 02:36:14 PM
Got the Proform carb installed today.  Had to do some fuel line re-plumbing, but nothing bad.  All I have to say is............

WOW!!!!  What a difference!   :woohoo: :woohoo: :veryexcited: :veryexcited:

Kudos for the carb recommendation.  :thankyou: It idles MUCH better at 850 rpm.  Response was good off the line and jumped when the 4bbl was kicked.  When you came to a stop it didn't struggle to keep running.  I also didn't have my garage smell like gas when I put it away. 

Now to start the fine tuning.
That's excellent!  :banana:

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: One day I'm going to buy a new, state of the art carb. I've played with cars for 45 years and generally I buy carbs that other guys couldn't get running right, or old #'s carbs and I go through them and use them. Just once I'd like to take a new one out of the box and bolt it on.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 18, 2017, 09:28:37 AM
Ha, ha: One day I'm going to buy a new, state of the art carb. I've played with cars for 45 years and generally I buy carbs that other guys couldn't get running right, or old #'s carbs and I go through them and use them. Just once I'd like to take a new one out of the box and bolt it on.

You've done it the hard way long enough, you don't need no stinking ez-carb.... :rofl:  Personally I think the fuel these days is a huge part of the problem....

RUNCHARGER

Actually yes: I installed a dual body Fitech on Greg's car last year and that's the way to go. Easier to punch numbers in than turn a screwdriver.
Sheldon

erik70rt

Time to start tuning.  All I did when I took it out of the box and fired up the car was set the idle and idle mixture screws.  I let the car sit for a day and then started it.  It was getting way too much fuel at start up so a choke adjustment is in order.  Once I have that done, what is the best way to analyze/adjust the air bleed settings?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 18, 2017, 09:28:37 AM
You have no idea what you are missing !! Efi is still better though

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: erik70rt on June 19, 2017, 06:14:02 AM
Time to start tuning.  All I did when I took it out of the box and fired up the car was set the idle and idle mixture screws.  I let the car sit for a day and then started it.  It was getting way too much fuel at start up so a choke adjustment is in order.  Once I have that done, what is the best way to analyze/adjust the air bleed settings?
there is a tuning guide in the reference section go through all that first , I would have the choke so it is just barely closed when cold if that , make sue the float level is right , sounds like the power valve is ok , if the idle screws are responsive & around 3/4 -1 1/4 turns out your idle bleeds are fine so now you need to work on jetting youcan go by plug color or a O2 sensor is better to tune with Proform generally sis very close with the bleed size so that would be one of the last things I would tweak
you need to get the accelerator pump p& jetting dialed in first

erik70rt

You mentioned that once before and I printed the tuning tips out.   Then forgot all about it!  LOL 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.